Football Programmes Centre

A programme from this day in October
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A programme from this day in October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:27 pm 
Post subject:

12 October 1974

Wolves v Carlisle

A third consecutive loss for Carlisle in their only top flight season as Wolves won 2 - 0

Tickets for Carlisle matches in this season are generally rare and highly sought after. This is an exception as it is very common - especially in the unused form

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:27 pm 
Post subject:

85 years ago - one of my favourite cover designs.

Sheff Weds 1 Derby 0

att: 34,646

57 years ago - one of those cover designs used by dozens of clubs.

Great Harwood v Padiham.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:18 am 
Post subject:

Thursday 13th October 1955

Representative Floodlit Match at Peel Park, Accrington

Third Division North 3 v Third Division South 3

Gate: 10,521

The second of 6 such fixtures, played alternately at a northern and southern venue. The first was at Reading in March 1955. Auntie Beeb was due to televise this match which attracted a very healthy crowd, despite the presence of cameras and the great Kenneth Wolstenholme. The 6 goals were scored by (North) Connor 2 and Smith, and (South) Morgan 2 and Don Mills (Torquay), a late replacement for Hill.

I have all 6 of these programmes and I'll try to remember to feature more as the year goes by.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:38 am 
Post subject:

13 October 1945

Workington v Murton Colliery Welfare

This North Eastern League fixture ended in a 2 - 2 draw. It was Murton’s first season in the NEL. They played in the NEL for 6 seasons before returning to the Wearside League at the start of the 1951/2 season.

I would be interested to know whether Murton were regular programme issuers in their time in the NEL. I have one single sheet programmme for an FA Cup Qualifying tie v Annfield Plain in 1948/9. I can’t remember seeing any others.

Five and In

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:27 am 
Post subject: A programme from this day in October

13/10/56 Division One
Charlton 1 Arsenal 3
A bad season for Charlton who finished bottom of the table ten points from safety and were relegated. Arsenal ended up fifth.

Wales U21s v France U21s Friendly
Played at Somerton Park, Newport.
A couple of major stars taking their early steps in International football on the teamsheet in Ian Rush and Mark Hughes, along with a few others who would make the step up to the full team as well.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:36 pm 
Post subject:

64 years ago

Central League
Bury reserves 1 Derby reserves 2

36 years ago

Welsh National League
Chirk AAA v Brymbo Steelworks

I've never known what the "AAA" in Chirk's name stands for - if anyone does, let me know.
The front cover states the club were founded in 1863 but their website differs and says 1876.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:00 am 
Post subject:

Wednesday 14th October 1959

Floodlit Friendly

Crystal Palace XI 11 Caribbean XI 1

CP goals: Barnett 4, Colfar 3, Priestley 2, Noakes, Summersby

A mixed Palace XI ran amok and I'd like to know who else the Caribbeans played on their 1959 tour? Palace manager George Smith commented that they hadn't been too successful to date, and Palace were their first league opponents.

Tom Barnett scored 4, a reserve forward who bagged 2 goals in 15 full 1st team appearances. I met him about 20 years ago, he ran the pub "The Gate" at Sawbridgeworth, Herts for many years, not far from the large house then inhabited by Posh & Becks. In action and signed:-

Note the 2 guys wearing crash helmets in the crowd behind Tom. His shooting wasn't usually that bad!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:45 am 
Post subject:

14 October 1972

Carlisle United v Fulham

A 2 - 1 home win with goals from Bob Delgado and Joe Laidlaw (below) with an attendance of 6221.

Joe Laidlaw was signed from Middlesbrough in 1972. He stayed at Carlisle 4 years and scored 44 goals in 155 appearances before moving to Doncaster Rovers. He then had spells at Portsmouth and Hereford before finishing his career with a small number of games for Mansfield. Joe was part of Carlisle’s first division team and is still talked about as a great Carlisle player.
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:57 am 

14/10/59 Friendly
Newcastle 11 All Stars Select XI 4
Goals galore at St James Park with George Eastham and Len White both netting hat tricks in front of a crowd of 14,467against what looks a decent side on paper.
This was one of four friendlies that Newcastle played in the space of four weeks. I assume this was for extra revenue, but could be wrong.

nutfield priory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:34 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Wednesday 14th October 1959

Floodlit Friendly

Crystal Palace XI 11 Caribbean XI 1

CP goals: Barnett 4, Colfar 3, Priestley 2, Noakes, Summersby

A mixed Palace XI ran amok and I'd like to know who else the Caribbeans played on their 1959 tour? Palace manager George Smith commented that they hadn't been too successful to date, and Palace were their first league opponents.

Tom Barnett scored 4, a reserve forward who bagged 2 goals in 15 full 1st team appearances. I met him about 20 years ago, he ran the pub "The Gate" at Sawbridgeworth, Herts for many years, not far from the large house then inhabited by Posh & Becks. In action and signed:-

Note the 2 guys wearing crash helmets in the crowd behind Tom. His shooting wasn't usually that bad!

They toured England between August and November 1959 playing 17 games, mostly against non league teams, the only other league team they played was Millwall which they lost 5-1

Like you I met him a few years ago at the Palace, remember seeing him play for Palace, later on bought his Palace contracts and other bits of memorabilia.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:23 pm 
Post subject:

Couple of less common non-league issues, one from Scotland, one from Wales.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:41 am 
Post subject:

15 October 1947

Workington v Middlesbrough Reserves

North Eastern League Cup

Don’t know the result of this one.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:57 am 
Post subject:

Saturday 15th October 1938

Division III South

Walsall 1 Crystal Palace 1 (A Dawes)

Gate: 7,726

Honours even as Palace ended up second behind Newport, while Walsall just avoided finishing last on goal average above Bristol Rovers.

Below is Palace centre half and captain George Walker, formerly of St Mirren and Notts County and a man with 4 full Scottish caps. Very unusual for Palace to have an international in their ranks, let alone a Scottish one.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:33 pm 
Post subject:

65 years ago

Gateshead 2 (Robson, Campbell) Derby 4 (Parry, Pye, Powell, Buchanan)

att: 6,335

71 years ago

Bungay Town v Ipswich Electricity in the FA Amateur Cup. 4 page issue from a club with surely the most ferocious animal ever to grace a club crest.

The winners would be paired with Achilles (Ipswich) in the next round.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:20 am 
Post subject:

Wednesday 16th October 1968

League Cup 4th round

Crystal Palace 2 (C Jackson, C Taylor), Leeds United 1 (Madeley)

Gate: 26,217

My grandfather's last game at Selhurst - he was then 79 and got jostled and decided that was that, after 63 years. Incredibly, I'm only 5 years short of that now (the 63 years!). League champions-elect Leeds were put to the sword by promotion-chasing Palace who ended the season as runners-up to Derby Co and were up in the top flight for the first time ever. League cup holders Leeds won their maiden title.

Some interesting reading from the enclosed Football League Review, Vol III, issue 10.
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:15 am 

16/10/54 Division One
Arsenal 0 Portsmouth 1
An away win for the visitors who would finish the season in 3rd place with the hosts in 9th.

16/10/90 Under 21s International
Eugland 0 Poland 1
Played at White Hart Lane
Apparently, this was the first time that none of a starting eleven in an England Under 21s match went on to gain a full cap.
The eleven were Miller, Dodd, Vinnicombe, Warhurst, Lee, Tiler, Ebbrell, Robins, Olney, Blake, Wallace.

16/10/76 World Cup Qualifier
Luxembourg 1 Italy 4
The Italians topped the group on goal difference from England meaning it would be the second finals we missed in succession.
Luxembourg were obviously the whipping boys in the group and didn't gain a point in a group that also contained Finland.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:50 am 
Post subject:

16 October 1974

Tottenham Hotspur v Carlisle

Another from Carlisle’s only top flight season and, having beaten Spurs 1 - 0 at home earlier in the season, Carlisle came away from White Hart Lane with a 1 - 1 draw.

John Gorman was an almost ever present for Carlisle that season. He must have impressed Spurs as they signed him the following year. He made 30 appearances for them before a tackle from Jimmy Case effectively ended his top flight career. After almost two seasons out he moved over to play in the USA. Apparently, he is a good cartoonist and while out injured at Spurs some of his cartoons were printed in their programmes.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 am 
Post subject:

16 October 1965

Leeds United v Northampton Town

This was Northampton’s one and only season in the top division. They lost this one by 6 goals to 1. Bremner, Charlton and Lorimer were amongst the Leeds scorers.

I rather like the image of the entrance to Elland Road on the cover.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 am 
Post subject:

16 October 1948

Kilmarnock Reserves v Forfar Athletic

Scottish Division C

Just a fabulous programme.

Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:25 am 

Carlisleprogs wrote:

John Gorman was an almost ever present for Carlisle that season. He must have impressed Spurs as they signed him the following year. He made 30 appearances for them before a tackle from Jimmy Case effectively ended his top flight career. After almost two seasons out he moved over to play in the USA. Apparently, he is a good cartoonist and while out injured at Spurs some of his cartoons were printed in their programmes.

He was indeed a good cartoonist carlisleprogs, and the club also used his drawings for the club calendar in 1978 which I still have 42 years later!
Here's a few images - Himself, Glenn Hoddle, Ralph Coates & Colin Lee.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: