Football Programmes Centre

A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:48 am 
Post subject:

Weds 16th May 1951 (my mum's 33rd birthday)

Festival of Britain

Crystal Palace v Nancy

Result 1-2

4 pages only, back page an advert for a coach firm

Didn't know much about Nancy till Tony Cascarino joined them in 1996 and then, when the ROI picked their team, Cascarino (Nancy) would be called up. That was an unfair slur on a decent striker whom I had the pleasure of meeting at a party one evening when he was at Gillingham and going out with a lovely young girl in our Accounts dept. At that stage, his only connection with ROI was the pint of Guinness in his hand.

He dumped this girl (Jo) soon after and she was heart-broken. What a bounder!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:15 am 
Post subject:

16 May 1951

Festival of Britain

Sheffield Wednesday v Frem.

A nil nil draw. One of the common Festival issues. I was going to put on Gillingham v Vervietois but it isn’t where I thought it was.

garyspain

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:32 am 
Post subject:

My team Limerick's final game in the Festival of Britain 69 years ago today.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:43 am 
Post subject:

17 May 1947

Friendly: Carlisle v Bolton Wanderers

Gate receipts from the match went to the Bolton disaster fund. In March 1946 a crush at the Railway end of Burnden Park during an FA Cup tie with Stoke City resulted in 33 deaths and an estimated 400 injuries. Details of how the accident happened and of how the match was allowed to continue are quite harrowing and can easily be found if anyone wants to know more.

The 1946/7 season was badly delayed due to the very harsh winter of 1947. Bolton had finished their season on 10 May but Carlisle still had 3 League matches to play after the friendly.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:43 am 
Post subject:

17th May 1948

Friendly on the Isle of Man between Us and Them

The game finished 2-2, with Paddy Sloan scoring for the Blades, it was to be his last before his transfer to Milan.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:14 am 
Post subject:

17th MAY 1987 - First ever Play Offs Semi-Final 2nd Leg.
Leeds leading 1-0 from the 1st Leg travel to Boundary Park where Oldham score early in the 1st half to level the score and strike in the 89th minute to take a 2-1 lead. A late. late goal (90 mins) from Keith Edwards forces extra time and with no futher scoring Leeds go through on Away goals.
Oldham included a reprint of a 1907 Oldham Athletic v Leeds City

Meanwhile, at The Valley Charlton overcome Ipswich 201 to secure a 2 legged final agaonst Leeds
Rocky

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:06 pm 
Post subject:

A couple of friendly programmes that don’t turn up too often.

After winning the 2nd Division Championship in 73/74, Boro finished off the season playing a number of testimonial games before paying a visit to Norway. Boro played the aptly named Viking on May 17th 1974 winning 3-1.

Three years to the day, Boro returned to Norway this time playing Lillestrom, winning narrowly 1-0.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:08 am 
Post subject:

18th May 1963

Division III

Crystal Palace v Carlisle United

Result: 3-0 (Burridge, Long, Allen) Gate: 10,242

Line-ups

Fixture List

So on 1st April Palace were one of many clubs who had 14 or so games left to play. This was the 12th of those, and also the second of four games in 8 days to finish the season off. I'll try to dust off the Southend and Barnsley programmes on the appropriate dates.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:45 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
18th May 1963

Division III

Crystal Palace v Carlisle United

Result: 3-0 (Burridge, Long, Allen) Gate: 10,242

Line-ups

Fixture List

So on 1st April Palace were one of many clubs who had 14 or so games left to play. This was the 12th of those, and also the second of four games in 8 days to finish the season off. I'll try to dust off the Southend and Barnsley programmes on the appropriate dates.

You beat me to it today as I was going to put on the same programme. It wasn’t one of Carlisle’s better seasons, as despite having won their previous two home games, Carlisle were relegated.

Playing right back for Carlisle that day was Hughie Neil, a man who, before joining Carlisle in 1961, had played a few league games in Scotland for both Falkirk and St Johnstone and also spent 3 years on the books at Rangers without playing. Hughie played 247 times for Carlisle before retiring in 1969 due to a back injury. He was well liked and respected at Carlisle and eventually became chief scout. He was killed in a road traffic accident in November 1978, while on his way to watch Meadowbank Thistle v Berwick Rangers.

Hughie is still fondly remembered by many at Carlisle. For those of you that know Brunton Park, the sports centre on the corner of the ground by the away fans section is named the Neil Centre in his honor.
WBA57

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:03 pm 
Post subject:

18th May 1969

The Palo Alto (USA) Diamond Jubilee Tournament
All matches plated in the Stanford Athletic Stadium
Other teams taking part - Vitoria Setubal & California Clippers

Dukla Prague 1 West Bromwich Albion 2

Four Page A4 size Card Programme

Please read the Laws of the Game
Offside - No wonder the Americans couldn't understand it

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:54 pm 
Post subject:

18th May 1962

Ontario All Stars v Sheffield United

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:59 am 
Post subject:

19 May 1951

Cumberland XI v Newcastle (at Workington)

Cup winners, Newcastle, won this one 6 goals to 5 with around seven of the cup winning team named on the team list. Notable absence being Jackie Milburn.

This match sometimes appears in the list of Festival of Britain matches; however, it could just be the usual Cumberland FA charity match that was played at the end of most seasons in the immediate post war period.

The programme is printed on very poor quality paper and like the FOB match v Shamrock is 4 pages. The Shamrock issue specifically states that it is a festival match. The issue now shown doesn’t. Not a lot of reading material on this one.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:44 am 
Post subject:

19 May 1954

Glenavon v Port Vale (Billy Cush benefit match)

I came across this while looking for something else. I think it’s fairly common and I bought it cheaply a few years ago from eBay.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:22 am 
Post subject:

Two more Festival of Britain matches from 19 May 1951 both involving visitors from Denmark.

The first is Southampton v KB Copenhagen. A colourful cover to this 4 pager, with team lines in the centre and a paragraph each in Danish and English on the rear.

The second is Aston Villa v Frem. Villa programmes have always had plenty of reading material and this one has a debate on whether substitutes should be allowed. It was another 14 years before one substitute was allowed and then only to replace an injured player.

Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:17 am 
Post subject:

[img]FRIDAY 19th MAY 1967 - INTER CITIES FAIRS CUP SEMI-FINAL

A crowd of 43000 pack into Elland Road for Friday night football. years before SKY Sports started messing around with the traditional football schedule

Revie era squad player Rod Belfitt scored a hat-trick as Leeds defeat Kilmarnock 4-2

Rod Belfitt went on to play for both Ipswich Town and Everton,

Last edited by Footyfan on Wed May 20, 2020 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Pompeynutter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:58 am 
Post subject:

Referee Roger Milford has a lot to answer for,

"He was 5 yards offside"

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:28 pm 
Post subject:

19th May 1984

One from Malaysia....

Sarawak v Sheffield United

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:15 am 
Post subject:

Not quite so far East....

Monday 20th May 1963

Division III

Southend United v Crystal Palace

Result: 1-0 Gate: 7,962

Refreee - Jim Finney (Hereford). Well well. Just 12 days earlier, he was refereeing Scotland v Austria at Hampden Park and he abandoned the game on 79 minutes due to rough-housing by the Austrians, fearing that "somebody would have been seriously hurt". And here he was just a few days later turning up at Roots Hall on a Monday night. Who'd want to be a referee? One bloke who did - the linesman - Ron Challis (Tonbridge), a future Cup Final referee. Well, you got to start somewhere!

This was Palace's third game in 6 days with another to come 2 days later. A lack-lustre 1-0 defeat maybe heralded that the season couldn't finish early enough. But see what happened on Weds 22nd.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:15 am 
Post subject:

20 May 1972

Anglo Italian Cup

Workington 3 Carlisle 3

12 days later, on 1 June, Carlisle went to the Olympic Stadium in Rome and beat the mighty Roma 3 - 2

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:25 am 
Post subject:

Had to feature this one today. Our first ever trip to the twin towers for the Mickey Mouse cup final. Not the result we wanted as we lost but! We were 3rd division champions already and this was the iceing on the cake. What a day.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: