Football Programmes Centre

A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:10 am 
Post subject:

SATURDAY 9th MAY 1987 - FINAL DAY DRAMA
1986/87 saw the end of the Re-election process where the bottom 4 teams in the 4th Division were reliant on the 'old boys club' votes of fellow League teams to save them from relegation to non-League football. From now on it was 'last man out'!
Torquay Utd needed a result against Crewe:

Trailing 2-0 at half-time Torquay scored early in the 2nd half but needed a 2nd goal for a point. As the clock ticked down a Dog attacked a Torquay player stopping the game for circa 5 minutes or so. In the time added on Torquay scored the vital 2nd goal:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/may/09/torquay-united
Meanwhile at Turf Moor, Burnley a founding member of the League were in danger of losing League status as the hosted Orient:

Burnley managed a nervy 2-1 win.
This left Lincoln City who lost 2-0 at Swansea as the club to be bottom on the final day and relegated on goal difference.
Poor Lincoln had not been in bottom place in the League all season until the final fateful day.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:50 pm 
Post subject:

Portsmouth, 9-May-1955, Liberation Day game. This was a game to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the liberation of Jersey.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
overlap

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:15 am 
Post subject:

John Radford testimonial, Arsenal v Hajduk Split, 10 May 1977.
Arsenal won easily in front of 14,000 fans, and the clubs would meet again in UEFA Cup 18 months later.
Radford won the Fairs Cup, FA Cup and League title with Arsenal.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:44 am 
Post subject:

10 May 1980 FA Cup Final

Arsenal 0 West Ham United 1

A win for the underdogs as second division West Ham beat the overwhelming favourites with a Trevor Brooking goal.

36 years later, 10 May 2016, West Ham played their last league game at the Boleyn Ground

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:30 pm 
Post subject:

10th May 1966

To Scandinavia for tody's offering:

Lyn Oslo v Sheffield United, a 2-2 draw in front of a 20,000 crowd

Uninspiring cover, but should set you back between £30-40

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
overlap

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:20 am 
Post subject:

11 May 1966, Chelsea v Barcelona, Fairs Cup semi final, 2nd leg

Chelsea Having been beaten 2-0 in the first leg at Camp Nou, at Stamford Bridge looked to be heading for a 0-0 draw until Eladio Silvestre's sending off for a wild swipe at John Hollins late in the first half.

In the 71st minute Gallego deflected a Bobby Tambling header into his own goal before a young Manuel Reina – the father of Liverpool's Pepe Reina – pawed Peter Houseman's speculative shot into his net to send the tie to a play-off.
Barcelona won a coin toss to determine that the game would be played at Camp Nou, where the Catalans soundly thrashed Chelsea 5-0.

Also to note a programme for the original postponed fixture in April 1966 sold for £1800 on Ebay in August 2018.

Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:08 am 
Post subject:

SATURDAY 11the MAY 1963
Everton round off the season as Champions with a 4-1 win over Fulham:

Elsewhere Leyton Orient's only ever season in the top Division ends with a
2-0 defeat at West Ham as the O's are relegated with just 21 points. Manchester City's 1-0 win over Tottenham is not enough and City go down with Orient.

Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:30 am 
Post subject:

SATURDAY 11th MAY 1963
A crowd of 66,199 fill Stamford Bridge, Chelsea's Home average for the season was 29,376, as Chelsea host Stoke City in the game that will decide which team goes up as 2nd Division Champions

A 35th minute goal for Stoke by Jimmy McIlroy goives Stoke a 1-0 victory and the title.
Meanwhile Sunderland are at Swansea and win 4-3 and equal with Chelsea on 52 points but it is not enough to overcome Chelsea's better Goal Difference 1.92 against 1.52. Chelsea bounce back as Runners Up after relegation in the 1961/62 season as Sunderland finish 3rd for the 2nd season in a row. They would go one better in 1964 as Runners Up to Leeds Utd.

Rocky

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:00 am 
Post subject:

Not that long ago, just 12 years to be precise, Boro handed out an 8-1 spanking to Manchester City which consequently turned out to be Sven-Göran Erikssons last game in charge. Times have changed, (just a tad), with Boro now languishing in the lower regions of the Championship and City bludgeoning their way to domestic successes season after season. However, Boro can claim to have inflicted City’s worst ever defeat in their Premier League history which may stand for quite a while.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:38 am 
Post subject:

Last home game 0f 1981-82 season and Rovers and Rovers beat Oxford 1-0.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:29 pm 
Post subject:

Wednesday 11th May 1977

League Division III

Wrexham v Crystal Palace - Gate: 18,451

Having beaten Wrexham at Selhurst Park just 8 days earlier, Palace arrived in North Wales for their last match of the season, one point behind their hosts who still had one further match to play. It was all or nothing for Palace, and what followed for this travelling fan, and any of the others, was one of the most exhilarating nights in our club's history (which goes back to 1905, but that's another story).

In between the game on 3rd May, and today, Palace had beaten Lincoln 4-1, while Wrexham had a 2-2 draw with Oxford. Meanwhile coming up on the rails, Rotherham won 1-0 v Gillingham. So the league table looked like this as today's games started. (Rotherham were away to Reading).

3rd Wrexham PL 44 F 78 A 49 GD 29 PTS 58
4th Palace PL 45 F 64 A 38 GD 26 PTS 57
5th Rotherham PL 44 F 62 A 43 GD 19 PTS 55

Palace raced into a 2-0 lead thanks to Dave Swindlehurst & Steve Perrin's goals, but after half time Wrexham hit back with Graham Whittle again to the fore to make it 2-2. As the hectic, thrilling game reached the 89th minute, Palace won a corner, it was half cleared but sub Rachid Harkouk lobbed it back in just under the bar, so Palace went 3-2 up. This put Palace 1 point ahead but still behind on GD so, had it ended like that, Wrexham would need just a draw at their last game. But Harkouk wasn't finished. As the game went into stoppage time, he picked up a loose ball and threaded it through for Jeff Bourne to bury it in the corner. Cue total pandemonium. Palace keeper Peter Caswell, on his one and only first team appearance, climbed the fence behind his goal, where we were all going mad. Phil Holder, all 5' 4" of him, tried the same. But to be honest, I don't remember anything else.

So Palace were now 1 point ahead and crucially, 1 goal ahead. So now Wrexham would have to win their last game, which would be played on the following Saturday - at home to champions-elect Mansfield Town.

Oh, and Rotherham won 3-0 at Reading. They now had 57 points and GD 22. So they would have to hope for a Mansfield win and then would have to beat Port Vale away by 7 goals to overtake Palace.

Got the train home with the players, directors and staff all on board, and we arrived back in London at about 3 a.m. Work the next day. And here's my real pride and joy.

For the final outcome, and if remotely interested, watch this space on Thursday 14th.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:59 pm 
Post subject:

Great post. Amazing how a football match can create such great never to be forgotten memories.
I made a habit, where possible, of keeping match reports with my programmes but can still remember ceratin games because of how events unfolded on the day.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:18 pm 
Post subject:

11 May 1963

Season still ongoing with a few matches to play due to the winter postponements.

Carlisle 2 Hull City 1

A case of too little too late for Carlisle who were heading for relegation. A crowd of under 3000 saw Livingston and McIlmoyle score for Carlisle.

If there is any player from Carlisle’s history that I could go back in time and see it would be Hughie McIlmoyle. He is always voted the greatest Carlisle player of all time. He has his own statue beside the club shop. Hughie still lives near Carlisle and can be seen at most home games. He is a quietly spoken man and you would never think he would terrorize defenders like he did.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

11th May 2015

Swindon Town 5 Sheffield United 5

League 1 Play off Semi final 2nd Leg

(United lose 7-6 on aggregate)

The game that just kept on giving, a record breaking play-off contest for all the wrong reasons for United. The most goals in a game I can remember witnessing, on a glorious spring evening in Wiltshire.

5 away goals and we still go out. 4 down on aggregate after 17 minutes.

Add to that being pulled over by police In Chesterfield for drifting across the lanes of a roundabout at 2am in the morning. How else do you exit a roundabout?

Manager Nigel Clough was to be fired two weeks later

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:26 pm 
Post subject:

12 May 1951

Festival of Britain

Carlisle v Shamrock Rovers

A rare issue. Fairly flimsy 4 pager. Team picture of Shamrock on page 2 and line ups on page 3.

Shamrock moved onto Workington 2 days later. I will put that programme on here on Thursday. Carlisle played Waterford on the 16th but I have never seen a programme for that game and it is generally accepted to be a non-issue.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:40 pm 
Post subject:

12 May 1951

Festival of Britain

Bury v Sportklub Rapid Vienna

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:36 pm 
Post subject:

12th may 1968

Tirsense v Sanjoanense

Final game of the 1967-8 Portuguese Top Division

Tirsense were relegation was confirmed.

Sanjoanense would join them a year later

garyspain

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:08 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
12 May 1951

Festival of Britain

A rare issue. Fairly flimsy 4 pager. Team picture of Shamrock on page 2 and line ups on page 3.

Shamrock moved onto Workington 2 days later. I will put that programme on here on Thursday. Carlisle played Waterford on the 16th but I have never seen a programme for that game and it is generally accepted to be a non-issue.

Agree nothing known for Carlisle v Waterford.

I require the following. Serious cash paid for any of these.

Southport v Drumcondra. Oldham v Cork Athletic,
Accrington Stanley v Cork Athletic, Oldham v Bohemians,
Accrington Stanley v Bohemians, Rochdale v Bohemians.
Rochdale v Shamrock Rvs, Carlisle v Waterford , St. Mirren v Distillery,
Dundee v Distillery,Stirling v Distillery.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

garyspain wrote:
Carlisleprogs wrote:
12 May 1951

Festival of Britain

Agree nothing known for Carlisle v Waterford.

I require the following. Serious cash paid for any of these.

Southport v Drumcondra. Oldham v Cork Athletic,
Accrington Stanley v Cork Athletic, Oldham v Bohemians,
Accrington Stanley v Bohemians, Rochdale v Bohemians.
Rochdale v Shamrock Rvs, Carlisle v Waterford , St. Mirren v Distillery,
Dundee v Distillery,Stirling v Distillery.

Hi Gary

Are any of your wanted definite issues or are they suspected non-issues?
garyspain

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:46 pm 
Post subject:

Oldham definitely issued for Cork Athletic. I believe St. Mirren v Distillery also exists but cannot confirm 100%. I don't know for sure if programmes exist for the others.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: