Football Programmes Centre

Every Picture Tells A Story
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Every Picture Tells A Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:58 pm 
Post subject:

As a youth, (15 or 16) every summer the Sheffield R.A used to hold training sessions in our local park, I used to sometimes rock up with the old man (He was the secretary) and join in the match at the end.

There was this one lad, who was far fitter than everyone else, and during the match if you touched him he'd be on the floor, all in good nature I assure you. He'd throw himself about with a smile on his face.

They called him 'Uriah Rennie'.

The old man said 'he knows every trick in the book, he'll make to the football League'

Since then and that's about 40 years ago he still stops to say hello, when I see him and asks about me dad, if he's not with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:21 pm 
Post subject:

No mention of Mark Clattenburg then.... However, Mr Uriah Rennie, I always respected him as he was doing he best never to send anyone off, until - Leicester v Palace 97/8. He red-carded Marc Edworthy who tripped a Leicester player - fair enough - except the Leicester player had been off the pitch and came back on before being waved on - he shouldn't have been on the pitch! And that was his one red card! Moving on......

The League Liner, as it became known, started life in January 1973 with "Kick-Off Disco" emblazoned on it. League Secretary Alan Hardaker is here pointing at that and launching it for the 1st match, QPR v Burnley - so the Turfites were the first to use it. Anyone here on that train? And what about later journeys, who has memories of it, the disco, the food, late arrivals, smashed windows etc? And what of Mr Hardaker, who ran the league with a rod of iron back then? Over to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:39 pm 
Post subject:

Another little story about Uriah was the time he was given a lift by the manager of Caribbean Sports here in Sheffield, I understand he used to play for them occasionally to an away game at Norton Woodseats.

When he got out the car they parted ways in the car Park. Uriah dressed in full tracksuit headed for the officials gate only to be stopped by the gateman, an old fella about 80 odd, flat cap, ciggy hanging out the corner of his mouth.

'Can't come in here son' said the Gateman.
'You don't understand I'm the ref' said Uriah
'Players have to go down there' insisted the old man.
'No, I'm the ref, honest' pleaded a perplexed Uriah

Black referees were unheard off back then, and Uriah was getting nowhere.

The old boy looked him up and down
'Do you think I was born 'f***ing yesterday son, players down there'

It took some time to sort it out I tell yer, but that would be the last time Uriah turned up at a game in a full tracksuit of one of the teams playing'

Not the brightest move Laughing
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:41 pm 
Post subject:

No train-spotters on here - should have guessed, really.

The occasion was Stan Matthews' 25th anniversary in the game in 1956, little did we know he'd eventually stop playing just short of his 35th. With him here are Jim Laker and Sam Bartram and Joe Mercer is behind Stan. In that year, Laker took a record 19 Australian wickets in the Manchester test - having taken all 10 wickets in an innings for his county, Surrey, against the Aussies earlier that summer. He became the first cricketer to win SPOTY too. As for Bartram, a phenomenally good keeper and a true Charlton legend. And we all have various bits of info about Sir Stan, so let's discuss these four 50's superstars. I await with interest.

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 pm 
Post subject: Every Picture Tells A Story

Currently reading a Joe Mercer biography. Similar to Sharrowblade’s story about over zealous gatemen, Mercer was once nearly blocked from appearing for England against Northern lreland at Windsor Park, Belfast during the post - war period. Joe had promised a pal a ticket for the game . Prior to kick- off , he nipped out of the England dressing room to pass the ticket on to him . When he tried to get back into the stadium the commissionaire refused him entry. A bemused Joe told him that he was England’s captain for that afternoons game. He still wouldn’t budge until a passing Irish FA official told the man on the gate that he had seen photos of Mercer in the newspapers and it’s definitely him!
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 pm 
Post subject:

Bernard Manning used to tell the story of Sebastian Coe turning up at Anfield one day and the old Gate-man, a 'nasty bastard' telling him 'not in here, you have to go all the way round to the other side, but not in here'.

Coe looking aggrieved says 'Look here do you know who I am, I'm Sebastian Coe, 1500 mtrs Olympic Gold Medallist.

The old boy didn't seem impressed 'Should't take you f****** long then'

Apologies for the language.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:47 pm 
Post subject:

Nothing posted yesterday, I have pc issues but it's behaving better today.

Arsenal v Liverpool 1964, FA Cup 5th round and 2 spectators are being ejected from the ground before the kick-off. 4 gentlemen from the constabulary are doing the ejecting. I am only assuming this pair are Liverpudlians as I would think it very unusual for home fans to be slung out before a game. But how often do you see a man being evicted with his lady (wife/girlfriend) walking alongside waving at and cajoling the crowd? So I don't supposed anyone knows this pair, but have you been thrown out? Have you been a copper at a game? Have you taken your lady to a game and been out-sung or embarrassed by her? Come on, let's hear your thoughts.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:19 pm 
Post subject:

Never been thrown out, Pete, but I was refused entry twice last season at Goodison Park and the Ettihad on grounds of suspicion that I was carrying pyrotechnics.

I quite like them Cocker Spaniels they use.... but those Cavity searches left me walking funny for a couple of hours
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:44 pm 
Post subject:

No hooligans on this site, obviously.

Johnny Haynes, Fulham legend of 594 league games and 56 England caps, got crocked in a League Cup match at Sheffield United in 1961, and he's shown using the latest in massaging equipment, a real state-of-the-art job for 1961, I'm sure. So what does this conjure up? Have you been injured far from home? Have you used some sort of equipment for a massage? And who here saw Johnny play? I did, for Fulham 3 or 4 times in the 60's, when he was in his twilight years, but you could sense the quality as the crowd ooo'd and aaah'd when he got the ball.

Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:23 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
No hooligans on this site, obviously.

Johnny Haynes, Fulham legend of 594 league games and 56 England caps, got crocked in a League Cup match at Sheffield United in 1961, and he's shown using the latest in massaging equipment, a real state-of-the-art job for 1961, I'm sure. So what does this conjure up? Have you been injured far from home? Have you used some sort of equipment for a massage? And who here saw Johnny play? I did, for Fulham 3 or 4 times in the 60's, when he was in his twilight years, but you could sense the quality as the crowd ooo'd and aaah'd when he got the ball.

Broke my collar bone indoor skiing in Glasgow four years ago on the last run of my session (12:30 Saturday). Was flying back to Texas via London on the 6:55am shuttle next day.

Being Scottish, I didn’t want two hospital bills so I “ grinned” and bared it. Pretty uncomfortable flight and off to the hospital when I got back home.

Nothing on Johnny unfortunately.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:50 am 
Post subject:

The picture was taken before I was born but, even so, Johnny Haynes is one of those iconic names that every schoolboy knew as the first £100 a week player. His team mate, Jimmy Hill, was a major part in pushing for an end to the maximum £20 a week wage.

I wonder what they would make of modern day player wages. I also wonder why Johnny stayed with Fulham and didn’t move to a more successful club?
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:18 am 
Post subject: Every Picture Tells A Story

So what does this conjure up? Have you been injured far from home? Have you used some sort of equipment for a massage?

Not quite on point, but drops into the non standard injury equipment catagory.

Back in the early eighties, I snapped my ankle ligaments playing football. Still a career ending injury for professionals back then, so what chance for me, a Sunday League player?

After a few weeks of hobbling around on crutches and with no real help from the hospital regarding recouperation, I took matters into my own hands.
To build the muscles back up, I stretched a football sock as wide as I could and put it on the injured leg, adding a bag of sugar to each side.
I would sit there watching telly at night for hours lifting them up and down.

As time went on, I eventually had three bags strapped to either side with parcel tape.

The downside of this "equipment" was that every now and then, a bag would split and pour sugar all over the front room.

It took me over six months to play again, but I'm sure it helped me, and I should have patented my invention Laughing
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:10 am 
Post subject: Re: Every Picture Tells A Story

Five and In wrote:

So what does this conjure up? Have you been injured far from home? Have you used some sort of equipment for a massage?

Not quite on point, but drops into the non standard injury equipment catagory.

Back in the early eighties, I snapped my ankle ligaments playing football. Still a career ending injury for professionals back then, so what chance for me, a Sunday League player?

After a few weeks of hobbling around on crutches and with no real help from the hospital regarding recouperation, I took matters into my own hands.
To build the muscles back up, I stretched a football sock as wide as I could and put it on the injured leg, adding a bag of sugar to each side.
I would sit there watching telly at night for hours lifting them up and down.

As time went on, I eventually had three bags strapped to either side with parcel tape.

The downside of this "equipment" was that every now and then, a bag would split and pour sugar all over the front room.

It took me over six months to play again, but I'm sure it helped me, and I should have patented my invention Laughing

Sweet...

I love clever improvisation.

I ruptured my Achilles playing over 35 co-Ed over here, a move I was relunctantly talked into by a neighbour who had seen me out kicking a ball with my oldest. Needless to say, there was no over 40 co-Ed or any other kind of football for me.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:27 am 
Post subject:

For the previous picture - I went to Turkey v England in 2003 when England supporters were well and truly banned from attending. I managed to buy a ticket from a tout a couple of days before the game and got right up to the turnstile when a policeman sussed me and refused entry.

Luckily, local supporters argued my case and eventually the policeman let me in. One of the Turks explained to me that the policeman was actually trying to be kind and didn't want me to come to any harm inside the ground but was persuaded when my new friends promised to keep me safe.

He then asked me where I was sitting - when I showed my ticket he laughed and explained it was a steward's ticket & I didn't even have an allocated seat. Fortunately it was all so chaotic I managed to find an empty seat and no one else turned up to argue Cool

A really memorable trip and an eventful game, I think fewer than a dozen England fans managed to beat the ban.

Trieste to Trapani

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:47 pm 
Post subject:

Was thrown out at Craven Cottage in 1980, a case of mistaken identity (honest guv). As they were asking for my details at the exit near the cottage another constable turned up saying ' it wasn't him, here's the culprit Sarge'. I had been pleading my innocence and now let them know my opinion of the Met and the educational standard required for enrolment in no uncertain terms. This of course led to us both being ejected. This was about half way through the first half and as there was no all-day opening in those days we spent an hour or so mooching around outside the ground. We did manage to get back in for the last 10 minutes or so. I used to see the actual beer can thrower quite often at matches after that and a few times at Donny races. Every time he saw me the first thing he did was apologise for getting me chucked out at Fulham.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:10 pm 
Post subject:

Never been thrown out of a ground but I have had a police horse slam its hoof down on my foot (81/2 Derby v Luton) and I can assure you it is mighty sore. They're a fair weight, those beasts.

Wasn't my day, really, 10 minutes later a Luton yob walked by me and decided it would be a good idea to stub his cigarette out on my arm.

And the game ended 0-0!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:14 pm 
Post subject:

Interesting stuff, chaps. And a novel use of sugar, I'd never have expected that.

Watching Peloton adverts drew my mind back to this photo of Everton players doing their 1970's version of the Lockdown home cycling phenomenon. 1976 actually, and this was at the new Kirkby sauna & gym opened by Marine player Richie Wade (and another, whose name is lost). John Hurst and Joe Royle are pedalling and Jim Pearson is holding the oversized stopwatch. So are there any cyclists among us, anyone splashed out on a Peloton membership? Has anyone undertaken any excessive physical exercise through lockdown? Or know of or been in that Kirkby gym? Just off for a run..... (not)

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:23 pm 
Post subject:

I hate that Peloton advert, Pete!
She's so smug.

Did do a 3 mile walk yesterday along the old railway line (rather than listening to Derby lose yet another home game) and we were surprised to discover that about 300 other people had the same idea.

If some bright spark set up a wee coffee stall there they'd make a fortune.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:25 pm 
Post subject:

I'm going to be without a pc for a few days as this one is dying and I'm getting a new one built by an enthusiast. He says he understands what I need to run my website. I am confident he does.

So this photo will be my last entry here for a day or three and I'm leaving it with you and asking you to vote.

David Coleman, King of the Commentators.... or was he? "Peters, One NIL!" was his famous line when a goal went in, though there were enough "Colemanballs" for 2 little books to be published. Anyway, I mentioned a vote. Now, I get maybe 200 people viewing this photo thread every day, but I'm not expecting 200 votes - a few would be nice, though. This is the subject: Who was the best commentator? Was it:-

a) Kenneth Wolstenholme
b) David Coleman
c) Brian Moore
d) Barry Davies
e) John Motson

Here's David at one of his beloved athletics events - I'm sure that's where his heart really lay. So come on, please don't be shy. Who was the best?

Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:47 pm 
Post subject:

Brian Moore the best of that list for me. John Motson was good for the nerds who like to be constantly be fed useless trivia all game.
These days there are far too many games on live each week in my opinion, once a week on a Sunday afternoon and it felt like half the country watched!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: