Football Programmes Centre

World Saucer Cup.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
World Saucer Cup.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:35 pm 
Post subject: World Saucer Cup.

Recently obtained a programme which I am convinced is a 'spoof', but for what purpose, I really don't know.
The game is billed as Inter-Lesser v Tonga, and is a World Saucer Cup Tie. The programme is marked as 'unofficial ' and priced at one shilling. On the back is stamped the date of 27 july 1966. The date printed on the cover is 40th July 1966!!!!
The team line up have peculiar names such as M.T Bottel, F.Luent, B.Sottid to name a few for Inter-Lesser, and Wai Offbeam, Allo Maitee for Tonga. The referee is named as Earl E Bird, one of the linesmen is Soo Widge. The game is marked as played at Hounslow Stadium.
Can anyone shed any light on this programme and if a game did ever take place and for what purpose. Inside contents does not give any information at all. Advert inside advertises 'Seymour' binoculars!!!

Last edited by Grumpypants on Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pablo2019

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:51 pm 
Post subject:

I’ve no idea but it can’t possibly be real, sounds amazing though! Hahaha
James

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 pm 
Post subject:

First thoughts are that it is a spoof, or it might be something from a film/play especially with those types of names.

As for Seymour binoculars, they were a genuine thing, https://telescopesbinoculars.uk/wallace-heaton-london-seymour-8-x-30-good-clear-field-binoculars-strap/86266/
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:24 pm 
Post subject:

There was a ticket produced as well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:56 pm 
Post subject:

I also noticed that a ticket was produced, but when I click for the site, the page keeps on stating 'page cannot be found'. Also noticed that the ticket on the image that you can see, also has 40th July, so no accident that the programme also has that date. Very strange. Sherlock
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> eBay All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: