Football Programmes Centre

Ending Ebay Auctions Early (Discuss)
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ending Ebay Auctions Early (Discuss)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdy11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:41 pm 
Post subject: Ending Ebay Auctions Early (Discuss)

Whats everyones opinion on others asking for you to end an auction early for a reasonable offer? Whats everyones opinion.

Kind Regards
Chris
katesdad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:51 pm 
Post subject:

Personaly I would never do it. I always feel that if you have made the choice to go to auction then you should stick with it. Some times it may seem like a good deal and that it would pay off to finish an item early but 9 times out of 10 the person making the offer knows a little more than they let on. It takes two to make an auction. If you have a price in mind try the buy it now option.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:06 am 
Post subject:

My advice is don't do it. I would suggest that most of the time the buyer's offer is below what he/she believes is the full worth of the item and also feels they are highly likely to be either outbid or have to pay more by completing the auction.

As an example a couple of years ago I had a ticket for auction and was offered £40 to end auction early. I didn't really know its value but that offer seemed pretty good for a ticket. I was on the verge of accepting it when an offer of £100 came in. So I kept auction going and final sale price was £284.

Since then I have never contemplated ending an auction early. I would only do it if I had a true understanding of the value of the item and the offer was indeed the market value or very close. If in any doubt then let auction finish. Chances are the bidder will bid as much as their buy it now offer and a desirable item will always attract more than one serious bidder.
wdy11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:39 pm 
Post subject:

what about the other way round, would anyone ask anyone to end an auction early if they thought they would get the item cheaper?
Chris
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:29 pm 
Post subject: early finishes

Have only ever done it once, and that was just before Christmas when somebody I knew made an offer for a programme after I'd spoken to them on the phone and told him in passing, what I'd got on. He asked me what I thought I'd get for a particular programme as I had it on with a minimum bid of £30. Given it's condition I said I'd be more than happy were I to get £70 for it (it was a 1940's Scottish league programme) He then offered me the £70, but I repleid no, so he offered £100, which I again declined. A later phone call to me resulted in a final offer of £150. I accepted the offer as I thought there would be no way I would get that amount if I left it on, and I'm fairly well converant with Scottish prices of that era. Coupled with a cheque, it saved me ebay and paypal fees which would have amounted to about another £25. RESULT!
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:57 pm 
Post subject:

I know of one particular ebayer (no names mentioned) who claims to be a women & says my grandfather played in this match & scored the winning goal etc please please please end it early xx its the only programme i now need to complete my collection etc. Then 2 weeks later they put the programme back on in a different name claiming it to be in ''quite fabulous'' condition & at twice the price.
Their grandfather must be the only man on the planet to have played for England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea & Tottenham.
paulo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:23 pm 
Post subject:

I got asked to end a mobile phone auction early this week and I declined as I had 17 people watching it. In the end it went for way under what was offered, so I should have taken it.

Some you win, some you lose.
wdy11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:55 pm 
Post subject:

But the question is if you could save £hundreds by trying to get something cheaper would you try to get them to end the auction early.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:50 pm 
Post subject:

Did try it once but on a moped not a programme. The guy said no which was fair enough.
I don't think I would ask again though.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: