Football Programmes Centre

A programme from this day in October
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A programme from this day in October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:58 pm 
Post subject:

Saturday 28th October 1950

Division III South

Southend United 5 Crystal Palace 2 (J Thomas, Stevens)

Gate: 10,837

So a thumping for Palace and the season got even worse. This was the third straight loss and after 3 more, manager Ronnie Rooke got the heave-ho. Saddest of all was that he had scored 5 goals in the 6 games he played, and he remained top scorer at season's end, when Palace successfully sought re-election. Here's Ronnie as manager

Shrimpers fared rather better, ending in 7th place. In the match shown in the back page photo, they beat Colchester 4-2 a fortnight earlier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:51 am 
Post subject:

29 October 1966

South Shields v Hull City Reserves

North Regional League

29 October 1938

Queen’s Park Rangers v Crystal Palace

A souvenir of the opening of a new stand. Built at a cost of £7000. The match ended in a 2 - 1 win for Palace.

Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:30 am 
Post subject: A programme from this day in October

29/10/57 Friendly
WBA 6 CDSA Moscow 5 (now CSKA Moscow)
This friendly was to commemorate the first match at the Hawthorns to be played under floodlights and attracted a crowd of almost 53,000.
Bobby Robson, Don Howe, Ronnie Allen, Derek Kevan (2) and Frank Griffin scored for the Baggies who were in great form having lost only once in their opening fifteen games that season.
The highlight for the Russians was a hat trick from Vasiliy Buzunov.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:55 pm 
Post subject:

Saturday 29th October 1960

Division IV

Northampton Town 1 (Tucker), Crystal Palace 2 (Uphill, Byrne)

Gate: 13,943

A top of the table clash at the County Ground saw Palace sneak a crucial away win with veteran Dennis Uphill and young tyro Johnny Byrne getting the important goals. Palace had a great mix of youth and experience in that promotion season, the club's first since 1920/1. Byrne scored 30 goals, Roy Summersby 25, Ron Heckman 14, Alan Woan 13, and Uphill 6.

Playing in the local park around then and for a good few years, whenever one of us would boot it miles over the bar, we all shouted "UPHILL", which in retrospect was probably a tad unfair on a man who scored 147 league goals in his career. The Glaziers ended as runners-up to the Posh while the Cobblers also went up in 3rd place.

But Johnny Byrne was different gravy. His brilliance and goalscoring drove Palace to promotion and paved the way to a stellar (but all-too brief) top flight career at West Ham, and just 11 England caps with 8 goals. Here he is in 1962, shortly before his then-record £65k transfer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:02 pm 
Post subject:

82 years ago

Chelsea 0 Derby 2 (Dix, Astley)

att: 37,919

71 years ago

Everton 1 Derby 2 (Harrison, McLaren)

att: 38,020

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:20 am 
Post subject:

Wednesday 30th October 1957

Representative Match at Selhurst Park

Division III South 2, Division III North 2

Gate: 12,690

This was the 5th match of 6 in this sequence of rep SvN games. I wish they'd started earlier but of course they had to finish at the end of the 57/8 season. The final match was at Carlisle in March 58. In this match at Selhurst, outside right Bernard Harrison became the only Palace player selected in all 6 games.

This programme was the first Palace programme I ever had, my brother went to the game and kept it and when I was 6 I decided it was mine and started collecting programmes for games I went to. That was April 1962.

Bernard Harrison from 1956/7 team photo

If anyone's interested there is a book about his life in sport, Brushes with the Greats, published in 2001, written by Kevin Smallbone. Bernie played football for Portsmouth, Palace, Southampton, Exeter, Poole Town & Dorchester Town and many more. He played county cricket for Hampshire and at club level for Basingstoke & North Hants CC.

ISBN 0-9537880-2-4
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:38 am 
Post subject:

30 October 1937

Manchester City v Birmingham City

30 October 1948

Accrington Stanley v Southport

30 October 1965

Macclesfield Town v New Brighton

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

55 years ago

Sunderland 3 (Martin, Gauden, Mulhall) Northampton 0

att: 32,216

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:44 am 
Post subject:

Saturday 31st October 1959

Division IV

Gateshead 0 Crystal Palace 2 (Rees, Byrne)

Gate: 3,901

A good win for Palace on the club's last ever visit to Redheugh Park. Billy Rees scored the only goal of his short league career - this was the winger's second game of 18 in all for Palace after joining from his local club Swansea in the previous summer, and he played only 7 times for the Swans. He moved to Hastings United in summer 1960. This is a rare photo of him from November 59.

The Glaziers finished a disappointing 8th, but for the poor old 'Heed things were more desperate as they ended up in 22nd (of 24) and failed re-election with Peterborough making the move up. That was despite having 6 points more than wooden-spoonists Hartlepools, and 5 more than Oldham. I presume the main reason could be found in the attendance figure, but even that was 1400 higher than for the Palace game at Rochdale and only 80 down on the equivalent attendance at Hartlepools. This was only their second-ever application for re-election, and first since 1937, whereas Palace successfully appealed 3 times between 1949 and 1956. Sometimes, life is a real bitch.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:33 am 
Post subject:

Here are three random programmes from 31 October.

1958 and Walsall host Crewe

1959 Workington v Crewe

1964 ES Clydebank v Berwick Rangers.

A 2 - 1 home win with an estimated attendance of 3500. This was the only season that ES Clydebank played in the Scottish League. From memory, they produced 20 or 21 programmes, some of which are quite hard to get.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:41 pm 
Post subject:

Something old and very simple 4 pages (and apologies that it is two days late) and a very new 84 page programme

29 October 1921

Accrington Stanley v Croston

99 years later!!

31 October 2020

Exeter City v Carlisle United

Ordered from the Exeter City online shop yesterday and delivered this morning (£5 plus £1.50 postage). This would be a very good programme at any time, but bearing in mind current circumstances, it is remarkable.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:39 pm 
Post subject:

84 years ago and another great front cover from the home club.
This match was Albert Wilson's one and only appearance for the Rams.

Chelsea 1 Derby 1 (Nicholas)

att: 15,529

38 years ago and 30p gets you not just a programme but also admission to the ground.

FA Sunday Cup

Undeb United v Ollis Transport

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: