Football Programmes Centre

Kings Head FC, Kettle Bridge ?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Kings Head FC, Kettle Bridge ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baltimore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:51 pm 
Post subject: Kings Head FC, Kettle Bridge ?

This is one of the most bizarre, and who knows rare item?

Has anyone else seen this series before?

And the obvious question is who is, or was Kings Head FC. Why a perfume manufacturer would want to promote non league football is baffling...

Where is Kettle Bridge? I have heard it may be FIfe?

Any thoughts?
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:27 pm 
Post subject:

http://perfumeintelligence.co.uk/library/perfume/g/houses/Girard.htm

This suggests the perfume was from 1900, what you have looks like a scented card which were a form of advertising, both for the perfume maker and (in this case) the local football team but could as easily be any other business or society

Kings Head sounds like a pub team so very obscure, Kettlebridge is indeed in Fife - a quick look at Google Earth shows it is a largish village built around a playing field (with a pitch and a club house)
Baltimore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:56 pm 
Post subject:

Wow Sid, thanks for this prompt insight.Once again the Forum at its best.

Are there any Scottish Junior Football experts, who could corroborate if we are on the right track? Or do we have the wrong Kettle Bridge?

Intriguing!
Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

This little snippet was taken from the Sheffield Daily Independent in October 1922. However the Kettle Bridge ground seemed to host games for numerous teams in that era not specifically just for Kings Head. A possible candidate maybe located in a Sheffield suburb?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
soccerhistorian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:44 pm 
Post subject:

The Green Un for 8 December 1923 has a report of a Sheffield Minor League game: King's Head 1, Stag Inn 0. Played at Kettle Bridge.

There are several other reports for this team in the 1920s on the British Newspaper Archive and I would guess this is the club.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:23 pm 
Post subject:

Many thanks for this thread. Its a lovely little item.

Kettlebridge was an area in Darnall, Sheffield.

Here's a map from the early 60s.

On the Map, the markets were part of Kettlebridge. Indeed they were to be named Kettlebridge but were simply called the wholesale markets until the building of the Parkway (A57) into Sheffield in 1974, when they became the Parkway Markets.

I can find no mention of a sports ground but clearly the area was large enough to have one around WW1.

The actual kettlebridge is still there today, and spans the railway line.
I wouldn't advise walking across it during the hours of darkness, you are quite likely to be mugged.

The Old Kettlebridge school still stands. It was a very impressive building, but numbers dwindled and it closed. Built in 1904, Its now grade II Listed, but for many years it was in the Top 10 endangered buildings of the Victorian/Edwardian period. The council as usual let it decay before selling it to some Asians.

The Kings Head was built in 1903 was just behind Darnall Station, just a little down the Sheffield/Lincoln railway line (about a mile). its roughly in the bottom right corner of the map.

I played football a couple of times against them back in the 80s.

Although the pub has now gone, the building still retains some nice exterior features, took this tonight on the way home from work

With regards to the newspaper clippings,

The Stag, mentioned in all probability, is the one at Woodhouse, although not a common name for a public house in the area, back then Woodhouse was the next but one village on, (after Handsworth) on the same railway line.

Shipman Sports also got a mention, Shipmans were known for high quality wire, and weren't far away at Attercliffe. Sheffield had a thriving works league for decades.

I will see if I can find any info or pictures on the sports ground.

I cannot explain why they used a perfume card, apart from the fact these were available from Boots chemists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Baltimore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:39 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you all for your super responses.

Fascinating how a story evolves...
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:59 pm 
Post subject:

This is a brilliant thread - thanks to Baltimore for uploading it and everyone else for the fascinating insight.

Bow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
martino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:59 am 
Post subject:

Agreed. There is more to football than the Premier League and a lot of interesting history.
Baltimore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:33 am 
Post subject:

Does any one else have a similar item with a sporting connection.

I can’t believe others weren’t made.

These Sheffield folk must smell good (?).
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:07 am 
Post subject:

Like a greasy chip butty Smile
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: