Football Programmes Centre

The Presidents Cup
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Presidents Cup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:04 pm 
Post subject: The Presidents Cup

I’ve decided to splash out during lockdown and picked up these couple of medals for 99p . No hallmarks on them , so don’t think they are silver. They both look to have some age to them. Both were won by A Fozard. One medal is inscribed Presidents Cup Winners , the other Sunday League Champions Div1. Lots of different sports have Presidents Cup tournaments,, golf, ice hockey, cricket, rugby, basketball, lacrosse, hurling, but they seem to be relatively modern competitions. In lreland there is the Leinster Football Association Presidents Cup, which started in 1929-30 season . The League of lreland champions play the FAl Cup winners every season, similar to The Charity Shield in England. Could this Presidents Cup medal relate to this competition? I have my doubts because l think the medals for this prestigious competition would have been made from gold or silver. Has anyone got any ideas? Many thanks.
seand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:25 pm 
Post subject:

The fact that he's won a 'Sunday League' medal suggests it's fairly low level. I notice neither are hallmarked, so relatively cheap medals. I've no record of any Fozard in the League of Ireland anyway! Still who knows, maybe somebody on here will be able to dredge up who A Fozard might be....
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:53 pm 

Thanks for having a look seand. l did think of those points, but l remember seeing Peter Davenport playing very local level football before hitting the big time. He then reverted back to Sunday League near the end of his playing days. Perhaps A Fozard ( unusual name!) had a similar career? As you said, for a prestigious completion they would probably have had better quality medals.
paulobee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:25 pm 
Post subject:

There are more "Fozard" families based in Yorkshire & Lancashire than anywhere else in GB!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:25 am 

Thanks paulobee, will look into that.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: