Football Programmes Centre

Every Picture Tells A Story
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Every Picture Tells A Story
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:41 pm 
Post subject: Every Picture Tells A Story

Happy New Year to you all!

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was thinking of setting up a new topic on here with the title "Every Picture Tells a Story", whereby I would regularly, or even daily, starting today, upload a press photo here for you guys to discuss, to find a talking-point, to highlight something pertinent to that photo, be it a player, a team, a match, your experiences getting to it or at the game, your memories of the player, good bad or indifferent, or a ground, or a referee, or a face in the crowd - it could be anything. I will provide a brief description and it's up to you to do the rest. And the regularity of my postings will depend on the quality and quantity of such responses.

I'm starting with the one below, my favourite photo and the only one I have on the wall in my house. And it doesn't even show a footballer!

Date was 20th January 1940, at Selhurst Park, and the occasion was an England XI v an Army XI to raise money for the FA Red Cross Fund. The Army XI included Stan Cullis, Joe Mercer and Denis Compton, while the England side had Sam Bartram, Wilf Copping and some bloke called Matthews on the wing, among many famous faces. It must have been a huge attraction at the time with the "Phoney War" in place. What I like about this incredible photo are the faces of those Army boys, every time I look at it I see something different and I've given nicknames to some of them - the one with the bell is "The Spiv", the one far right is "The Village Idiot" and one furthest left is "The Bounder". (My apologies to them all!) Most of the ones shown have a least one tooth missing.

And now...it's over to you. Let's be hearing you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:27 pm 
Post subject:

The crowd looks quite thin - I know at West Ham that season attendances were limited to just 8,000 - I imagine similar rules were in place at most grounds. Indeed, according to my Breedon Complete Record, Palace v West Ham on January 17th 1940 (three days before this picture) had a crowd of just 896. Not sure if Selhurst Park has ever seen a lower crowd than that?

Looking at Wikipedia there is a note that January 20th 1940 was the coldest day in London since 1881 - just 12F or minus 11C in new money.

I noticed the teeth as well, this was 8 years before the NHS (and 15 years before Fluoride tooth paste). More than 80% of the population had significant dental decay before they were even teenagers in the 1940s
Trieste to Trapani

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:10 pm 
Post subject:

Regarding lowest crowds at Selhurst I have to admit to being part of two lower than the 896, and within a week of each other. As a Rotherham fan I didn't feel obliged to take part in the boycott that Wimbledon fans had organised before their move to Milton Keynes. On 29/10/2002 849 watched Wimbledon win 2-1 in a Division 1 match. On Bonfire night a week later there were only 664 there to see Andy Monkhouse's spectacular equaliser which helped Rotherham to a 3-1 win in the third round of the Worthington Cup. This was the only season so far in which I have seen all of our league and cup games.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

The men are in such high spirits .... blissfully unaware of what lay ahead. For me it’s hard to think of the photo in the context of a football match. I wonder how many of them lived through the war and what stories they could tell.

Certainly a very thought provoking image and a great start to this thread.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:51 am 
Post subject:

Great picture, details of the match below, the chaps would of had something to cheer and a chance to ring that bell.

20 January 1940 - England 4 The Army 3 [3-3]
Selhurst Park, South Norwood, London (10,057)

Martin (2), Broome and Matthews for England, Fagan and Welsh (2) for the Army. Martin scored twice in the first ten minutes, but the Army recovered to lead, before England came back to win.
Supermono13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:28 pm 
Post subject:

Not quite in the 'Every Picture Tells A Story' category but of wartime interest :

Les Bennett, integral part of Tottenham's 1951 Championship winning side, spent the war years serving with the Devon Regiment in Burma and India before signing for Spurs after the end of WW2. On the 14th December 1945 there was a dinner at Davico's Restaurant in New Delhi which also appears to have doubled up as Bennett's farewell from duties on the sub-continent and posting to Egypt.

I have Bennett's personal menu from the event - the middle is extensively signed by other personnel stationed in Delhi at the time and has the makings of a very useful first XI.

Freddie Mills as head of security too !!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:07 pm 

Great photo Pete, a few months later we had what the press described as The Miracle Of Dunkirk. I wonder did any of these lads end up there? The film ‘ Dunkirk’ was on TV over Christmas. Great actors, great cinematography and a lousy, second rate script. Looking at the film you would never know that some of last people to escape from the beach were nurses (female) tending to the wounded until the last boat to safety. Not one scene of a woman on the beach. Mind you, the scriptwriters probably would have depicted them as ‘Benny Hill’ type nurses! Supermono, that menu is a great piece of history. Is that the signature of the boxer Freddie Mills at the top?

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Supermono13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:27 pm 
Post subject: Re: Every Picture Tells A Story

Flaming Pie wrote:
Supermono, that menu is a great piece of history. Is that the signature of the boxer Freddie Mills at the top?

Yes indeed. Freddie Mills was posted to the sub-continent in early 1945 to rally troops by giving exhibition bouts etc.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:34 pm 

Supermono, many thanks. Looking at his fights on YouTube , he must be one of the bravest boxers of all-time.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:21 pm 
Post subject:

Supermono13 wrote:
Not quite in the 'Every Picture Tells A Story' category but of wartime interest :

Les Bennett, integral part of Tottenham's 1951 Championship winning side, spent the war years serving with the Devon Regiment in Burma and India before signing for Spurs after the end of WW2. On the 14th December 1945 there was a dinner at Davico's Restaurant in New Delhi which also appears to have doubled up as Bennett's farewell from duties on the sub-continent and posting to Egypt.

I have Bennett's personal menu from the event - the middle is extensively signed by other personnel stationed in Delhi at the time and has the makings of a very useful first XI.

Freddie Mills as head of security too !!

Exceptional Quality Item Mono-really excellent! Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:51 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks all, some interesting tangents there. See what you make of this one.

September 1971 and Liverpool training at Melwood, accompanied by Jimmy Tarbuck and Cilla Black, who was preparing a clip for her new TV series. The narrative says that Bill Shankly, while he admires Cilla's star quality, he won't be shuffling his forward line to fit her in. Players left to right: John Toshack, Larry Lloyd, Ian Callaghan, Brian Hall, Peter Thompson and Steve Heighway.

So what comes to mind when you see this? Did anybody reading this ever see this couple live in Liverpool, at the Cavern or anywhere else? Did anyone here go to the Cavern in the 60's? And what memories of those 6 players here?

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:14 pm 
Post subject:

Liverpool in the 1960's-No comment! Get My Coat

Laughing

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:05 pm 

Pete, neither Cilla Black or Tarbuck have much to do with the history of The Cavern. Apparently Cilla worked in the cloakroom, but as far as l know she never made a paid appearance. There’s some photos of her doing the twist at the club with Gerry Marsden that are frequently shown . She might have got up and sang a song with one of the groups , but there’s no evidence of this . I think The Undertakers let her sing a solo with them now and again at The Iron Door club. Cilla and Jimmy rode on the coat tails of The Beatles when the Fab Four took the world by storm. After the Beatle had gone , there was still some greats at the place, Stones, The Who, John Lee Hooker etc but the golden days had gone. A bit like The Marquee Club in London . I listened to some of Cilla’s early stuff recently and she could really sing. Mind you, when you have got brilliant writers like Lennon/ McCartney and Burt Bacharach writing material for you , it’s hard to fail. My oldest brother was at the opening night of the club. He loved Trad Jazz and ran his own club. Middle brother went to the club for The Beatles ( lucky sod!) and others , l got the late 1960s early 70s stuff. The place was nothing special by the time l was old enough to go there.Liverpool’s Tommy Smith owned the new Cavern, up the road from the old one , l think late 1970s early 80s. It was not a success and he sold his stake in it.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:04 am 
Post subject:

Peter Thompson was born in Carlisle and there is still some debate as to who is the best player to have been born in Carlisle. Peter’s main competitor is Kevin Beattie. Bobby Robson used to say that Beattie was the best English player he had ever seen. Peter Thompson was a schoolboy star who could have signed for any one of 17 clubs; he chose Preston.

Bill Shankly signed Peter for Liverpool, where he was an important part of the 1960s squad. He was also part of the original 1970 World Cup squad.

Kevin Beattie came from a very poor background. Before he signed for Ipswich, he was invited to Liverpool. To Bill Shankly’s later regret, when Beattie arrived at Lime Street station there was nobody there to meet him so he turned round and got the train home. Bobby Robson didn’t make the same mistake and someone was at Ipswich station.

There have been other players born in Carlisle, but none have hit the heights of Peter Thompson and Kevin Beattie.

I started a little collection of memorabilia relating to Peter Thompson last year. I have some nice original press photos, trade cards, magazines and programmes from some of his important games.

I think the majority view in Carlisle is that Kevin Beattie is the best player born in Carlisle to date. Neither man ever played for their home town club.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:15 am 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Liverpool in the 1960's-No comment! Get My Coat

Laughing

Wave

The actual date of the photo was the 9th of September 1971. Smile

As well as being featured in Cilla's Saturday night series, one of the images from the photo shoot was enclosed in the Ian St John testimonial programme from 1973 v Chelsea.

I just about remember her taking a penalty against Ray Clemence on the show and being slightly disgruntled that she was publicising her own career at the expense of my club. A bit like Fiona Richmond in the Crystal Palace bath? ! Laughing

se20blue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:22 pm 
Post subject:

Fiona Richmond in the Crystal Palace bath had a couple of points of interest

Shocked

Last edited by se20blue on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:40 pm 

Sorry Pete, this feature you have introduced will be like free - form jazz and shoot off in all types off different directions . Asking for comments on photos from the past are bound to get differing memories, but l don’t think that’s a bad thing. Anyway, here’s a couple of Cavern photos. Len Fairclough ( Peter Adamson) took a day off from Coronation Street and Elsie Tanner ( ( for younger readers she was the programmes glamour woman ) and paid a visit to the club in 1964. He stopped off at The Grapes( pub) on his way and by the time he arrived decided he was determined to show the kids how proficient he was on drums. By all accounts he took some convincing to leave the stage . In the other , Lennon and the others look hot and sweaty during the Beatles’ leather period at the club. Carlisleprogs,, is Bill Shankly regarded as Carlisle’s greatest ever player in the club’s history or is it someone like Chris Balderstone?
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:31 pm 
Post subject:

In polls the greatest Carlisle player is almost always decided to be Hughie McIlmoyle. His statue stands beside the ground near the club shop. Up until the Covid crisis he still attended Carlisle home games. He is a very nice, quietly spoken, man.

Chris Balderstone always rates highly; but think Shankly is remembered more as a Carlisle manager than player. He only played 16 times for Carlisle before moving to Preston.

Ivor Broadis is also fondly remembered. He lived near Carlisle until his death in 2019. As post war player manager he sold himself to Sunderland for a then record fee. He returned to Carlisle later in his playing career.

In my time watching, the best I have seen in a Carlisle shirt is Peter Beardsley. One or two older friends, say Stan Bowles. Matt Jansen was also very special and it’s a real shame that he suffered head injuries in a motor cycle accident on holiday; he would certainly have played for England.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:52 pm 

Carlisleprogs, l do remember Hugh . When l was a kid he would be regarded as Carlisle’s main man . This would be when Carlisle came to Tranmere early 1960s. He didn’t play that many games for them, but Dave Hickson was Rover’s star at the time. A year or two later, it was John Manning and Barry Dyson banging in the goals.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:29 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Did anyone here go to the Cavern in the 60's?

I've got an entrance ticket to the Cavern Club from circa '63, Pete, but only ever been to the "new" club, I'm afraid.

Have had a pint in The Grapes, though Smile
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: