Football Programmes Centre

Sporting Gold today
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sporting Gold today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:12 pm 
Post subject: Sporting Gold today

Completely forgot this was on

I was going to bid on one pre war West Ham - of course by the time I remembered I was about 20 minutes late

I hate doing that!!!
AndyBRFC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:23 pm 
Post subject:

just out of interest, has anybody else had any problems with the stream via Easy Live Auctions today? It's the first time I've used it and I've got to say that I've not been very impressed, unless of course the-saleroom stream suffered from the same connectivity issues? Confused
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:32 pm 
Post subject:

Got a 1927 cup final ticket one more to cross off the list only 4 left to get 23 26 40 41
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:36 pm 
Post subject:

By the way thanks for the heads up on today's auction Cardiff Matt much appreciated
Benno Spire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:57 pm 
Post subject:

I had no connection issues going direct through saleroom and managed to win all the lots I wanted.
gatfb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:25 pm 
Post subject:

I've not bought anything from Sportingold since the start of the year. I don't know if it's because there are a lot of people with nothing else to spend their money on at the moment but they are getting some fantastic prices for items.

Thinking about it, it may be time to run some items through them instead of ebay.
matt blue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

Cpfc jim wrote:
By the way thanks for the heads up on today's auction Cardiff Matt much appreciated

No problems mate. Glad I could help

In general I thought some of prices were crazy today.

I picked up a 38 semi final, a charity shield and a set of cardiff tour photos.

Take a look at my work in progress !!
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:52 pm 
Post subject:

Stupid money for lots of items. Are people just spending the savings they are making from lockdown?
Ridiculous bids.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:55 pm 
Post subject:

Did the 1902 Amateur Cup Final sell?
paulobee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:13 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:

£950 was the last bid.......did it "sell"?!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:34 pm 
Post subject:

paulobee wrote:
derby1884 wrote:

£950 was the last bid.......did it "sell"?!

Looks like it on their website - £950. Just reached estimate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Bokbag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:26 am 
Post subject:

I sometimes wonder if I’m just missing something with these auctions, as the prices reached seem unbelievable. Someone paid £150 quid plus commission for both legs of 1965 league cup final, with scores and team changes. They go for max £75 combined on eBay and mine was less
Bokbag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:54 am 
Post subject:

I sometimes wonder if I’m just missing something with these auctions, as the prices reached seem unbelievable. Someone paid £150 quid plus commission for both legs of 1965 league cup final, with scores and team changes. They go for max £75 combined on eBay and mine was less
se20blue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:32 pm 
Post subject:

Bokbag

Do you think people pay TWICE as much as they should ? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Bokbag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:45 pm 
Post subject:

I understand wanting to get things from an auction house as it is safer from forgeries I guess. But genuinely how is a programme that is written on and not super rare going for that amount? There is one on eBay now with no bids for £60!!!

To be fair though if it was something I was looking for and really needed I would be tempted to pay more as well. Just not twice (at least) the value
slugger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:28 pm 
Post subject: Sporting Gold today

Missed the Newport County lot due to work commitments.

It was described as having extensive duplication.

Anyone buy it?

Cheers

John
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

Bokbag wrote:
I understand wanting to get things from an auction house as it is safer from forgeries I guess. But genuinely how is a programme that is written on and not super rare going for that amount? There is one on eBay now with no bids for £60!!!

To be fair though if it was something I was looking for and really needed I would be tempted to pay more as well. Just not twice (at least) the value

YOU ACTUALLY THINK FORGERIES DO NOT APPEAR IN AUCTIONS Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
I have lost count of the number of times that I have contacted various Auction Houses to advise that an item is a fake. Over the years all were pleased with my comment and removed the nefarious crap, but there was one who tried to convince themselves and me and left it on and some buyers paid £1000's on not so honest goods.

Judge send em down!

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Bokbag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:22 pm 
Post subject:

You have managed to quote my reply and missed what I said. I have no doubt there are forgeries at auction houses. But I didn’t say there was none. I would stand by that there will be less forgeries at an auction house than in eBay... and certainly in the case of these league cup programmes I mentioned that reduction is not worth paying 2.5x what they go for on eBay
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:29 pm 
Post subject:

A pretty clear indication that some of the prices at auction are absurd

Sold at Sporting Gold yesterday for £150 + commission

504 GEORGE BEST / WEST HAM UNITED Programme for East Ham United v West Ham United 15/2 - signed by Frank Lampard

This exact same programme was sold on eBay in September for £1.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EAST-HAM-UNITED-V-WEST-HAM-1976-BOBBY-MOORE-GEORGE-BEST-FRANK-LAMPARD-SIGNED/363120465628?hash=item548baa96dc:g:ltgAAOSwfPBfb04V
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:35 pm 
Post subject:

Bokbag wrote:
You have managed to quote my reply and missed what I said. I have no doubt there are forgeries at auction houses. But I didn’t say there was none. I would stand by that there will be less forgeries at an auction house than in eBay... and certainly in the case of these league cup programmes I mentioned that reduction is not worth paying 2.5x what they go for on eBay

Not sure it has much relevance to your point anyway as that is a completely different story on its own I suspect.

I agree with your point about ebay, but in the main it is usually about signatures as the modern stuff is a nightmare and when you see signatures alll nice n neat and laid out well and signed by “players” from the 1890’s when most were illiterate you need to take a step back and similarly it can be said that a chimp could do better impersonations of today’s millionaires!

I recently came across sellers on eBay with fakes from 2 United games in the 70 and 80’s I sent them images of the originals and what they were offering and both changed the wording straight away, I was not just looking for fakes they appeared in my searches. Those items were worth pennies n comparison to an eBay seller in Scotland offering a rare United programme for 1000’s was not interested because he is a scammer and it”sold” for 3k but feedback was never left as both he and his private bullshit listing were unable to snare a punter in.

Prices at all auctions are on many occasions manipulated by a savvy auctioneer who holds the gavel who knows when a couple or more serious types are locking horns and the prices go crazy, red mist, heat of the moment, male ego not to be beaten all off these habits we all have and show and the auctioneer is well aware and will exploit this to whatever they can squeeze out of us all. Crying or Very sad Wave Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: