Football Programmes Centre

Every Picture Tells A Story
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Every Picture Tells A Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:36 pm 
Post subject: Re: Every Picture Tells A Story

Flaming Pie wrote:
Pete, neither Cilla Black or Tarbuck have much to do with the history of The Cavern. Apparently Cilla worked in the cloakroom, but as far as l know she never made a paid appearance. There’s some photos of her doing the twist at the club with Gerry Marsden that are frequently shown . She might have got up and sang a song with one of the groups , but there’s no evidence of this . I think The Undertakers let her sing a solo with them now and again at The Iron Door club. Cilla and Jimmy rode on the coat tails of The Beatles when the Fab Four took the world by storm. After the Beatle had gone , there was still some greats at the place, Stones, The Who, John Lee Hooker etc but the golden days had gone. A bit like The Marquee Club in London . I listened to some of Cilla’s early stuff recently and she could really sing. Mind you, when you have got brilliant writers like Lennon/ McCartney and Burt Bacharach writing material for you , it’s hard to fail. My oldest brother was at the opening night of the club. He loved Trad Jazz and ran his own club. Middle brother went to the club for The Beatles ( lucky sod!) and others , l got the late 1960s early 70s stuff. The place was nothing special by the time l was old enough to go there.Liverpool’s Tommy Smith owned the new Cavern, up the road from the old one , l think late 1970s early 80s. It was not a success and he sold his stake in it.

Great as they were, legend has it that even The Beatles had to take second place to The Big Three as the best live act at The Cavern.
They were also about the only band who signed up with Brian Epstein then walked away from the contract (after he insisted they went down the "pop music" route).
I've got this EP and it's terrific!

(I'd better not start on Merseybeat as I'll be here all day!)

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:06 pm 
Post subject:

Great stuff everyone, just the diversions I had in mind, sort of. I have no idea where a photo will take us so it's all stick a finger in the air and see what's blowing.

Now for some FA Cup match action, from 1956. I don't suppose any readers were there (!), but a couple of names are noteworthy, the pitch is a mudbath, and it's the 4th round with 35,500 present. What's not to like?

It doesn't give names on the back, but it looks like big Mal Allison about to heave the ball clear as his keeper Ernie Gregory gropes on his knees and John Bond stands waiting. Cardiff players include John McSeveney running towards it and Gerry Hitchens on the right straining to get there first. This sums up the FA Cup in many ways, and it's why I love it so much. So what can you add about the cup, about these 2 sides, about mudbaths, about Big Mal (not Fiona again please!Very Happy ), or about Hitchens, an international star of the not so distant future at the time? I await with interest.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:05 pm 
Post subject: Every Picture Tells A Story

derby, l think you love The Beatles as much as l do . I never saw them, but from what l have heard, The Big Three had a great raw sound live. It’s often said that they were like an early version of Cream, but the problem was that apart from that EP you have got, their sound was never really captured on record. They didn’t have a couple of songwriting geniuses like Lennon/ McCartney in their ranks either .There was another local group, The Roadrunners , that George Harrison said were a better R and B outfit than The Stones., but l doubt it. With regard to the new photo Pete, I read a book about Gerry Hitchens last year. It gave a really interesting account of what it was like playing in ltaly during the 1960s. Following the lead of the likes of John Charles,, Hitchens was one of the first British stars to ply his trade in the country. Unlike Denis Law , Joe Baker and Jimmy Greaves , who couldn’t take to it, Hitchens was determined to stick it out and was a success. With Alf Ramsey only prepared to pick home based players, Hitchen’s international career came to an early end. By all accounts , a lovely bloke who settled in North Wales when his career ended. He collapsed on the pitch and did not regain consciousness , aged just 48 . This was while playing in a charity match near his home in Wales.

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:41 pm 
Post subject:

I am not really familiar with Gerry Hitchens so have just read up on Wikipedia. I notice he played for Inter Milan which gives me an opportunity to shoe horn in a Carlisle United reference. Robert Spottiswood played for Carlisle from about 1904 to 1908 when he joined Croydon Common and then Crystal Palace.

After Pete put a photo of Spottiswood on this forum about a year ago I did a tiny bit of research and found that this ex Carlisle player was manager of Inter Milan from 1922 to 1924. I have no idea what qualified him for the job.

The move to Italy must have been a culture shock for Hitchens in the 60s. It’s hard to imagine what the shock would have been for Spottiswood 40 years earlier.
Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:57 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:11 pm 
Post subject:

The following week's West Ham programme noted rather sniffily that;

"Although the majority of turnstiles were closed before the kick-off there were still some in Priory Road that remained open until nearly half-time ... the large number of people left outside the ground could probably all have been accommodated had they made enquiries as to the position - even including the 20 stone Welshman who could not get through the turnstile at the front entrance"
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:18 pm 
Post subject:

Again, some great comments, thank you all.

Talking of mudbaths.... one of the most famous images of all time, the 1956 Outstanding Sports Picture of the Year, won by PA/Reuter photographer John Horton, a 5-time nominee for the award. Tom Finney aquaplaning down the wing at Stamford Bridge, with Blues' full back Wally Bellett disappearing into the spray. August 1956 this was. So what does this conjure up? Memories of Tom Finney maybe? As footballer or plumber? Bellett had a few clubs after Chelsea. And how about playing in conditions like this - guess most of us have been there in our youths!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:46 pm 

“ Finney or Matthews , People often ask me who was the greatest ? All l can say is Stan Matthews was great, but Tom Finney was a genius !” Joe Mercer.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

The County Ground, Swindon, 1970.

Even the Baseball Ground was never as bad as this!

Good game, though, regardless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUhdCymGa6E
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:01 am 
Post subject:

What a great photo. It’s not one I have seen before.

Carlisle has a bit of rainfall and on a few memorable occasions the pitch has been under so much water that the crossbars aren’t visible. On the other hand the groundsman is used to dealing with a bit of water on the pitch.

The first images here show the pitch on the day before a match in November 2015 (water up to a foot deep)

Here is the pitch the following day and it’s game on

Jim LFC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:21 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Again, some great comments, thank you all.

Talking of mudbaths.... one of the most famous images of all time, the 1956 Outstanding Sports Picture of the Year, won by PA/Reuter photographer John Horton, a 5-time nominee for the award. Tom Finney aquaplaning down the wing at Stamford Bridge, with Blues' full back Wally Bellett disappearing into the spray. August 1956 this was. So what does this conjure up? Memories of Tom Finney maybe? As footballer or plumber? Bellett had a few clubs after Chelsea. And how about playing in conditions like this - guess most of us have been there in our youths!

I first saw this image in the FA Centenary book "100 Years of Soccer in Pictures" ( I managed to acquire this from my local library for a bargain price)

Many years later, on a visit to the National Football Museum, I was delighted to see an excellent statue based on the image. Thumbs Up

colchestersid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:41 am 
Post subject:

That is a great statue, maybe one of only a couple which are worthwhile (Bobby Moore at Wembley being the other)

Worst has to be Ted Bates at Southampton (with Bobby Robson at Ipswich close behind)

Last edited by colchestersid on Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
se20blue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:14 pm 
Post subject:

Here is a better image of Bobby Robson

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:45 pm 
Post subject:

Again, some great tangents and it's intriguing to find out which way they'll all go. Anyway, following yesterday's website hiatus, today's offering follows on well from Monday's.

Sports Picture of the Year 1961 - Gordon West in superb action for Blackpool. He played just 31 games for the Tangerines before heading off to Goodison Park where he was 1st team regular for a good decade, appearing in 335 league games, winning some nice silverware but only 3 England caps. Famously sick through nerves before every game - so who has memories of Gordon, or the plethora of keepers who kept his international caps down to 3, or suffering from nerves in a similar way? Or anything else?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:54 pm 

I think when Harry Catterick signed Gordon West from Blackpool and then the outstanding Tony Kay from Sheffield Wednesday , the 1962 -63 League Championship was on the way to Goodison. Alex Scott from Rangers was good business as well. If you look at photos of Gordon from the 1966 FA Cup Final , he is the only Everton player wearing black shorts. Perhaps they were his ‘ lucky shorts’ ? Was this the only FA Cup Final in history when the goalie wore different coloured shorts than his teammates? I think there is some footage of him on YouTube talking about his career. By all accounts Gordon was a funny guy.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:10 pm 
Post subject:

I would guess the other Gordon (Banks) deprived him of many caps. There wouldn’t be lots of meaningless friendlies and squad rotation to get the number of caps up.

Got to say that it’s another fabulous photo.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:39 pm 

I’d heard that West and Brian Labone had a mischievous sense of humour. Looking at the obituaries when West died there is the following story. It was a benefit game at Goodison Park , 1974. West had been retired from football for a number of years . The second- half was about to begin when a couple of St Johns Ambulance men start carrying someone across the pitch on a stretcher. The casualty is covered in a blanket , but an arm is poking out from the blanket waving in the air. The stretcher stops at the goalmouth and off jumps Gordon West to go in goal for the second-half. They don’t make footballers like that anymore!
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:52 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for that anecdote about Gordon West.

Football does seem to have lost those characters. Is it that the game is more professional or that players are almost forced to have a certain image in the media?

May be my age, but I miss the big characters like Brian Clough, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Malcolm Allison, Frank Worthington (the list could go on) and of course, George Best. I suppose we have had Gazza, Eric Cantona and maybe even Jose Mourinho but, in my eyes, they don’t get close to the characters from the 60s and 70s
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:47 pm 
Post subject:

A nice story there, I often wonder what these stars are like in real life. Here's another....

Denis Law, without doubt one of the finest Scots to play the game and a real legend at Old Trafford. Oddly, as a neutral, it's the back-heeled effort for City, which saw United relegated, that might be his most famous goal. But whether it was his effervescent perfomances, his firebrand nature, his trademark goal celebration, his prodigious goal getting (still the seasonal record holder for United - 46 in 63/4 - and jointly with 30 for Scotland), his partnership with Messrs Best & Charlton, or merely his cheeky-chappie persona - as here, in Germany, with Scotland at his only World Cup in 1974. I'll kick off with seeing him hit a hat-trick at Selhurst Park in 1971. What do you remember?

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:05 pm 
Post subject:

I remember being at Pittodrie in August '73 (?) when Man City came up for a friendly. Denis being an Aberdeen lad (from the Printfield area of the city - not really the most salubrious, then or now!) it was billed as a "Return Home" for him.
There was a fair sized crowd in attendance and what I remember is the crowd joining in to that Peters & Lee song "Welcome Home" which was being played over the PA system as the teams warmed up.

Can't remember a thing about the game, though.

I went to all the Dons' friendlies/European games in the 70s/80s and got a programme at each one - rather stupidly (in hindsight) flogged the lot to a dealer.
So I can't tell you whether there was anything special printed for that particular match.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: