Football Programmes Centre

Every Picture Tells A Story
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Every Picture Tells A Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:00 pm 
Post subject:

Keegan really lost it in that Charity shield game!! Took his shirt off in a massive strop on the way to the tunnel!!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:13 pm 
Post subject: Every Picture Tells A Story

It was Shankly’s last game in charge. He lead the teams out before the game with new Leed’s boss Brian Clough. Keegan and Bremner both felt they had let Shankly down on his last day. They both ,rather sheepishly , approached the Scot to apologise for their behaviour . From what l have heard, Bill Shankly burst out laughing when he saw them and said call yourself bloody boxers, or words to that effect!
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:16 pm 
Post subject:

Not particularly violent, but shocking at the time, I was at Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal in 1998 when Paolo di Canio pushed referee Paul Alcock who fell to the floor in dramatic fashion.
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:49 pm 

The most violent match I can recall being at was the Cup Winners Cup Semi Final between Tottenham and Barcelona in 1982.
Everyone always raves about Barca's silky skills, but that night they booted anything that moved up into the air and were an absolute disgrace as was the ref that let them get away with it.

Worst challenge is easy and again I was screaming my head off on the Shelf Side as Spurs faced Wimbledon.
With the ball stuck on the floor underneath Gary Stevens, who was unable to move as he had John Fashanu sitting on top of him, Vinnie Jones flew in like an express train with the most cowardly challenge I have ever seen.
Stevens was seriously injured and although he did fight his way back to the team after several months out, he was never the same player again and the injury did eventually cause his early retirement.

Strangely enough, on the night that Cantona kung fu kicked the fan that has been mentioned earlier, I was at Villa Park and saw Jurgen Klinsmann getting his head knocked off by Villa keeper Mark Bosnich with another awful challenge that was overshadowed by events at Selhurst Park.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:42 am 
Post subject: Re: Every Picture Tells A Story

Flaming Pie wrote:
derby , some Beatles links with Tesco’s, Heswall. Used to see McCartney’s brother Mike in there quite often by the fresh bread counter. In the 1960s, Paul purchased a house for his dad near to Heswall in Gayton. When Aunt Mimi moved to Dorset , Lennon Would stay there with Paul for their Liverpool visits . Paul , on his Wirral visits , is still spotted in Heswall shopping centre. If you want your Sgt Pepper signed, this is the place Very Happy

I moved to Heswall Lower Village in 1978 and was 30 ft from the banks of the River for 6 years. Really enjoyed my time there and purchased one of my greattest ever buys being a Liverpool & Everton collection of programmes from 1913 to 1922 with a few Tranmere and Chester as well. There were a few United aways but alas they all went over the years. I still pop back there and nothing much has changed, very nice part of the world-i used to run Antique Fairs at Parkgate Hotel, Heswall Parish Church on Telegraph Road and one in the massive Leisure Centre in Neston and worked out in the gym in Birkenhead with a then 28" waist!-some good times there.. I once met a lady who said she had a some stuff to clear out just off Telegraph Road near the Devon Doorway-it turns out she said her husband was in the shipping business, the house had 30 rooms and he was the the Chairman of CUNARD!-Great Memories

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:01 pm 

Leslie, l reckon The Heswall Tourist Board should take me on to promote the place Very Happy Sounds like you had a fantastic find with those programmes. Many years ago my brother used to run a folk club in The Dee View pub, big beard , he looked like one of The Dubliners! I don’t even know if it’s still open . Another famous footballer from Heswall is Paul Bracewell. He was quite outstanding for Everton when they had that great team in 1980s. He was another one of those players who picked up a bad injury and wasn’t the same when he returned. You will know Neston . I know someone who was browsing in one of one the charity shops in the town and he found a first edition copy of ‘ ln His Own Write’ . It was signed by John Lennon . Could well have come from Paul’s dads house.. The swine wasn’t even a Beatles fan ! It sold for close on £1000.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:29 pm 
Post subject:

Keep 'em coming lads.

I do love bad weather photos and the one below ticks that box, though for some reason it may well be staged - look at the dubiously clean ball. This one is an unidentified player from Copenhagen in 1956. So which games have you seen where the weather is as bad as this? My own memory has Palace v Chelsea in the League Cup, January 1993, with the ball clinging to the surface and players sliding everywhere. Probably worth a Google. So what can you dredge up? Rain, snow, ice, wind, anything you can recall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:46 pm 
Post subject:

A Favourite Photograph of mine from the 1957-8 Season.

This match was eventually on for United v Ipswich Town in the 4th Round of the F.A. Cup, it turned out to be the last time the Busby Babes would play at Old Trafford ever again on the 25th January 1958-12 days before the crash.
55,550 PACKED THOSE TERRACES TO SEE United win 2-0.

Ipswich Town Manager was Mr.A.Scott Duncan who left Manchester United as their manager in 1937 to go to Ipswich

Old Trafford, Manchester United F.C. 1958 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

[I am currently serialising a bound volume of 1935-6 programmes on Flickr that was the former property of Scott Duncan before he left for Ipswich.]

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:26 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
or if you've seen an another outrageously violent incident at football

More on the 'outrageous' side than 'violent' but i do recall being at Ashton Gate, September 1985, back when the segregation between home and away fans consisted of wire fencing.

It was a Tuesday evening, very foggy, so not too many Derby fans there but I think we were all taken aback by the verbal aggression shown by the two coppers towards one another as they patrolled the no man's land between home and away fans. They were giving one another pelters and, from what I could hear, ithe subject matter was a woman (perhaps a 'mutual friend?)

Anyway, as they squared up to one another, the taller of the two gave the other an almighty shove, his helmet flew off and he went flying. Cue the expected hilarity from those fans who were watching this rather than the game (which ended a dull 0-0 draw).

That seemed to be that but I do wonder if the incident made the local press the next day and if any disciplinary action was taken agaist the two bobbies.

Very strange - never seen anything like that before.
redhel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:39 pm 
Post subject:

Quick question for manchesterunitedman1 and Flaming Pie. You both know Heswall well. Either of you remember Heswall Boys Camp?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:35 pm 

Redhel, no knowledge at all about The Boys Camp. I’ve never actually lived in Heswall, it was just a handy place for the shops and some good pubs. There’s some excellent info on the net about The Heswall Boys Camp, l see it’s still going strong . Was just reading that Ringo Starr was a patient for two years when he was a kid at The Royal Liverpool Hospital, Heswall, which has now been turned into that Tesco’s that is so popular with the modern day footballers.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:47 pm 
Post subject: Re: Every Picture Tells A Story

Flaming Pie wrote:
Was just reading that Ringo Starr was a patient for two years when he was a kid at The Royal Liverpool Hospital, Heswall, which has now been turned into that Tesco’s that is so popular with the modern day footballers.

I'm sure it became a nursing home before Tesco's? Smile
redhel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:57 pm 
Post subject:

Flaming Pie. I should have expanded a bit on that, only not often you see Heswall get a mention;) Heswall Camp was a holiday camp for boys down by the Dee Estuary and I lived there as a lad between 73 - 81. My dad was the warden and I remember Shankly came down one day to watch a trials game there, probably 74 or 75. Lovely memories. Its not a holiday camp thesedays, I think its a rehab centre.
cfcmartin1965

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:00 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Pete,

I remember the League Cup tie against Palace back in 1993 as well. Probably the worst conditions I have watched a game of football in.
Being stood in the away end with no cover from the weather being turned over 3-1 then having to drive back to Swindon where I was living at the time.

Cheers
Martin
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:23 pm 

You might be right Jim, was just looking at a photo of it when it was a hospital. It was a massive building , looks like something out of ‘Hounds Of The Baskervilles’. I remember reading somewhere that young Ringo had nothing to do all day at the hospital and someone gave him a kids set of drums . That’s when his interest in them grew. Redhel, that’s a lovely spot where you lived. Not much of a beach, but fabulous views over to Wales. Bill Shankly watching over the trials is interesting. When l was a young lad, a letter arrived from the great man to go for trials for Liverpool. They took place at Melwood and Joe Fagan took them. I didn’t get asked back Confused
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:41 pm 
Post subject:

redhel wrote:
Quick question for manchesterunitedman1 and Flaming Pie. You both know Heswall well. Either of you remember Heswall Boys Camp?

Not being a native of that area, i was not aware of it at all, Flaming Pie seems to have a greater knowledge for sure.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:39 pm 
Post subject:

Heswall seems an unlikely topic but as I've said many times, who knows where this thread will take us. And cfcmartin - no cover at the home end at Selhurst either so I got very wet too, if it's any consolation! Shake

More mud but this time a real life goalkeeper in penalty action - Wolves' finest, Bert Williams, saving a Don Howe (no, not that one) spotkick at Burnden Park, Bolton in 1951. I like these shots that show players lined up on the 18-yard line - here it's Billy Wright & Jesse Pye awaiting developments. And the referee too. So the topics here can go whichever way they like but perhaps leading towards the best penalty saves you've seen, any keeper with a great record - or the opposite - a vital penalty at a crucial time, the coolness of the taker - or not! Looking forward to more great chat.

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:54 am 

As the photo shows, fans who stood behind the goal were usually in close proximity to the goalie. All types of obscenities were shouted at the keeper in an attempt to put them off. This was usually by the adults, not the kids. I recall a game at Prenton Park early 1960s , can’t remember the opposition, might have been Wrexham ? Tranmere were awarded a penalty. All through the game the away goalie had been the subject of abuse from some bigmouth behind the goal. While the Tranmere player was preparing to take the kick, the bigmouth kept shouting at the goalie ‘l know someone who’s sleeping with your wife ‘ , he didn’t say sleeping , but we all know what he said. The goalie turned around and shouted to the bigmouth ‘ lm not f—ing married pal, your a f—ing liar!’ The bigmouth went quiet for the rest of the match. Strange , the things you remember from your past Very Happy
farmersboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

I remember Notts County missing the same penalty 3 times with 3 different takers against Pompey in 1973. John Milkins saved 2 and one hit the bar. It is sometimes reported as 3 saves. Didn't help us though, County won 2-1.
stfc831968

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:13 pm 
Post subject:

Swindon won 2-1 at West Brom in December 1989; West Brom got 3 penalties in that match. The first two within a minute of each other and they missed both of them, they did score the 3rd a few minutes later though. We still won (and deserved to as well)

In January 2008, we played away at Barnet in an FA Cup 3rd Round replay and lost 2-0 on penalties, Barnet missed two of theirs but Swindon missed all 4!

In April 1976, Trevor Anderson scored a hat-trick of penalties in a 5-1 home win against Walsall, the first four goals of the match were all penalties as Alan Buckley had put Walsall 1 up with one.

In a year we had three goalkeepers who saved a penalty on their debut for us.

Cameroon Belford at home to Orient on the final day of the 2014-15 season (after his brother Tyrell had been sent off for the foul).

Laurence Vigeroux on the first game of the 2015-16 at home to Bradford, then Will Henry away at Rochdale at the end of that season.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: