Football Programmes Centre

Does anyone know this venue?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Does anyone know this venue?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:24 pm 
Post subject: Does anyone know this venue?

I can pick out Charlie Chaplin leaning against the fence, but does anyone know the venue? Thanks for any help.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:15 am 
Post subject:

Is it a football ground? It's hard to see clearly and looks as though cricket or athletics could be taking place on the day, though the large stand does suggest a football ground. People are milling about as if between events or overs - not many are looking towards the pitch. Interesting. Those stands are unique, I'd have thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:54 am 
Post subject: Does Anyone Know This Venue?

Thanks Pete, the photo came with a batch of postcards, which the seller thinks relate to the Sheffield area. First thoughts was Yorkshire cricket at Scarborough. They have played there every Summer for over 100 years. It’s a photo not a postcard. Looks like 1900- 1910 going by policeman’s uniform . Looks like a packed crowd. As you said, could be lunch or tea break at the cricket. Don’t think it’s football. It not very clear but a fascinating shot. What are that group of blokes tucking into? Could be a bag of chips?
sellsell39

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:22 pm 
Post subject:

Did Bramhall Lane Sheffield ever have a duel football /cricket purpose.

That stand on the right side of the photo is very football esque style.

I remember reading about Bramhall Lane being a cricket venue, so I wonder if it ties in with this photo ?

Last edited by sellsell39 on Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:05 pm 
Post subject: Does Anyone Know This Ground?

Sellsell , thanks for that info. I think if l check Bramall Lane early photos they might provide the answer. The 1912 FA Cup Final Replay, Barnsley v West Brom ,, was played on a very sunny day in April at Bramall Lane . It would be good if it is indeed a crowd scene from that match. Perhaps the crowd in this shot are standing near the cricket pitch end of the ground and the match is taking place down the far end. Could be half- time or pre- match? As l said, the other photos that this one came with had Sheffield links. Thanks again
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:09 pm 
Post subject:

This is Bramall Lane on Empire Day 1906

Not the same angle but it might help a bit.

Last edited by Pete’s Picture Palace on Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
goodison

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:22 pm 
Post subject:

Article here about the test match at Bramall Lane including pictures - https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/bramall-lane-england-s-one-off-test-ground-519379
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:42 pm 

Thanks Pete and Goodison. Looks like quite a vast arena in your picture Pete, which l imagine Bramall Lane was with both a football and cricket pitch. I’ve looked at YouTube footage of the 1912 Repay. The football pitch looks very muddy, but this pic could be from the cricket pitch end, which could be have been kept in good condition for the new season. Can’t think of any other football clubs that had both a cricket and football pitch in the same stadium.. The article that Goodison mentions states that even in sunny weather, the smoke from nearby factories made it gloomy. No factory chimneys in my pic, but they could be hidden by the smoke? Could well be Bramall Lane .
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:55 pm 
Post subject:

I believe the cricket ground was on one side of the main stand, and the football ground on the other, so the back of the main football stand was the cricket pavilion. I may be wrong but that's the impression I have.
goodison

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:10 pm 
Post subject:

Northampton had one for both football and cricket, 2nd post down on this page - https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/bramall-lane.224296/

Fit's in with the houses at the back.

Bradford Park Avenue also had one - https://staceywest.net/2019/06/14/forgotten-grounds-the-imps-and-bradford-park-avenue/ - but not sure that looks like the original picture
tackler7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:45 pm 
Post subject:

tackler7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

[url]
[/url]
tackler7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:52 pm 

Photo removed( copyright) but it did show football and cricket in the same arena at Bramall Lane 1950s

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
tackler7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:53 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
I believe the cricket ground was on one side of the main stand, and the football ground on the other, so the back of the main football stand was the cricket pavilion. I may be wrong but that's the impression I have.

No. You may be thinking of Headingley where that arrangement persists today with the Rugby and Cricket grounds.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:50 am 
Post subject:

Yes, I guess I am. Soz.
Barnstoneworth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

I went to Bramhall Lane in January 1970 for Blades v Everton [FA Cup3]. Blues lost 2-1 but went on to win the league that year. Ground was basically 3 sided although . if memory serves, you could walk round to the cricket pavilion side and watch from some distance . Don't think many took this option.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:46 pm 

Barnstoneworth, thanks for the reply. l really do think it’s Bramall Lane and the photo has been taken near the cricket pitch. It would probably be impossible to date it to the 1912 FA Cup Final replay , but in the photo it looks like a good crowd are up at the football pitch end. I was reading somewhere if the home or away team were winning at Bramall Lane, with minutes left to play, they would boot the the ball up to the cricket pitch to waste time. Probably during the days when refs didn’t add much extra- time . I wish Everton had a team today like that 1969-70 team .Ball, Harvey , Kendall and the rest.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:58 am 
Post subject:

OK two things here:

1. The name is Bramall Lane, .......not Bramhall Lane (we do get touchy about it).

2. Its not Bramall Lane.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:12 am 

Sharrowblade, thanks for the reply.As someone mentioned, could well be The County Ground, Northampton? Only Sheffield United, Bradford P A and Northampton Town appear to have had these dual grounds. Don’t think a non- league team would have had such a vast arena. As Pete mentioned, could be another sport such as athletics or rugby. I will probably never know!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: