Football Programmes Centre

A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:02 pm 
Post subject:

May 2nd 1957

Boston United v Sheffield United Fred Tunstall Testimonial

In 1919 Tunstall came to the attention of United and Barnsley, Barnsley didn't think he was worth the £10 signing on fee and instead spent it on 6 pigeons and a ferret.

He joined Scunthorpe in the midland league and shortly afterwards United paid a record fee for a non league player.

Tunstall transfer was all done rather quietly. Tunstall made his debut at White Hart Lane, whilst Spurs had sent their manager to watch him at Scunthorpe on the same day Laughing

Scored the winning goal in the 1925 Cup Final

In 1936 he moved to Boston, where he was, player, coach, manager and groundsman over a period of 30 years.

Last edited by sharrowblade on Sat May 02, 2020 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pompeynutter

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:29 pm 
Post subject:

Rocky

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:47 pm 
Post subject:

Towards the back end of the 82/83 season Boro reverted to producing some newspaper style progammes, printed on white glossy type paper. There were only produced for 6 league games in total and the one here was v Crystal Palace dated 2nd May 1983. This game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch and eventually played on 10th May with this same issue used. To go alongside these 6 newspaper type programmes, the local rag produced a freebie for those fans on their way to the game. These are very scarce. The one featured is for the 10th May game and as far as I’m aware one wasn’t produced for the postponed game.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

Never seen that before, Rocky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
stfc831968

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:17 pm 
Post subject:

2 May 1970

Swindon play their first match in the Anglo-Italian Cup, and beat Juventus 4-0 at the County Ground

colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:39 am 
Post subject:

West Ham United 3 Brentford 2 – South Regional League, May 3rd 1941, attendance 3,000

As with all West Ham home programme from the Second World War, a single sheet issue for 1d.

A season which had begun with our first home game abandoned on the first day of the blitz (the raid started just a few minutes later) came towards its’ conclusion as the blitz was also coming to an end – the last raid came just a week later on May 10th as Germany set their sights on invading the Soviet Union.

There are no references in the programme to such momentous events– only the service ranks allocated to some of the West Ham players hinted at the circumstances of the time. Crowds for this season were significantly lower than any other war-time seasons (as low as 500 on occasion) and programmes are very rare.

Two guest players for the Hammers – Harold Hobbis of Charlton and Sgt. Herbert Waller of Arsenal. A notable absentee for West Ham was Len Goulden, scoring for England in a 3-1 win over Scotland in front of 78,000 at Hampden Park. To put that in context, West Ham’s average crowd that season was under 2,500!

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:53 am 
Post subject:

3 May 1930

Carlisle v Wigan Borough - Division 3 North

Last match of the season. Carlisle won 5 - 0. They had lost the fixture at Wigan in September by 8 goals to nil so this was quite a turn around.

overlap

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:47 am 
Post subject:

Watford v Walsall, 3 May 1960, last match of the 1959/60 season in Division Four for both teams.
Walsall were champions and Watford were promoted in fourth place. Both positions were cemented before this last game, so the teams could relax as they played out a 2-2 draw.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:23 am 
Post subject:

3 May 1952 FA Cup Final

Newcastle 1 Arsenal 0

The referee for this one was Arthur Ellis who eventually became the referee on the very popular tv show “It’s a knockout”.

Arsenal were down to 10 men after 35 minutes, losing Wally Barnes to a twisted knee. No substitutes in those days, and Arsenal went on to suffer 3 more injuries. By the time George Robledo scored the winner in the 84th minute, Arsenal had 7 fit players on the field.

This was the last cup final not to be transmitted live on TV. The BBC chose to show a cricket match between Worcestershire and a touring Indian team instead.

I thought about putting up the 1958 final cover; however, I thought that might be better done by a United fan who could reflect on the achievement and bravery of their team in reaching the final in the aftermath of the Munich crash
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:50 am 
Post subject:

3 May 1971 - Arsenal visit North London looking for a victory to pip Leeds Utd for the title and complete the 1st leg of 'The Double' with a FA Cup Final scheduled for 5 days later against Liverpool.
A Ray Kennedy header 2 minutes from time seals a classic "1-0 to the Arsenal" win and the Title goes to Highbury.

The 'Pirate' programme was a common feature at big games in the 1950s/1960s and early 1970s.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:03 am 
Post subject:

Wolves welcome Spurs to Molineux in the first all English European Final for 1st Leg of the UEFA Cup Final

The 1972 UEFA Cup Final was the final of the first ever UEFA Cup football tournament. The UEFA Cup replaced the Inter Cities Fairs Cup tournament.
The Final was a two-legged contest played on 3 May and 17 May 1972 between two English clubs, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur.
Tottenham Hotspur won the tie 3–2 on aggregate. A 2–1 victory away from home in the first leg proved decisive for them, with Martin Chivers scoring a remarkable late winner, firing in an unstoppable shot from 25 yards. They then held Wolves to a 1–1 draw in the second leg to win the competition.
If you have an hour to spare you can watch the game highlights here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idAt9RQeSL4

Last edited by Footyfan on Sun May 03, 2020 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:12 am 
Post subject:

I remember a lovely story about that game

Apparently the Spurs directors promised the players' wives that they would be taken on a trip to the final if Spurs went all the way

No doubt they were hoping maybe Paris, Milan or Barcelona

Instead.... Wolverhampton Laughing
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:04 pm 
Post subject:

Footyfan wrote:
Wolves welcome Spurs to Molineux in the first all English European Final for 1st Leg of the UEFA Cup Final

The 1972 UEFA Cup Final was the final of the first ever UEFA Cup football tournament. The UEFA Cup replaced the Inter Cities Fairs Cup tournament.
The Final was a two-legged contest played on 3 May and 17 May 1972 between two English clubs, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur.
Tottenham Hotspur won the tie 3–2 on aggregate. A 2–1 victory away from home in the first leg proved decisive for them, with Martin Chivers scoring a remarkable late winner, firing in an unstoppable shot from 25 yards. They then held Wolves to a 1–1 draw in the second leg to win the competition.

A landmark game this one for myself. I had just turned six at the time, and in those days we had supper. In my case, it was Farley rusks with chocolate spread and warm milk, Laughing we only had the one tv, and that was in the front room, so I had to listen to the game on the radio in the back, the first I can remember doing so.

With the innocence of youth, and the magic of Peter Jones's commentary, I chose Spurs, and ever since always had a soft spot for them, so thanks footyfan for taking me back there for a moment.....and Sid, great story that.....its often been said this season, that if Sheffield United were to qualify for Europe (would be a 1st), that we'd probably draw somebody like Bala Town, no disrespect intended and lose in the Qualifying Rd, now even if there were to qualify nobody would be there anyway Crying or Very sad Sad
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:19 pm 
Post subject:

3rd May 1947

Chelsea 1 Sheffield United 4

A couple of goals from Jimmy Hagan, and a missed penalty from Chelsea helped them on their way.

Incredibly United still had a further 7 League Games to play, and ultimately would have a say in where the title was destined

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:23 pm 
Post subject:

Tuesday 3rd May 1977

Crystal Palace v Wrexham

Gate: 18,583 Result: 2-1

As you can see from the league table, Palace had to win this game to have any chance of promotion and the pressure was on. I think Graham Whittle (Alan's kid brother) and the subject of a few derisory comments, scored for the visitors but a Paul "Doris" Hinshelwood penalty and one by Dave Swindlehurst gave Palace the 2 points but they still needed the wheels to come off at Wrexham or one of the others at the top. Luckily, one set of wheels did fall off - and they were Welsh wheels.

More to follow.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:54 pm 
Post subject:

Really enjoying the information being posted on this thread and getting a football history lesson to boot.
One of the benefits of having a collection of old memorabilia is how a particular item often jogs the memory to recall events, dates, scorers.........
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:27 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
Footyfan wrote:

A landmark game this one for myself. I had just turned six at the time, and in those days we had supper. In my case, it was Farley rusks with chocolate spread and warm milk, Laughing we only had the one tv, and that was in the front room, so I had to listen to the game on the radio in the back, the first I can remember doing so.

With the innocence of youth, and the magic of Peter Jones's commentary, I chose Spurs, and ever since always had a soft spot for them, so thanks footyfan for taking me back there for a moment.....and Sid, great story that.....its often been said this season, that if Sheffield United were to qualify for Europe (would be a 1st), that we'd probably draw somebody like Bala Town, no disrespect intended and lose in the Qualifying Rd, now even if there were to qualify nobody would be there anyway Crying or Very sad Sad

I was at the game real anti climax for the Wolves having beaten some of the top teams in Europe including Juventus and Ferenchvaros to be playing against a team from your own county was a real disappointment fans just could not get up for the game either a very poor gate of only 38,000 at the game if Wolves had played the other beaten semi finalist AC Milan I am sure it would have been a different outcome.
Lovely prog for the game great effort by the Wolves.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:44 pm 
Post subject:

Doog, I'm perhaps not the best person to comment, given that Palace have never been in Europe let alone reached a final, but I would imagine it was just as anti-climactic for Spurs, having just beaten mighty AC Milan?
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

1946/7 Workington v Hartlepools Reserves

Notes on the back say that the season has been extended until 14 June after the numerous postponements and abandonments caused by the harsh winter, including two abandonments at Consett

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:05 am 
Post subject:

4 May 1929

Carlisle United v Notts County (Friendly)

A week after the last league match in their first league season, Carlisle played Notts County in a friendly.

I have no idea why the friendly was played but Carlisle won 5 - 2.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: