Football Programmes Centre

Nobby Stiles RlP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Nobby Stiles RlP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:18 pm 
Post subject: Nobby Stiles RlP

Just heard that Nobby has died. Some years ago l was in the Trafford Centre , Manchester. Not really being into shopping, l said to my wife and daughters you go and do your thing , I’ll meet you back here in a couple of hours. Had a wander around and then sat on a bench outside a shop reading the paper. Nobby walked past , carrying a couple of carrier bags. Let’s say he’s looking totally pissed off. “ You go in there and get the rest, lm sitting here “, he said to the lady with him. Just to add, it was Christmas time and THAT record by Slade was blurring out! By a strange coincidence l had been reading his autobiography ‘ After the Ball’ at the time . I thought, shall l ask the great man for his autograph to put in the book? I thought better of it, but I’m sure he would have been fine. Another hero gone, a far better footballer than he was ever given credit for.

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:55 pm 
Post subject:

Another one gone, as said above. A hero to us all in 1966 and never to be forgotten.

RIP Nobby and thank you for everything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
proudsteve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:59 pm 
Post subject:

Nobby dancing in heaven. RIP
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:49 pm 
Post subject:

Unbelievable consistent performer did what was asked of him by his manager what more could you ask fore.
During the 66 World Cup the England manager Alf Ramsay was put under pressure by people who should have known better to drop Nobby from the team he would have none of it and stood by him threatening to resign if thay did not behave..... Subject was never breached again.
RIP Nobby a true legend.
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

Stopped eusabio doing any damage in the semi very unsung performance rip Nobby won't see your like again
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:10 am 
Post subject:

"Norbert" as Sir Matt always called him, a Warrior and a Legend at Manchester United to the end, as for England he was revered for his no nonsense performances just as Bobby Charlton was for scoring.

Nobby, put fear into the hearts of some of the hardest men in the game-on the field you were his outright enemy and you will not pass and besides his image as a tough nut[which he was without a shadow] he was as it has already been mentioned a far better player than he was given credit for.

Rest in piece our Nobby Bow

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:30 am 
Post subject:

R.I.P

Another great gone.
Five and In

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:15 am 
Post subject: Nobby Stiles RIP

Very sad news, but not unexpected as he had been poorly for some time.

I had the pleasure of meeting Nobby when I had dinner with the 1966 team in the early nineties and we had a brief chat.

Only four of those heroes left now which is terribly sad.

RIP Nobby
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:42 am 
Post subject:

We had Tommy Smith, Leeds had Norman Hunter, Chelsea had Chopper Harris and Nobby was the one who would run through a brick wall for Utd. Not particularly remembered for their skill, they would give their all for their team in a totally different era of different values.

An integral part of the 1966 squad, I remember the outcry when Nobby was included in the 1970 world cup squad. Had he been used as a sub maybe he would have made a difference in the West Germany game? Some lovely tales coming out, particularly the Ian Callaghan false teeth story. Apart from the obvious, my overriding memory of Nobby is of his rotating waxwork in Madame Tussauds in London around 1968. World Cup aloft, toothy grin, his heart and soul came through even in this lump of wax.

RIP Nobby
Fishy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:20 pm 
Post subject:

Can't add to the plaudits above other than to say 'thank you Nobby'.

RIP
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: