Football Programmes Centre

Peter Bonetti RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Peter Bonetti RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:56 pm 
Post subject: Peter Bonetti RIP

Terrific goalkeeper for Chelsea in the days when many keepers didn't wear gloves.

Played at the very highest level - the FIFA World Cup Finals.

Memorabilia featuring him was very keenly collected even in recent years.

RIP Peter
overlap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:07 pm 
Post subject:

A great player and a really nice guy too. Here he is in training with John Phillips, also sadly no longer with us, in 1973.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:14 pm 
Post subject:

There has been something doing the rounds on social media recently where you are asked to give the names of 5 players who made you fall in love with football. My earliest proper football memory is the 1970 FA Cup final. I was desperate for Chelsea to win and for a few months after when I played football with my brother in the garden whoever was in goals wanted to be Peter Bonetti. A true hero to me then and it has been good to read in some of the early tributes to him that he was a proper gentleman.

He would certainly be among my 5 players who made me fall in love with football.
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:16 pm 
Post subject: Bonetti

Why were you "desperate for Chelsea to win"?
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:27 pm 
Post subject:

I went to an infant school on the Solway Firth where there were less than 15 pupils in the whole school. We played 2 a side football at break and the other team had decided they were going to be Leeds. My team was Chelsea and at the time it was a big deal.

It was a few years later when I started going to Carlisle matches and haven’t had any interest in any other team since
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:31 pm 
Post subject: Bonetti

Fair enough.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:45 pm 
Post subject:

I wasn't desperate for Chelsea to win as Leeds were "dirty Leeds" but then Chelsea had Ron Harris & Eddie McCreadie. Football was the winner after the Old Trafford bloodbath.

Peter Bonetti was a top keeper for sure but who can forget the World Cup quarter final? Great man, brilliant for Chelsea, no doubt at all. RIP The Cat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
cfcmartin1965

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:57 pm 
Post subject:

Truly saddened to hear about the loss of Chelsea's greatest ever goalkeeper. He was my 1st Chelsea idol & who can ever forget his heroics against Leeds in both games of the 1970 FA Cup Final.
I only ever got to see him play in the flesh during the last couple of seasons of his career at The Bridge. He wasn't the tallest of keepers but was a superb shot stopper and was very agile hence 'The Cat' nickname.
My sincere condolences to his family & I hope Chelsea do something special to honour one of their greatest ever players.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: