Football Programmes Centre

A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:59 pm 
Post subject: A PROGRAMME ON THIS DAY - MAY

Hull City defeat Stoke City 3-0 in their final fixture but it is not enough to save The Tigers from Relegation:
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

1 May 1937

FA Cup Final. Preston v Sunderland

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:12 pm 
Post subject:

1 May 1937 (Cup Final day)

Carlisle Reserves v Throckley Colliery

An interesting article inside sets out financial rewards, or lack of them, for the players in the final. An earlier comment says that both Preston and Sunderland were refusing to wear numbers on the shirts.

Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:18 pm 
Post subject:

Monday 1st May 1961 - Bradford Park Avenue draw 2-2 with Accrington Stanley to clinch the 4th Promotion spot in Division 4:
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:07 pm 
Post subject:

1st May 1943

Manchester United 2 Sheffield United 0

Game should have played at Bramall Lane but the transport workers in Sheffield had gone all bolshy and were on strike, and the game was played at Maine Road

Last edited by sharrowblade on Fri May 01, 2020 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:35 pm 
Post subject:

1 May 1939

Workington v Annfield Plain (North Eastern League)

Last home match of a season where Workington were top of the League for a good part of it. They had hoped that a league title would help them with a bid for election to the league. In the last few matches of the season they were overtaken by South Shields.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:50 pm 
Post subject:

May 1st 1952
Fulham reissued the programme from March 29th when the original fixture had been postponed, overwriting the date on the front cover and including a s/s insert with amended line-ups.

Fulham 3 Derby 0 (att: 10,946)

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:01 pm 
Post subject:

1948 and Rovers season came to an end in a Gloucestershire Cup Final game at Ashton Gate with the dark side. 16000 witnessed a 2-1 win for The Pirates.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:09 pm 
Post subject:

Saturday 1st May 1948

Friendly match (the second of 4 friendly matches between these clubs, between 1935 and 1973)

Crystal Palace v Aberdeen

Result 3-0

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:36 pm 
Post subject:

1 May 1948

Another colourful Hull City cover:

Hull City 3 Carlisle 1 Attendance: 25123

Nothing to play for but a great attendance at Hull.

Ivor Broadis, future England international, was Carlisle player manager. Appointed in 1946 he eventually became the first manager to sell himself in January 1949 to Sunderland for the huge amount of £18,000.
Ivor died at his home near Carlisle in 2019 at the age of 96.

colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:07 pm 
Post subject:

Friday May 1st, 1953 - Lincoln City 3 - West Ham United 1

Originally scheduled for the next day but moved to the previous evening to avoid clashing with the FA Cup Final on TV - possibly the first match ever moved for this reason. Although the programme notes by the Lincoln manager note it as a disappointing season they still finished above Everton in the table and were level on points with West Ham

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:07 pm 
Post subject:

Good stuff lads...keep it up...loving the little snippets about the games
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:26 pm 
Post subject:

1 May 1965 FA Cup Final

Leeds v Liverpool. Revie v Shankly

Bit of content from May 1965 Charles Buchan cup final souvenir edition.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:17 am 
Post subject:

Saturday 2nd May 1959

Testimonial - for groundsman Charlie Catlett

Crystal Palace v Queen's Park Rangers

Result 2-1

Charlie in action

Of some interest is the QPR right half, George Petchey, signed for Palace 12 months later. The programme itself was a single-sheet job costing 2d. No idea how much Charlie made from this gala occasion, nor how much longer he held that position before handing his fork over to Len Chatterton.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:24 am 
Post subject:

2 May 1953

The “Matthews final.” One of the most iconic finals of all time.

Blackpool v Bolton Wanderers

I am sure you don’t need me to say the Blackpool came back from 3 - 1 down to win 4 - 3. An opening goal for Bolton meant that Nat Lofthouse scored in every round of the cup that year. Stan Mortensen scored the first FA Cup Final hat trick and Bill Perry scored the winner in injury time.

Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:22 am 
Post subject:

2 May 1959 - 10 man Forest defeat Luton Town 2-1 to win the FA Cup. Forest go 2 up in 14 mins then winger Roy Dwight (Elton John's uncle) scorer of the 1st goal suffers broken leg in the 33rd mimute.

Consolation for Luton captain Syd Owen,playing his final game, later to become Don Revie's Assistant at Leeds, who is named Footballer of the Year.

Last edited by Footyfan on Sat May 02, 2020 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:36 am 
Post subject:

2 May 1960 - With challengers Wolves and Spurs having completed their fixtures winning 4-1 and 5-1 respectively Burnley, with an inferior goal average to Wolves, go to Maine Road needing a win to secure the title.

The Clarets do the business witha 2-1 victory to clinch the title by 1 point from Runners Up Wolves.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:09 am 
Post subject:

West Ham “A” 1 Ipswich Town “A” 4 – Eastern Counties League, Played at the “Spotted Dog” Ground Clapton, 2nd May 1951

A very modest programme for a very modest fixture but a few interesting points:

All 11 Ipswich Town players and 9 of the West Ham line up had first team experience. The exceptions were Vic Niblett who never appeared for the West Ham first team in his one season at the club, he did however go on to be a regular at Gillingham. The other exception was the rather obscure “R Brown” – the initial suggesting amateur status. He did appear in the reserves but no further than that

Apart from that this was a remarkably busy week for West Ham. In the space of 10 days there were 9 programmes printed by Helliar & Sons for West Ham home games making this a notably difficult season to complete. Additionally, the first team visited Penzance for a friendly in this period

Also, on the same day West Ham sent a separate “A” team to Chelsea for another Eastern Counties League fixture, they lost 5-0, possibly a unique occurrence of the same club fielding separate teams in the same competition on the same day and being roundly beaten both times.

Programme is a typed sheet, shown below...

Chelsea “A” 5 West Ham “A” 0 – Eastern Counties League, Played at Stamford Bridge 2nd May 1951

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:03 pm 
Post subject:

Only ever going to be one programme I could feature on this date. A C**y win and they were promoted AND champions. A draw and they were up. A Rovers win and we were up and in with a chance of the title in the final game of the season. A 3-0 stuffing and Rovers went up and the look of their fans on the away end at Twerton as we celebrated has kept me going through the following (mainly) crap 30 following years. Did we win the title? You will have to wait a few days to find out.

The original programme from the 3rd of February.

And the 8 page wraparound added for the 2nd of May.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:24 pm 
Post subject:

pastpirate wrote:
Only ever going to be one programme I could feature on this date. A C**y win and they were promoted AND champions. A draw and they were up. A Rovers win and we were up and in with a chance of the title in the final game of the season. A 3-0 stuffing and Rovers went up and the look of their fans on the away end at Twerton as we celebrated has kept me going through the following (mainly) crap 30 following years. Did we win the title? You will have to wait a few days to find out.

The original programme from the 3rd of February.

And the 8 page wraparound added for the 2nd of May.

I don’t look at Facebook very often, but on today’s EFL newsfeed there are some photos from that match, including some of the fan celebrations
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: