Football Programmes Centre

Just Obtained
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Just Obtained

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
facup1939

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:36 pm 
Post subject: Just Obtained

A couple of weeks or so ago, I went to see Colliers Wood Utd v Hanworth Villa in the Combined Counties League. I have always gone to a few non league games, but have seen a lot more this season now a trip to Fratton Park is a no no.

Despite getting there more than 30 minutes before kick off, they had already sold out of programmes. I was told they only printed 20. Disaster!

The total attendance was about 90, but because it was a Wednesday night, with not much else on locally, there were a few groundhoppers, most of whom buy programmes.

I asked around, in the bar etc, and even asked the tannoy man at the end of the game if he wanted his programme, but sadly he did. I had already been to Colliers Wood a couple of weeks earlier, to see an F A Cup tie, so I already had one of their programmes this season, but you know what it's like, if you collect programmes, especially games you attend, you want a programme.

Anyway, the announcer suggested that I leave my name and address behind the bar, and they would see if one turned up. This I did, along with £1. That was on 9th September. I had heard nothing and, to be honest, had pretty much given up on it.

This morning my doorbell rang. I opened it to find the Chairman of Colliers Wood Utd who, it turns out, only lives a couple of roads away, clutching a Colliers Wood v Hanworth Villa programme saying I believe you wanted one of these!

I don't know where they found it but it really made my day. Thanks Steve!
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:59 pm 
Post subject:

Brilliant

Great to hear stories like this

About 10 years ago, when my two boys were much younger, we were at Butlins holiday camp in Bognor Regis. One day, we went for a walk to see the football ground. There was no game or anything. It was summer and the close season but we just wanted to see where Bognor Regis played.

When we get there, two older gentlemen are in a portacabin at the ground so I ask if there was any way i could buy a couple of tops for the boys.

One of the older men apologised and explained that the boy who did the strips was a fireman and he was working that day!

On hearing we were down from Scotland, the man opened up the ground and gave us a tour, directors room et al. That man was called Ian Peace (if memory serves me right)and it turns out he was club chairman and previous player and director. A fantastic gesture and a great day.

He took my number and said he would phone me if he could get hold of the kit man.

The day before we were due to leave to come home, i got a call. It was Mr Peace. Come to the front gate of the resort he said.

I did and there he was with two full kits for my boys and some memrobalia, including a programme.

I knew the kits were 30 pound each so handed him 60 pound which he promptly gave me most of it back

Something me or my boys have never forgotten and although we have done the tours of the Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Everton and London clubs, the Bognor Regis experience rates right up there at the top.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:08 am 
Post subject: Re: Just Obtained

facup1939 wrote:
A couple of weeks or so ago, I went to see Colliers Wood Utd v Hanworth Villa in the Combined Counties League. I have always gone to a few non league games, but have seen a lot more this season now a trip to Fratton Park is a no no.

Despite getting there more than 30 minutes before kick off, they had already sold out of programmes. I was told they only printed 20. Disaster!

The total attendance was about 90, but because it was a Wednesday night, with not much else on locally, there were a few groundhoppers, most of whom buy programmes.

I asked around, in the bar etc, and even asked the tannoy man at the end of the game if he wanted his programme, but sadly he did. I had already been to Colliers Wood a couple of weeks earlier, to see an F A Cup tie, so I already had one of their programmes this season, but you know what it's like, if you collect programmes, especially games you attend, you want a programme.

Anyway, the announcer suggested that I leave my name and address behind the bar, and they would see if one turned up. This I did, along with £1. That was on 9th September. I had heard nothing and, to be honest, had pretty much given up on it.

This morning my doorbell rang. I opened it to find the Chairman of Colliers Wood Utd who, it turns out, only lives a couple of roads away, clutching a Colliers Wood v Hanworth Villa programme saying I believe you wanted one of these!

I don't know where they found it but it really made my day. Thanks Steve!

Did they keep the quid? Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
andyjess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:15 am 
Post subject:

There's 19 of them on ebay BIN at 50p each !
Laughing
Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:29 am 
Post subject:

Pacey Winger wrote:
Brilliant

Great to hear stories like this

About 10 years ago, when my two boys were much younger, we were at Butlins holiday camp in Bognor Regis. One day, we went for a walk to see the football ground. There was no game or anything. It was summer and the close season but we just wanted to see where Bognor Regis played.

When we get there, two older gentlemen are in a portacabin at the ground so I ask if there was any way i could buy a couple of tops for the boys.

One of the older men apologised and explained that the boy who did the strips was a fireman and he was working that day!

On hearing we were down from Scotland, the man opened up the ground and gave us a tour, directors room et al. That man was called Ian Peace (if memory serves me right)and it turns out he was club chairman and previous player and director. A fantastic gesture and a great day.

He took my number and said he would phone me if he could get hold of the kit man.

The day before we were due to leave to come home, i got a call. It was Mr Peace. Come to the front gate of the resort he said.

I did and there he was with two full kits for my boys and some memrobalia, including a programme.

I knew the kits were 30 pound each so handed him 60 pound which he promptly gave me most of it back

Something me or my boys have never forgotten and although we have done the tours of the Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Everton and London clubs, the Bognor Regis experience rates right up there at the top.

I've always had a real soft spot for Bognor Regis Town FC - they really are a great club with some great people behind the scenes.

The chap you refer to is the legendary Jack Pearce -

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/bognorregistownfc/teams/73056/coach/jack-pearce-1309382
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:00 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Maidonian

Apologies to Mr. Pearce.....a real gent
facup1939

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:20 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Leslie

Yes, they did keep my £1 but, to be fair, they didn't ask me to leave it in the first place. I didn't want to be seen as trying to get something for nothing and at the moment, the little clubs need all the help they can get.

On a similar point, I wonder if we are seeing the start of a new trend. A lot of the Isthmian Premier League clubs are now selling advance tickets online, as they have much reduced capacities. Kingstonian have also added the option to prepay for a programme to reduce the amount of cash handing, although you can still buy one for cash on the day.

However, I have just booked a ticket online for Enfield Town on Saturday, as they have a reduced capacity of 300, and there is also the option to prepay for a hardcopy programme. They also do an online version, and it would seem to indicate that only people who prepay will get a hard copy. It will be interesting to see if any are on sale for cash on Saturday.

I guess it means you get your print run right, with none left over.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: