Football Programmes Centre

Favourite programme covers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Favourite programme covers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:03 pm 
Post subject: Favourite programme covers

Thought it would be good for everyone to put photos of their favourite covers on the site. The programmes don’t need to be rare just have great covers so we can all enjoy them. I am starting with a couple of older issues but will add a few more later

The covers are a 33/4 Blackpool home and 1937 Bournemouth

Last edited by Carlisleprogs on Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:10 pm 
Post subject:

Ticks every box, for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:11 pm 
Post subject:

Great colourful cover from Bradford Park Avenue 1936/7
RoddyN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:33 pm 

Banbury Spencer 1946/47
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:51 pm 
Post subject:

Stadium photos are a favourite type of cover. Here is a good one from Southend 38/9. This one is v Ipswich who were in their first league season

Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:03 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:35 pm 
Post subject:

Workington v South Shields 1921.

LindsayH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:10 pm 

St Etienne v Rangers, European Cup, 1957
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:48 pm 
Post subject:

I am a great advocate of colour when a programme cover is concerned and I also have a Bradford Park Avenue programme v Manchester United from 1937-8 so there is no point in me uploading it as Carlisleprogs has already done it for 1936-7 and the covers were the same for both seasons.

Ingenuity is my reason to choose probably my favourite piece of artwork for a programme cover, yet it is so simple that whoever the artist was who worked on the Grimsby Town programmes of 1946-7 to 1949-50 they need to be applauded.

Grimsby Town being the "Mariners" and showing a boat casting it's net to include all the Fish as the other 20 competing clubs was as I have already said simple, obvious and quite brilliant!, so my favourite programme cover for such ingenuity goes to Grimsby Town first and foremost!.

Also the concertina type programme that Bradford Park Avenue adopted during 1946-7 when Manchester United visited in the FA Cup is a rival but the Grimsby gets my vote!.

I shall upload a few other covers also that I have always felt were really special as well later....

Season 1946-1947 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Grimsby Town v Manchester United League Division One Season 1947-1948 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

MU-530001 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:58 pm 
Post subject:

I know we have already had a Blackpool home from the mid 1930's, but I would like to choose this one too as it is a full programme for a Reserve match but in the Tangerine colours of the club-such a vibrant cover in times when that situation was certainly not evident in the early 1930's!.

Blackpool Reserves v Manchester United Reserves-Central League Season 1932-33 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Since Manchester United commenced at Old Trafford from October 1910 right up to the early 1930's the club's programme was always printed in Blue ink just like Manchester City?, but in 1931-2 the club started the season with a Brown coloured printed cover!!!-bloody awful! but vert "Art Deco" in design and that alone should be applauded.

Manchester United v Southampton-English League Division 2 1931-1932 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

However during the season the cover was changed to Red! and ever since it has had some Red or all Red in the covers over the years.

Manchester United v Plymouth Argyle League Division Two Season 1931-2 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:51 pm 
Post subject:

Great images Leslie.

For colour and design it’s hard to beat the 1932 England v Scotland issue. An all time great cover that stands the test of time.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:55 pm 
Post subject:

The next one has been sitting in a box for a few years without seeing the light of day. I am putting it on as it’s one of my favourite programmes and the cover is ok too

Stockport v New Brighton from 1924/5

Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
Great images Leslie.

For colour and design it’s hard to beat the 1932 England v Scotland issue. An all time great cover that stands the test of time.

Yes, a corking cover! I vaguely recall that a 1980's England v Scotland game at Wembley used an adapted/updated version of that
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:31 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Dorking

I think you are right about the later version of that cover.

I have put a few Palace covers together below. Hope you like them

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:00 pm 
Post subject:

No shortage of colour on 54/5 Port Vale v Bury

Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:12 pm 
Post subject:

What season is that first Palace one out of interest?
1919/20?
Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:19 pm 
Post subject:

The mid 1960s Middlesbrough cover. The game versus Leeds on 14 March 1964 was my 1st Away game and the Boro cover was a huge change to the bland B&W Leeds Utd Home issue from the early 1960s.

I remember the day for being extremely wet,. rained all day non stop, with many games called off or abandoned. The Boro pitch was an absolute 'gluepot' something you never see these days. The 1964 FA Cuo Semi Final at Hillsborough West Ham v Man Utd shows how bad it was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAHmJO9ZMcc

Last edited by Footyfan on Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:20 pm 
Post subject:

1920/1 v Gillingham. First season Gillingham I think.
Dated 5 March 1921
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:26 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

This one has always been a fascinating one for me, there are two versions, this one and the identical cover with Red line at the top, this was played midweek in Belguim where United met Austria Vienna-both were the current Champions of their League's to celebrate the anniversary of the Belgian Football Association.

Austria Vienna v Manchester United 1952 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

However, at the official Dinner for both clubs this was the official menu the players had on their tables, now THAT is great artwork and the programme should have looked like this, especially as it was produced by the same people??.

Austria Vienna v Man Utd 1952 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: