Football Programmes Centre

Who Collects Souvenir Pirate Programmes?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Who Collects Souvenir Pirate Programmes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:19 pm 
Post subject: Who Collects Souvenir Pirate Programmes?

Always an emotive talking point, very much a Marmite issue I feel.

Personally, i love them and the more Heath Robinson[crudely printed] the more interesting.

A number of printers looking to earn a few bob, some clever ones who would print in 2 colours so their sellers could catch out the 2 competing sets of fans.

Anyone who would like to add anything of any interest please feel free.

My Oldest one is from 1909 with the WH Smith Souvenir issue from the 1909 English Cup Final which can be seen amongst this selection
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjfvtCFz

but i am also showing a few at random

Everton v Manchester United FA Cup 5th Round Season 1952-3 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Home Farm v Manchester United 1976 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Walthamstow Avenue v Manchester United F.A. Cup 4th Round Replay at Arsenal Season 1952-3 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Manchester United v Leeds United-FA Cup "Pirate Souvenir" programme from the 4th Round of the FA Cup in 1950-1951. United won 4-0 in front of 55,434. by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Some of course are far Rarer than the official ones, but for years and years ago in the main clolectors frowned on them saying they were worthless tat-not for me they are not!!

Anyway, maybe you can post up some from your collections Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:27 pm 
Post subject:

Don't like them to be honest.

Although, there's a nice man in the Ukraine somewhere Laughing

All mine, as the link below

www.flickr.com/photos/sharrowblade/albums/72157626649733481
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:33 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:

Fair Enough

But in some cases there was never an official programme produced with only the Pirate being the only thing available.

The Ukraine, is that near Batley? Sherlock Laughing Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:48 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:

Fair Enough

But in some cases there was never an official programme produced with only the Pirate being the only thing available.

The Ukraine, is that near Batley? Sherlock Laughing Wave

I've been to Batley's Rugby League ground on a few occasions.

Mount Pleasant..... probably the least apt name for a ground ever.
EFC_Graeme

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:57 pm 
Post subject:

I’ve got a few from some of the Everton European games. As mentioned they come in handy to fill a gap if no official programmes are produced.
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:22 pm 
Post subject:

Love them personally, but only the older "proper printed" ones, not the more modern computer generated crap.
farmersboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:29 pm 
Post subject:

I've only ever bought one, on my way to the City Ground, Nottingham for 5th round cup tie in 1974, I bought a programme from a seller, red cover with picture of the FA cup. After briefly flicking through the pages I realised it was a pirate. I rushed back to the seller, a pimply youth, and demanded my money back, which he gave me. Funnily enough, I saw a blue copy on sale outside Stamford Bridge the following season.

Actually I would quite like one now, as it was all part of the day.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:08 pm 
Post subject:

On e bay at present

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:49 pm 
Post subject:

3rd Division Crystal Palace brought over Real Madrid in 1962 to commemorate the new floodlights. It was Real Madrid's first ever game in London I believe

Palace hoped for a 40,000 crowd in order to cover the costs of Real Madrids fee for coming over. They charged a high price for the tickets compared to usual, but every fan got a programme on entry into the ground (so there were no official programmes on sale outside).

Pirates were sold outside though.

On the night it hammered down with rain all night, and only 25,000 attended.

As a result of there being 40,000 programmes printed, the official programme for the game is probably the most common Palace programme on ebay even today - there are more than 20 on there now and you can buy it now for a quid.

The Pirate programme is the rarer one (two on ebay now in comparison) and is rubbish item in comparison, but as a collector it's too tempting not to have in your collection, as the interesting 'variant'!

Can't say I care at all for modern pirate issues, but I have been to England games abroad, where all that is on sale is a pirate, and for a few euros, it's nice to have something to take home that you got out there, and then you go on the hunt of the real thing which was never available to you the mere mortal fan on the night!
holtie96

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:12 pm 
Post subject: Pirate

On Leslie’s point about a programme not being issued hence the pirate option, does anyone know if this is an official programme for the Basque v Wales friendly in 2006? It’s poor quality and content but had never seen one before
Many thanks Thumbs Up
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:16 pm 
Post subject:

They're nice to have as novelty items but I wouldn't fork out big money for them. There's one for the 1948 Cup S/F between Derby and Man Utd which had a three figure sum being asked for last time I saw it on auction. Crazy.

Some variable quality pirates produced for a number of the post-war Amateur Cup Finals that I've picked up for not very much down the years. As I say - novelty items, nothing more.

Here's a couple of them:

holtie96

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:24 pm 
Post subject: Prog

In love this version and wish it was mine! As they say sometimes ‘you only had one job!’
Classic cover!
Very Happy
AndyBRFC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 pm 
Post subject:

first up is a 1965/66 FA Cup 6th Round, 2nd Reply at Ewood Park between Manchester City and Everton

then a 1965/66 FA Cup match at Carrow Road between Norwich City and Blackburn Rovers

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:32 pm 
Post subject:

Palace v Forest, FAC5, 20.2.1965. I don't actively collect them but bought this, aged 9, on the day and they are my own team changes so never chucking it away though it is awful.

slightfold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

I collect them too, but only if they were on sale at the game! Can't say honestly that I particularly like them though, at least they are kind of 'real.'
I can remember going to internationals in Cardiff in the early 60's and hearing "Programme, programme," being yelled on one corner and "Official programme," on the other. Lots who went only to the odd big game never knew the difference and parted with their tanner for a dodgy bit of folded cardboard with invariably a completely wrong team line up!
garyspain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:07 pm 
Post subject:

I also collect them but only those produced and sold at games.

I have no interest in those produced by bedroom bandits in Serbia, Ukraine, Netherlands or Brighton.

I have paid well for some in particular when no official programme was produced. Some examples from here include Shamrock Rovers late 60's friendlies v Man Utd, Everton and Celtic (69 - 68 had an official and pirate issue) where no official programmes were done. The Man Utd one sold for over £700 last year in Sportingold.

No official programme done for Bohemians v Hamburg 74 European game and I've never managed to get the pirate.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:56 pm 
Post subject:

I am a big fan of pirates and England internationals is rich source of these with loads of examples to bulk out your collection.
das

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:25 pm 
Post subject:

I've no real interest in them other than for a European away match that I was at where there was no official programme.

Even then it would have to be one on sale at the game.
garyspain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:15 pm 
Post subject:

I believe his name is Miguel from Madrid but he is reasonably famous for doing pirates for big Internationals and European games. They have a barcode on the cover normally and are in poor enough English. None to hand at the moment.

I know he has done them for Celtic, Rangers, Tottenham and Northern Ireland in Spain.

I first came across him in the away end in Lisbon for Portugal v Rep of Ireland 2000. He also showed up in Stuttgart 2006 and Bari 2009 selling in the cities. I spent a few hours trying to find him in Bari despite coming across people with the programme. I even asked my brother and sister who were there to buy some if they saw him.

His normal price is 5 euro so quite lucrative for him. In Bari and Lisbon his is all most fans would have seen. However the official German issue was only a euro in 2006.

I imagine some of these would be quite difficult to get now as he never seemed to sell on ebay.
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:37 pm 
Post subject:

At Germany 2006 I stumbled across him after the England 2nd round game against Ecuador in Stuttgart. He had not only that days (pirate programme) but all of the earlier games that I had been to, and I got them all.

People who buy them at the game will likely hold onto them in their collections for years, so they aren't going to be common at all.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: