Football Programmes Centre

Every Picture Tells A Story
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Every Picture Tells A Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:11 pm 
Post subject: Every Picture Tells A Story

Look at the howls of derision and looks of hate on the faces of the home fans . Denis Law had just been sent- off at Villa Park, early 1960s. He was one of those players that non- Man Unt fans loved to hate. Yet , all would have had him in their own team in a heartbeat , because he was great.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:00 pm 
Post subject:

Not much to be said about Denis Law then.

An FA Cup shock at Birmingham in 1952, as Leyton Orient steal a win there. O's Jackie Deverall gives a toothy grin as someone encroaches onto the field - this man is a mystery - could he be a Club official, a travelling reserve, or just a fan? It was once thought to be Alec Stock, but it isn't. Maybe we'll never know. But what comes to your mind when you see a photo like this? Cup shocks, pitch invasions, a lack of teeth, and yet another mudbath of a pitch? I love this one.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:50 pm 
Post subject:

Footballers in the 50s bear no resemblance to the modern day players.

The lack of teeth brings to mind Nobby Stiles dancing and then big Joe Jordan.
Rocky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:17 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
Footballers in the 50s bear no resemblance to the modern day players.

Modern day players place their teeth under the pillow hoping for more money.

Twins

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:26 pm 
Post subject:

Can’t imagine any top player going onto the pitch these days without his front teeth. Nowadays they make so much money from advertising deodorant, hair gel, shaving products as well as their boots etc. In the early to mid 70s the only advert I can remember that was even close was Henry Cooper splashing Brut all over; he was joined eventually by Kevin Keegan.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:38 pm 

I did read his autobiography , but can’t remember how Nobby Stiles lost his front teeth . The use of the elbow in football , however, did used to be quite common . Liverpool’s Mark Lawrenson recalled how he lost his front teeth playing as a young defender for Preston NE . “ l was just eighteen when l first suffered the elbow. It was for Preston against Grimsby and l lost three front teeth “. Perhaps the player in the photo suffered the same fate?
DarkBlue61

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:54 pm 
Post subject:

As well as a lack of teeth, I don't remember too many of the older generation plastered in tattoos, which seems commonplace in todays game. And when I played (at a decent level) if you were fouled, you got up immediately so the opposing player didn't know he had hurt you, even if your leg was hanging off.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:35 pm 
Post subject:

DarkBlue61 wrote:
As well as a lack of teeth, I don't remember too many of the older generation plastered in tattoos, which seems commonplace in todays game. And when I played (at a decent level) if you were fouled, you got up immediately so the opposing player didn't know he had hurt you, even if your leg was hanging off.

I see that this is your first post - welcome to the forum
DarkBlue61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:29 am 
Post subject:

Thanks Carlisle for the welcome.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:19 pm 
Post subject:

Some fabulous tooth action there, and yes, welcome to newcomer DarkBlue61.

FA Cup 4th round replay at Oakwell, Barnsley 1 v Huddersfield 0, 1961. Ray Wilson is the No 3 in stripes. Something has obviously happened, maybe a stanchion gave way, a fan passed out, or was hit by the ball perhaps. Does anyone know? And those faces in the crowd, totally priceless, probably Barnsley people though I suppose could be over from up the A628. So what does this one conjure up? A local derby cup replay on a cold winter's night - does it get any better? How good was Ramon Wilson? Has anyone here passed out at a match? Or has anyone been in the St John's Ambulance?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

I remember West Ham v Brighton, August 1981. I was at the front of the North Bank, it was blistering hot and I knew I was going to pass out if I didn't leave. It was the only time I had to leave early from feeling unwell.

One other time was Macedonia v England in 2003. I had a dodgy tummy and just before kick off realised I really needed the toilet. Without being too graphic all I can say is that everything happened very quickly but luckily I made the loo just in time. No toilet roll or tissue of course so had to use my underpants and socks to try and clean up Shocked

Fortunately I was OK after that otherwise it would have been a long trip to miss the game
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:59 pm 
Post subject:

Lovely images, Sid!

Anyone of my sort of age will remember this day as if it was yesterday, and like today, we had Leeds Utd being beaten by an underdog. What I didn't know at the time was why Bob Stokoe, manager of Sunderland, went ballistic at the final whistle, other than for the obvious reason that he'd just won the FA Cup. But it became clear there were other reasons and one was to do with Bob while player-manager at Bury being made some sort of offer by Don Revie in his early days at Leeds. Anyway, what do you remember of that day, May 1973? What about Stokoe's loathing of Revie? And what about an FA Cup humiliation you may have suffered? Or an amazing, surprise triumph? Come on, share your stories, please.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:41 pm 

When you look back at that Sunderland team 1972-73 , it doesn’t make sense that they finished well off the promotion pace in The Second Division. I think they finished 8th . Some top players in that Sunderland line-up. Bob Stokoe was a popular and passionate manager. Bill Shankly ,in his autobiography , said he once nearly came to blows with him after a game. I think Shankly had just taken over at Liverpool and Stokoe was with Bury . After a disagreement during the game, Shankly( a boxing champ in The Army) told Stokoe he would meet him outside the ground to settle the dispute . They were both all for it , before sense prevailed and they laughed it off. From memory, Shankly liked Bob a lot because he was as passionate about football as he was.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:08 am 
Post subject:

Bob Stokoe was a great manager at Carlisle and, under him, the team always seemed to do well with a tiny squad.

However, the photo immediately made me think of the double save made by Jimmy Montgomery in the 1973 cup final.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:22 pm 
Post subject:

Whilst researching a press photo of Alan Hodgkinson I required from Pete's Picture Palace, I came across this one of the Hollywood A Lister Jayne Mansfield at White Hart Lane.

I asked the question on one of the Blades forums if a bonafide A Lister had ever watched a game at Bramall lane, but the closest we came up with was 'No, but we did have a Jayne from Mansfield, watch us once'
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:26 pm 
Post subject:

Nice one. Or maybe, nice pair.

How about a referee now? And not just any old referee. Roger Kirkpatrick, of Leicester, taking charge of Man Utd v Palace, October 1970. So what do you remember of this larger-than-life character? How does he compare to other famous referees of that time and since, Jack Taylor, Clive Thomas, Graham Poll etc? And what chance a chap like him becoming a referee today? I await your thoughts with interest.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:01 pm 
Post subject:

Jack Taylor is the referee that comes to mind from my early years watching football. I suspect that the documentary about him called “Don’t shoot the ref” is what many will remember.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:05 pm 
Post subject:

I remember reading Norman Burtenshaw's autobiography when I was very young, he reffed the 1971 FA Cup Final (Whose Side Are You On, Ref?)

Surprised to see he is still alive, 94 years old now

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:57 pm 
Post subject:

Kirkpatrick was quality. Proper character.

Respected by players and managers.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:46 pm 
Post subject:

David Elleray was my favourite, he was a chool teacher at a private school, and when reffing, he made players talk to him like a school master too! There was some documentary where he was miked up and it involved an Arsenal game, Tony Adams and all.

By the end of the game, the Arsenal players were all calling him Sir and silly stuff like that, he had complete control of their behaviour!!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: