Football Programmes Centre

A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:38 pm 
Post subject:

A 1-1 draw saw the traditional end of season Gloucestershire Cup Final at Eastvilee in 1951.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
garyspain

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 am 
Post subject:

A recent one for today:

13 May 2006

FA Cup Final

Liverpool v West Ham United

Often known as “the Gerrard final”. A really great final which ended 3 - 3 in normal time. Fantastic goal from Steven Gerrard to equalise as the match went into injury time. No goals in extra time and Liverpool went on to win 3 - 1 on penalties.

overlap

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:57 am 
Post subject:

From the same day as Liverpool v West Ham, the Scottish Cup Final of 2006, featuring Hearts v Gretna.

I was at this game, having got a ticket in with the Gretna fans, the first team from the third tier to reach the Scottish Cup final.

A memorable and enjoyable day out, Hearts got the fright of their lives, but won on penalties. Just two years later Gretna were gone from Scottish league football after a meteoric, and controversial, 6 year existence in the league.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:45 am 
Post subject:

Gretna is less than 10 miles from Carlisle with a tiny population. The benefactor of the football club was a man called Brooks Mileson. He had apparently failed in a takeover at Carlisle and put money into Gretna who were probably used to attendances of a couple of hundred at most. Anyway within about 5 years Gretna got from non league to the Scottish Premier League and to the Scottish Cup Final. Mileson fell into health and withdrew his support in 2007 leaving the club £4 million in debt and bankrupt.Mileson died suddenly aged 60 in 2008 and it was found that he was massively in debt too.

A new club was formed, Gretna 2008 FC, and they became founder members of the Lowland League in 2013. They still play at Raydale Park where the old Gretna club played. It’s a friendly little ground to visit with a small social club, the wee bar, right beside the pitch. I have been a few times in recent years.

For a short while Gretna was the closest British league club to Carlisle. That now falls to Annan Athletic.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:40 am 
Post subject:

13th MAY 1966 STAMFORD BRIDGE LONDON
England face Young England in the final warm up game before the 1966 World Cup Tournament won by England without leaving London (Wembley):

Alf Ramsey used the game as a squad warm up with onlyBobby Moore and Bobby Charlton as first choice players although Jimmy Greaves did play in the early Group Stage Cup games before injury saw him replaced by Final hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst. Final winners Alan Ball and Martin Peters appearing for Young England:

The England versus Young Engaland game was played annually from the late 1950s into the 1960s, usually at a stadium in London.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:58 pm 
Post subject:

13th May 2018

Wenger's last

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:33 am 
Post subject:

Saturday 14th May 1977

Division III

Wrexham v Mansfield Town Gate: 20,754

A tribute to the home side's goal machines

The top of the table on the last day of the season

So here we were on the last day of the season, As reported 3 days ago, Wrexham had to win this game, against champions-elect Mansfield, to win promotion - a draw wouldn't be enough. Mansfield needed a point for the title. And if Wrexham lost or drew, then Rotherham (away to Port Vale) would need to win by 6 goals to overtake Palace and win promotion themselves.

It was a mid May Saturday and I was playing cricket - that's what I did every summer back then. We batted first, I was in a group of 3 or 4 players huddled round a car radio while our innings took place. I was probably at 9 or 10 in the order and we batted well so that at about 4:30, with about 20 minutes or so left to bat, I was suddenly required to do a spot of umpiring. I always found it hard to concentrate while standing in the middle and on this day it was impossible. At about 4:35 a roar went up from the car - I turned to look and saw 3 blokes jumping around - the bowler ran past me and bowled and I have no idea what happened next - but what had just occurred at the Racecourse was that Ernie Moss had given the Stags the lead to win the championship. That's how it stayed - 0-1 to Mansfield. As for Rotherham, they had a damn good go at it and won 4-1 at Vale Park to overtake Wrexham and finish 4th.

I don't usually buy other clubs' 1970's programmes but I wanted this one in case there were some pictures of the previous Wednesday's match v Palace. No such luck, of course. In fact, that game was barely mentioned.

No matter. We were up! And we won our game comfortably - 16 points in the bag!

And Palace haven't been in Division III since. Amazing really, seeing who has been at that level at times since then. And that in Palace's 56-year Football League career, up to that point, 41 years had been spent at that level, or below.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:35 am 
Post subject:

14 May 1951

Festival of Britain

Workington v Shamrock Rovers

This programme doesn’t turn up too often. It’s a 4 pager printed on poor quality paper. Pages 2 and 3 just have the team line ups and page 4 has a couple of lines on each of the Rovers players. The match ended in a 1 1 draw.

Workington joined the football league at the start of the next season.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:44 am 
Post subject:

14th May 2004

Could have gone for any number of Cup Finals today but have gone to the Austrian Erste Liga instead

Austria Lustenau v SV Worgl

garyspain

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:49 am 
Post subject:

The Irish League defeated the League of Ireland 1-0 in the only Inter-League game ever in Cork City.

Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:26 pm 
Post subject:

14th MAY 1987 - The first ever Play Off series in English Football History
The Play Offs. The format of 4 teams, 3rd placed Oldham. 4th placed Leeds and 5th placed Ipswich from Div 2 and 4th from bottom of Div 1 Charlton.
Leeds entertained Oldham Athletic in the 1st Leg at Elland Road, the game ended 1-0 to Leeds with Keith Edwards scoring the winner. The 2nd Leg scheduled for 17th May 1987.
The real drame was yet to come.......... to be continued.

Meanwhile Ipswich and Charlton played out a 0-0 draw at Portman Road
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:10 pm 
Post subject:

Footyfan wrote:
Keith Edwards scoring the winner.

Still see Keith, regularly, hobbling around, member of our local golf club
Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:58 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
Footyfan wrote:

Like Billy Sharp and Brian Deane at Leeds, Keith Edwards never reached the heights at Leeds that he achieved at his other clubs with just 6 goals in 38 games.
His scoring record over his career was quite impressive:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Edwards_(footballer,_born_1957)
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:27 pm 
Post subject:

Footyfan wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:
Footyfan wrote:

Like Billy Sharp and Brian Deane at Leeds, Keith Edwards never reached the heights at Leeds that he achieved at his other clubs with just 6 goals in 38 games.
His scoring record over his career was quite impressive:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Edwards_(footballer,_born_1957)

He was the greatest.....I know because he once told me Wink
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:38 pm 
Post subject:

Boro’s 4th game of their 1975 Australian tour took them to Wollongong for a game v Balgownie. Boro won 5-3.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
overlap

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 pm 
Post subject:

Chelsea v Benfica, 15 May, 2013, Europa League final in Amsterdam.

Chelsea won 2-1 with a late header from Ivanovic. The last game of Rafa Benitez' short spell at Chelsea.

It also meant that for 10 days CFC simultaneously held both of Europe's two top club trophies, having won the Champions League in 2012 and with the 2013 final not due - in London - until 25 May 2013.

I am not aware of that ever happening before or since.

Rocky

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:43 pm 
Post subject:

On 15th May 1951 another Festival Of Britain game was played at Ayresome Park, following on from the Middlesbrough v Partizan Belgrade game played three days earlier (which I forgot to post!). This one is an Amateur International between England and Norway and as can be seen the original owner of the programme was a little exuberant when using a punch. England won 2-1 and a member of the winning team was Bill Slater who had played for Blackpool in that years FA Cup Final.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:29 pm 
Post subject:

15th May 1982

Darlington's biggest crowd since 1969 see United clinch the old 4th Division title with a 2-0 win

An amazing day out.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 pm 
Post subject:

Very little to choose from on this date. So it another Glostershire Cup Final. Just over 6500 saw Rover lose 0-2.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: