Football Programmes Centre

Tommy Robson RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tommy Robson RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:13 am 
Post subject: Tommy Robson RIP

Very sad to report the passing at 76 of ex Peterborough winger Tommy Robson.

Gateshead born in 1944, his career started at Northampton before a move to Chelsea in December 1965, where he stayed just a year and played only 7 first team games. So he moved back home to join Newcastle and he made 48 appearances there before the transfer to Peterborough a month or so before team-mate Jim Iley made the same move.

It was at London Road where Tommy became a real legend, smashing their appearance record and playing in 482 league games before retirement in 1981. I remember well a Palace game at Posh in 75/6, he was electric and ran around like a demon all night, a dirty little bu##er too but very effective. Peterborough won 2-0 and he may well have scored one or both - he got 111 league goals there.

In 2012 this was what the Posh fans thought of him.

https://twitter.com/BBCCambsSport/status/1314302843986292736

And this is an FKS sticker from 1968-9 - in the back of the book I logged his transfer from Newcastle to Posh.

RIP Tommy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Posh1959

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:35 am 
Post subject:

RIP Tommy, a lovely guy, Thinking of his wife Helen and rest of his family. He had not been well for a while. Diagnosed with Motor neurone disease a few years ago. One of the old school greats.
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:31 pm 
Post subject:

Scored the only goal of the last game of our 74/5 promotion season at London Road when Argyle fans ( literally) took over the ground.

Good player in his time.....sad when the ones you remember watching in your youth are going....
stfc831968

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:27 pm 
Post subject:

RIP Tommy

one of my Dad's friends is an avid Peterborough supporter, and the last four times Swindon have played there (apart from last Saturday due to no crowds) he's treated us to a corporate day out. Tommy Robson was always in the lounge chatting to anyone who wanted to talk to him.

Didn't know him at all, but he came across as a lovely person, very unasumming.

MND is a horrible illness, at least he's at peace now.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: