Football Programmes Centre

Sports Picture Post/Sports Gazette
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sports Picture Post/Sports Gazette

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonleaguesnapshots

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 pm 
Post subject: Sports Picture Post/Sports Gazette

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get my hands on, or even just SEE, the Sports Picture Posts that were produced in 1913-14 and 1914-15 that acted sort of as precursors to the programmes we know today. Alternatively, any Sports Gazettes from 1912-1923 that might carry similar information.

Any advice on where else to look would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
martino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:44 pm 
Post subject:

Have you tried the British Newspaper Library?

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

I no longer have a subscription but you may be able to do a "guest" search on their website to see if they hold digital copies of these publications. If not then send them an enquiry.
stfc831968

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:02 pm 
Post subject:

I've got a subscription and have just had a look

They hold the Sports Gazette from 1862 to 1900; i can't see they hold any editions of the Sports Picture Posts
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:05 pm 
Post subject:

I think it may be those featured below that are required. Collected as Middlesbrough programmes, they also covered the fixtures for a multitude of local non-league teams such as Stockton, South Bank, Bishop Auckland, Redcar & Eston United as well as other sports.

above v West Brom

above v Spurs whilst also covering other non-league fixtures.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
nonleaguesnapshots

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:11 pm 
Post subject:

Rocky wrote:
I think it may be those featured below that are required. Collected as Middlesbrough programmes, they also covered the fixtures for a multitude of local non-league teams such as Stockton, South Bank, Bishop Auckland, Redcar & Eston United as well as other sports.

above v West Brom

above v Spurs whilst also covering other non-league fixtures.

That's exactly what I'm after. Specifically I'm looking for anything mentioning Redcar, it's a nightmare to find ANYTHING about their Northern League seasons in 1913/14 and then 1919-22
stfc831968

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:26 pm 
Post subject:

I've had a quick search on the British Newspaper website using Redcar, it brings up odd bits but not sure how useful it would be.

For example, i found a report from the "daily gazette for Middlesbrough" dated Monday 20 October 1913, where the match against West Hartlepool Expansion was abandoned because the West Hartlepool goalie was sent off but came back on the pitch a few minutes later and had a go at the referee.

Then in the "Yorkshire Post and Evening examiner" of Monday 24 November 1919, there is a small match report of a 2-1 home win in the Amateur cup against Eston United.

I'm not technically minded enough to be able to post the cuttings on here unfortunately.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:39 pm 
Post subject:

stfc831968 wrote:
I've had a quick search on the British Newspaper website using Redcar, it brings up odd bits but not sure how useful it would be.

For example, i found a report from the "daily gazette for Middlesbrough" dated Monday 20 October 1913, where the match against West Hartlepool Expansion was abandoned because the West Hartlepool goalie was sent off but came back on the pitch a few minutes later and had a go at the referee.

Then in the "Yorkshire Post and Evening examiner" of Monday 24 November 1919, there is a small match report of a 2-1 home win in the Amateur cup against Eston United.

I'm not technically minded enough to be able to post the cuttings on here unfortunately.

My uncle played for Eston United juniors around 1918-1920 and then for the seniors for a few years, as did his older brother I believe. Surname was CATE - if you can see that I'd be thrilled to bits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
stfc831968

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:57 pm 
Post subject:

I've had a quick search and can't see anything, the match reports are generally a line or two, and just name the scorers.

When i get some free time, i'll have a proper search around for you.
nonleaguesnapshots

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:04 pm 
Post subject:

stfc831968 wrote:

Really appreciate you looking but I've spent quite a long time on the British Newspaper Archive, I've got 600 or so articles from 1874 up to present day. Unfortunately the Sports Gazette and the Sports Picture Post aren't digitised so it's harder to get info from them
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:15 pm 
Post subject:

stfc831968 wrote:
I've had a quick search and can't see anything, the match reports are generally a line or two, and just name the scorers.

When i get some free time, i'll have a proper search around for you.

Thanks, much obliged, but please don't bust a gut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: