Football Programmes Centre

Lilleshall Hall FA School of Excellence - Help needed
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lilleshall Hall FA School of Excellence - Help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:26 pm 
Post subject: Lilleshall Hall FA School of Excellence - Help needed

A while ago I acquired several of these boards showing images of various Lilleshall Hall FA School of Excellence teams/years.
There is no information as to who the players are or years though and I am stuck on trying to identify and date them. Obviously a huge percentage of them drifted out of the game without making a mark.

This one shows Andy Cole and Ian Walker in the back row, but most of the players on all of the photos are not familiar to me. I'm guessing this one is around 1987/1988 ish.
Every board has Dave Sexton as the coach.

My question is...does anybody know where I can find a list of scholars that attended the centre annually?
Any help appreciated as always.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:38 am 
Post subject:

I have this press photo from Lilleshall some time in the 60's, it has Graham & Gordon Taylor, and Dario Gradi, in the front row and many others I can't identify - like yours, many of them disappeared from the game.

I can't help with your question I'm afraid but thought this might help to drum up some conversation.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:36 pm 

Cheers Pete.
Hopefully there is some kind of record somewhere of who attended and when.
Nice photo by the way Cool
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:15 am 
Post subject:

Middle row second from left looks like a young Steve Walters, attached to Crewe at the time, I know he went in the same years as Andy Cole & Ian Walker.

I seem to remember that in an interview when talking about his time there, Andy Cole made reference to a young Vietnamese kid who everyone was raving about who did nothing in the game but no one could recall his name. No help what so ever.
New Forest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:17 am 
Post subject:

Not sure where or if you might find what exactly you want. What may be of great interest is The official history of the English Schools' Football Association 1904-2004 by Colm Kerrigan. Certainly has one picture of Lilleshall. Has many pictures and mentions of schoolboys who did make it.

Great picture of Edgar Kail (later Dulwich hamlet) captaining the England team v Scotland in 1915 at Molineux. One of Len Shackleton in 1936.

Colm is an authority on Schoolboy football.
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 am 

Thanks for those comments guys.
I'm not too hopeful to be honest.
I have eight different years all with team photos like the one shown and I don't recognise anybody other than the two mentioned.
New Forest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:01 pm 
Post subject:

According to Colm Kerrigan Andy Cole (Nottingham) scored two goals versus West Germany Under 15 friendly at Wembley in 1987. Trevor Francis did not make the team having failed to impress in the trial.
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:12 pm 
Post subject:

Not sure if this is of any use to you, however, click on these links which relate to the FA School of Excellence.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9944644/Michael-Owen-We-got-all-the-prettiest-girls-because-we-were-England-schoolboys-at-Lilleshall-it-led-to-big-fights.html

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/remembering-lilleshall-footballs-answer-hogwarts

Also I am sure that Kevin Pressman (Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper) and Wes Brown (Man Utd) went to the school.
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:54 pm 

GreatBarrWolf wrote:
Not sure if this is of any use to you, however, click on these links which relate to the FA School of Excellence.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9944644/Michael-Owen-We-got-all-the-prettiest-girls-because-we-were-England-schoolboys-at-Lilleshall-it-led-to-big-fights.html

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/remembering-lilleshall-footballs-answer-hogwarts

Also I am sure that Kevin Pressman (Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper) and Wes Brown (Man Utd) went to the school.

Cheers for that Wolf.
I saw those links a few days ago.
I knew about Brown, but not Pressman. I'll have a look at the photos.
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:02 pm 
Post subject:

Might be worth posting a couple at a time and setting us the challenge
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:19 pm 

GrestytheLion wrote:
Might be worth posting a couple at a time and setting us the challenge

Will do over the weekend Gresty. Sherlock
Yorkshireman

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:53 pm 
Post subject:

Hi I can be of help with naming the players . My cousin is on the middle row on the right ( Simon Charlton who played for Huddersfield, Southampton, Bolton and Norwich). Having been down to watch him at Lilleshall I became familiar with the other players. To the best of my knowledge I can name all but 2 and question marks placed against their name.

Top row Michael Turner, Jason Kavanagh?, Andy Cole, Paul Towler, Ian Walker, Brian Small, Scott Arron Houghton

Middle Paul Williams?, Steven Walters, Paul Mitchell, Hung Dang, Simon Charlton,

Front row don’t know the 2 officials on the left, Dave Sexton and I think Mike Kelly (Coaches), the couple in the middle were the principals Dennis and ???.
Yorkshireman

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:25 pm 
Post subject:

In addition to the post about the lilleshall photo, the teams they are associated with were. Ian Walker (son of former Norwich manager Mike) Spurs, Paul Mitchell (Bournemouth briefly West Ham then back to Bournemouth), Simon Charlton (already mentioned), Jason Kavanagh ( Birmingham , later Derby), Paul Towler ( Watford), Hung Dang (Spurs) later Exeter and non league, Steve Walters (Crewe), Michael Turner (Portsmouth), Paul Williams ( Man City), Scott Arron Houghton (Spurs later Walsall), Brian Small (Aston Villa ), Andy Cole (was with Arsenal then the rest is well known). There were a few missing from the photo ( Matthew Alexander (Wimbledon), The late Billy Seymour (Coventry City), Olisa Morah (Spurs later Cambridge ) Jonathan Stanger GK (Mansfield).
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:07 am 

Many thanks for this information Yorkshireman.
Much appreciated.
Yorkshireman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:25 pm 
Post subject: Lilleshall photo

The gentleman to the left of Dave Sexton is Dennis Saunders who was the Principal of the Lilleshall School and his wife is to the right of Dave Sexton whose name escapes me. This year group 86 to 88 played in the curtain raiser match against Denmark under 16s at Wembley ahead of the Centenary match Football League v Rest of The World on 8 August 1987 ( I have the programme to the game ).
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: