Football Programmes Centre

A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:27 am 
Post subject:

The final game of the season and Rovers finish on a high with a 1-0 win over Reading at Elm Park.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Footyfan

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:57 pm 
Post subject:

6th MAY 1967 - WEST HAM UTD v MANCHRSTER UTD
A full programme of League matches on 6th May 1967 with Manchester Utd sealing the Championship in style with a 6-1 victory at Upton Park as challengers Forest, Spurs and Leeds all drop points.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/west-ham-united-v-manchester-united-06-may-1967-79304/
This title win proved to be Manchester United's last for 27 years until the Premiership title win in 1993. Arch rivals Liverpool have waited even longer having last been crowned as Champions 30 years ago in 1989/90.

Last edited by Footyfan on Wed May 06, 2020 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocky

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:08 pm 
Post subject:

We haven’t had many ‘modern day progs’ featured recently, so here we go. It's probably from one of the lesser known FA competitions, it's the final of the bi-annual FA Inter-League Cup which took place at Bramall Lane on 6th May 2018. In their inaugural season The North Riding Football League (formerly the Teesside League) were victors beating the York Football league 4-2.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:50 pm 
Post subject:

Never seen that Rocky......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Rocky

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:29 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
Never seen that Rocky......

It’s a full colour 20 page issue. I enquired in a few places and was told there was no issue and then I stumbled across it on eBay about 2 months ago. I would imagine it had a very low print run.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:24 pm 
Post subject:

6 May 1950

Workington 1 Spennymoor 1.

Last match of the season and nothing to play for. Workington’s goal was scored by Willie Harkness. I have stolen a modern picture of Willie from the Workington site to go on this post as they run an “on this day” feature.

There was a Willie Harkness involved with the SFA and Queen of the South in particular. Not sure if it’s the same man

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:18 am 
Post subject:

7 May 1960 FA Cup Final

Blackburn Rovers 0 Wolverhampton Wanderers 3

There are a few nicknames for this match:

As both teams applied the offside trap one commentator called it “the offside final”

It was a very hot day and many men took off their jackets (it was usual to attend in Sunday best) leading another commentator to call it “the white shirt final” due to the number of white shirts visible in the crowd.

Another commentator called it “the dustbin final” after Blackburn fans showered the celebrating Wolves players with any rubbish they could find on the terraces - apparently including programmes.

The match itself was played at a very slow pace due to the heat. Wolves went ahead on 41 minutes through a McGrath own goal and two minutes later Blackburn were down to 10 men after Dave Whelan (DW sports and Wigan Athletic owner) broke his leg.

No substitutes at that time. I have put a few cup final programmes on to this thread and it is surprising just how many of the matches were at least partly defined by one team or another losing a player to injury.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:25 pm 
Post subject:

2016. At the start of the day Accrington were 2nd with 84 points, Oxford 3rd with 83 and Rovers had 82. We simply had to win and hope one of the others lost. The one thing I knew I couldn't cope with was for one of them to not win and we fail as we don't get the 3 points. Should all 3 of us win, well, we had done our best and would just have to go up through the play offs like the previous season. with seconds to go were were drawing with already relegated D&R. It was excruciating as Accy for the first time in the whole season had failed to score at home and were also drawing. Then it happened. After hitting the woodwork for about the hundredth time Lee Brown followed up and we won 2-1. Then followed an agonising wait till the whistle went at Accy and we were up. Back to back promotions for the first time in our history. May 2015 we had played a game in the Conference. Now a year later were in League 1. Superb. The rest of the day is now a happy blur after far too many ciders.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:55 pm 
Post subject:

7 May 1955 FA Cup Final

Manchester City 1 Newcastle United 3

Another match affected by a serious injury. This time to City full back Jimmy Meadows who suffered an injury in the 17th minute that ended his final and also his career.

This was Newcastle’s 6th FA Cup win and their last major trophy. Jackie Milburn scored their opening goal after 45 seconds. This was the fastest Wembley final goal at the time; a record that stood until 1997.

Bob Stokoe was in the Newcastle team and Don Revie in the city team.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

7th May 2005

Olympique Marseille v Stade Caen - French la Ligue

Oversize Programme

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:59 pm 
Post subject:

7 May 1938

Doncaster Rovers 1 Tranmere Rovers 1

A clash between the top two in the final match of the division 3 north season.

Tranmere were top and had a 2 point lead over Doncaster with a far superior goal average. Tranmere were promoted at the end of the season.

Barnsley and Stockport were relegated from division 2 meaning that the following season Port Vale played in division 3 south rather than north.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:12 am 
Post subject:

Happy St Jimmy’s Day. A day probably only celebrated in Carlisle.

8 May 1999

Carlisle United 2 Plymouth Argyle 1

Carlisle sitting in 92nd place in the league needed to do better than Scarborough to save their place in the league. Scarborough’s match finished a few minutes before Carlisle. A serious injury to a Plymouth player had caused a lengthy delay.

Scarborough has drawn 1 1 with Peterborough and their fans, hearing that Carlisle and Plymouth were level at 1 each, must have assumed that the Carlisle match was over. As they celebrated, Carlisle were awarded a 95th minute corner. Jimmy Glass, on loan keeper, made his way up into the area. Standing watching the match, which had been dire, I cannot describe how 94 minutes of desperation and misery turned into absolute exhilaration when Sir Jimmy calmly stroked a knockdown from the keeper into the back of the Plymouth net.

I am not normally one for pitch invasions but I was on the pitch within seconds.

Anyway Carlisle stayed up. I think they would have gone out of business had they gone out of the league then. By the time they went out of the league 5 years later they were in a better position to come straight back up.

Sir Jimmy only played 3 times for Carlisle but is welcomed back to the city as a legend.

For anyone who hasn’t seen the goal or heard the commentary it is easily found on YouTube

Last edited by Carlisleprogs on Fri May 08, 2020 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:32 am 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
Happy St Jimmy’s Day. A day probably only celebrated in Carlisle.

8 May 1999

Carlisle United 2 Plymouth Argyle 1

Carlisle sitting in 92nd place in the league needed to do better than Scarborough to save their place in the league. Scarborough’s match finished a few minutes before Carlisle. A serious injury to a Plymouth player had caused a lengthy delay.

Scarborough has drawn 1 1 with Peterborough and their fans, hearing that Carlisle and Plymouth were level at 1 each, must have assumed that the Carlisle match was over. As they celebrated, Carlisle were awarded a 95th minute corner. Jimmy Glass, on loan keeper, made his way up into the area. Standing watching the match, which had been dire, I cannot describe how 94 minutes of desperation and misery turned into absolute exhilaration when Sir Jimmy calmly stroked a knockdown from the keeper into the back of the Plymouth net.

I am not normally one for pitch invasions but I was on the pitch within seconds.

Anyway Carlisle stayed up. I think they would have gone out of business had they gone out of the league then. By the time they went out of the league 5 years later they were in a better position to come straight back up.

Sir Jimmy only played 3 times for Carlisle but is welcomed back to the city as a legend.

For anyone who hasn’t seen the goal or heard the commentary it is easily found on YouTube

Having typed this out I now can’t find the programme. Will get it on later as I have half a dozen somewhere. A couple of images instead for the moment

I thought you would choose that one!

It was my one and only trip to Carlisle, I think it was about number 90 of the 92. A triple header with Coventry v West Ham Youth Cup final on the Friday, Carlisle on the Saturday then Bury on the Sunday

I was in the main stand sat directly behind Michael Knighton (fat tachy b*****d) who got dogs abuse throughout. A truly memorable occasion and even as a neutral I was misty eyed at the end

Quite a memorable month that as just a couple of weeks later I was in Barcelona for Bayern - Man U - again as a neutral - but I don't think even that matched Jimmy Glass's heroics
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:54 am 
Post subject:

You picked a good day to visit Brunton Park!! It hasn’t changed since your visit. Probably just a bit more dilapidated. Michael Knighton was despised at the end of his time but the first 3 years were among the best I have had watching Carlisle.

There is another article in the paper today about the events of that day (kindly forwarded by Pete). It is below if anyone wants to read it

Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:15 pm 
Post subject:

MONDAY 8th MAY 1972 - Wolves v Leeds United
Leeds should have played Wolves on 18th March 1972 but the game was postponed because Leeds were still in the FA Cup, an involvement that ended with a Cup Final victory over Arsenal on Saturday 6th May 1972.
The Football League insisted the Wolves game had to be played just 2 days after the Final. Looking for a point to secure the Double, after starting the season with 8 away games, Leeds lost the game 2-1. The same evening Liverpool could only draw 0-0 at Arsenal so missed out on the title leaving Derby County as Champions.
The Wolves v Leeds Utd game has been linked on several occasions to allegations of Leeds attempting to bribe Wolves players to throw the game. In 1982 Billy Bremner sued Tthe Sunday People newspaper in the High Court and was awarde £100k in damages.
The allegations surfaced again in 2004 when Peter Lansly published his book 'Running With the Wolves'ex-Wolves.

Last edited by Footyfan on Fri May 08, 2020 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:20 pm 
Post subject:

8 May 1971 FA Cup Final

Arsenal 2 Liverpool 1 (AET)

All three goals scored in extra time. Liverpool took the lead through Steve Heighway. Either Eddie Kelly scored the first goal by a substitute to equalise or George Graham scored it. There is still debate to this day.

There is no doubt that Charlie George scored the winner. His celebration is one of my all time favourites. Arsenal had won the double and Charlie George in particular cemented his place in the long history of Arsenal.

This is a final I remember watching avidly and before I opened the programme I was sure I could still name the teams that day. I didn’t quite manage it as didn’t get Alun Evans and Brian Hall for Liverpool and Peter Simpson eluded me for Arsenal. The old memory isn’t as good as I thought it was

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:33 pm 
Post subject:

1948 and the traditional (in Bristol) final game of the season. A Gloucestershire Cup Final. Final!!!! Only two teams entered) Rovers won 2-1 in front of 16,000 fans.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:11 am 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
8 May 1971 FA Cup Final

Arsenal 2 Liverpool 1 (AET)

All three goals scored in extra time. Liverpool took the lead through Steve Heighway. Either Eddie Kelly scored the first goal by a substitute to equalise or George Graham scored it. There is still debate to this day.

There is no doubt that Charlie George scored the winner. His celebration is one of my all time favourites. Arsenal had won the double and Charlie George in particular cemented his place in the long history of Arsenal.

This is a final I remember watching avidly and before I opened the programme I was sure I could still name the teams that day. I didn’t quite manage it as didn’t get Alun Evans and Brian Hall for Liverpool and Peter Simpson eluded me for Arsenal. The old memory isn’t as good as I thought it was

The first ever FA Cup Final I ever saw, the Charlie George celebration still a lasting image.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:26 am 
Post subject:

May 9th 1965

An exhibition game in Vancouver, Canada, before United played Blackpool 11 times in a month in New Zealand Surprised

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:53 am 
Post subject:

9 May 1951

Festival of Britain

Hull City v Partizan Belgrade

I am hoping this will be the first of many on this thread from the festival. There were some fantastic fixtures and hopefully we will get to see a few of the programmes.

This is one of the more common issues.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: