Football Programmes Centre

Norman Hunter RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Norman Hunter RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:31 pm 
Post subject: Norman Hunter RIP

Very sad news today that Norman Hunter has succumbed to Covid 19 at the age of 76. An absolute legend at Leeds who played 540 league games there in their best times, winning medals and also 28 England caps which would have been more but for Bobby Moore's brilliance. Later moved to Bristol City and then Barnsley where he became player-manager.

In an England shirt

And I can't resist mentioning the "Norman Bites Yer Legs" era, epitomised by his horrendous lunge at Palace's John Craven after the midfielder turned striker scored twice at Selhurst Park. No obituary is complete without it.

But a gentle giant off the pitch and a truly nice man. He will be badly missed and warmly remembered everywhere.

RIP Norman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sir craven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:58 pm 
Post subject:

A sad loss.RIP
NinianHero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:58 pm 
Post subject:

Very sad.
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:50 pm 
Post subject:

He was a hard hard man....

Mind you Craven was no innocent....I saw him in his latter days at Argyle and one home game he almost broke a Hereford youngster in half....sent off and the home crowd booed him off the challenge was that bad....
Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:06 pm 
Post subject:

As a Leeds supporter through the Revie period Norman was my favourite player. I always thought he was under estimated but he received true recognition when he was awarded the inaugural PFA P;layers Player of the Year in 1974.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXQU88TSPuc

Norman was often derided for being "all left foot" but this was not true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20hUjWduJgU

Great player. Leeds legend - RIP Norman
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: