Football Programmes Centre

A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colchestersid

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:21 am 
Post subject:

Millwall 3 West Ham 5 – ‘Arry Cripps Testimonial, May 4th 1971

This probably wasn’t a very good idea

Let’s get the off-field stuff out of the way first. Millwall and West Ham’s rivalry goes back to the Victorian era and there is plenty of commentary (accurate or otherwise) online about the events outside the Den that night

Better I think to focus on the legendary Harry Cripps – there are Millwall collectors on here who will be able to give a more personal tribute but, looking back, perhaps West Ham would have done well to have kept him rather than let him go – his steel and strength may have given us a fighting chance of league success in the 60’s. It is commonly said that he never played for the West Ham first team. Not true – in 1960 he played once for us in the Southern Floodlight Cup – very much a first team competition at the time. The opposition? Millwall – of course…

As for the programme, 16 pages, a nice “thank you” from Harry but perhaps lacking in any other tributes to Harry himself (although room was found for a rather pointless potted history of Millwall). Harry himself later played for Charlton, had various coaching positions (ranging from assisting his old friend Bobby Moore at Southend to coaching public schoolboys at Winchester College) and worked as an insurance broker in the city. He died in 1995, just 54 years old.

Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am 
Post subject:

Newly crowned 2nd Division Leeds Utd take on Hudddersfield Town in a West Riding Senior Cup Semi-Final 2nd Replay - Leeds winning 3-1 in front of a crowd of 11.442
League clubs no longer compete in what is now the West Riding County Cup with Osset Unoited being the current holders.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:46 am 
Post subject:

Played at Badminton Park this game was staged to raise money for the National Playing Fields Association and King George V1 National Memorial Funds. For Rovers it was also a celebration as we had been promoted for the first time in our history.

You can see some Pathe News film of the game here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxSzei1dAzA

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:38 pm 
Post subject:

4th May 1956 - Inter Cities Fairs Cup Group D game -LONDON V BASLE XI played at Tottenham's White Hart Lane. The London Team was a mixture of London club players. London won the game 1-0 with an 87th minute goal from Robb

London made it to the Final losing 8-2 on aggregate to a Barcelona XI.

Last edited by Footyfan on Mon May 04, 2020 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:08 pm 
Post subject:

4th May 1946

Rare Programme from the game between Burnley and the Blades.

Will cost you a few bob

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:09 pm 
Post subject:

4 May 1957

FA Cup Final Aston Villa 2 Manchester United 1

A match remembered for many reasons but the first thing I think of is the early injury to the United goalkeeper, Ray Wood (I saw an amazing documentary about the match and Wood’s injury; can’t remember what the documentary was called). A legal shoulder charge left Wood unconscious and with a broken jaw. He was replaced in goal by Jackie Blanchflower, but returned to the field as an outfield player. No substitutes then. He went back in goal for the last few minutes of the game.

Peter McParland, whose shoulder charge injured Wood, scored both Villa goals while Tommy Taylor scored for United.

Six of the players in the United team, including the goal scorer, Tommy Taylor and Duncan Edwards lost their lives at Munich the following year. Two others were so badly injured they didn’t play again. Ray Wood survived Munich, but only played once more for United before moving to Huddersfield.

The only surviving member of the United team now is Bobby Charlton and if google is to be believed, Peter McParland is the last surviving player from the Villa team.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 am 
Post subject:

5th May 1959

London 5-a-side Football Championship (sponsored by the Evening Standard)

Final between Crystal Palace & Charlton Athletic Result 4-1

Johnny Byrne, still a fortnight short of his 20th birthday, gave an indication of what was to come in his spectacular but brief career - scoring 5 goals in the 3 games Palace played in winning this competition as a 4th division side. Palace beat London's finest, Spurs & Arsenal, to reach the final, and then dumped Charlton 4-1 with Byrne grabbing a hat-trick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:48 am 
Post subject:

I used to love Sportsnight, usually with David Coleman, in the 1970s especially the night every year when they had the 5 a side football tournament on.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:33 am 
Post subject:

5 May 1956

FA Cup Final

Manchester City 3 Birmingham 1

Known as “the Trautmann final” this match is remembered for the bravery of Bert Trautmann, the City keeper, who was knocked unconscious and later found to have broken a bone in his neck. He played on until the final whistle. Trautmann, a former German prisoner of war, had been named footballer of the year two days before the final.

Don Revie, now better remembered as Leeds United manager, was in the winning team.

Grumpypants

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:00 am 
Post subject:

Bert Trautmann a truly fantastic goalkeeper. Recently his life was shown in the film 'The Keeper', well worth watching.
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:27 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
5th May 1959

London 5-a-side Football Championship (sponsored by the Evening Standard)

Final between Crystal Palace & Charlton Athletic Result 4-1

Johnny Byrne, still a fortnight short of his 20th birthday, gave an indication of what was to come in his spectacular but brief career - scoring 5 goals in the 3 games Palace played in winning this competition as a 4th division side. Palace beat London's finest, Spurs & Arsenal, to reach the final, and then dumped Charlton 4-1 with Byrne grabbing a hat-trick.

Johnny Byrne's winners medal from the tournament[url]
[/url]
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:16 am 
Post subject:

After the drama of the biggest Bristol Derby in history on the 2nd we now came to the last game of the season away at Blackpool. A win for Rovers and we were champions. Any other result could mean the dark side could take the title. A win it was 3-0 and Ragbag Rovers were 3rd Division Champions.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:18 am 
Post subject:

5th May 1990

Forever etched in Blades Folklore

Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:44 am 
Post subject:

Grumpypants wrote:
Bert Trautmann a truly fantastic goalkeeper. Recently his life was shown in the film 'The Keeper', well worth watching.

To expand on the little snippet on Don Revie being in the Manchester City team - Revie was instrumental in the 'Revie Plan' with Revie, not known for his pace, playing as a deep lying centre forwrad, It brought City a modicum of success including winning the 19565 FA Cup Final. Revie had fallen oyt of favour with the City Manaager but was reinstated to the team for the Final and was named as Man of the Match:
https://inostalgia.co.uk/football/the-revie-plan/
Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm 
Post subject:

5 May 1973 - FA CUP FINAL - Underdogs 2nd Divison Sunderland cause one of the biggest upsets in modern FA Cup History defeating Holders and overwhelming favourites Leeds Utd 1-0 at Wembley. Sunderland scored early in the 1st half and and a combination of dogged defending and superb goalkeeping by Jim Montgomery kept Leeds at bay for the rest of the game.

Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:16 pm 
Post subject:

5 MAY 1960 - Glasgow Rangers v Eintracht Frankfurt European Cup Semi-Fina 2nd Leg - Rangers trailing 6-1 from the 1st Leg defeat crash 6-3 at home to lose 12-4 on aggregate:

Eintracht returned to Glasgow for the Final just 2 weeks later only to crash 7-3 to Real Madrid in a classic game of football:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pc1wBGnMDY - 3mins of highlights
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:32 pm 
Post subject:

5 May 1921

Carlisle v Sunderland

A benefit for Herbert Routledge. I have tried to find out why there was a benefit for Herbert without success. I have programmes from
20/1, 21/2 and 22/3 and he is named as left half in every one. He isn’t named in the 23/4 issues that I have.

Google searches haven’t thrown up any information about Herbert’s football career or any war time service in the 1st war.

RoddyN

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:38 pm 
Post subject:

Leeds United v Chelsea 5th May 1934.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:50 pm 
Post subject:

5 May 1928

Workington v Spennymoor (North Eastern League)

A 2 - 2 draw was the result in the last game of the season.

A pocket size issue. The cover on this one is partially discoloured but is worth showing as it is a rare season. Workington, along with other clubs, were suffering low attendances due to the Great Depression.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:20 am 
Post subject:

May 6th 1989

One of the most popular Blade programme covers in the last few decades is this one from United's 5-1 win over Swansea City.

It currently ranks No 10 on my flickr site for viewings

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: