Football Programmes Centre

Manchester United v Wolverhampton Wanderers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manchester United v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:40 pm 
Post subject: Manchester United v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Well tomorrow will see United face Wolves for the 4th time this season and there is still a possibility they could be drawn against each other again if both get through their respective ties in the Europa League.

Wolves have just signed ANOTHER Portuguese player which must make 38!, that is not going to give much hope for anyone coming through the ranks there now is it, but it is working for them and they are enjoying great times at the moment, but as a good number of clubs now in the PL are looking at how to bring on their younger players, Manchester United has had at least one Youth player in EVERY consecutive league game since 1937!, so when United haters say they bought the title or bought success remember that they have paid out big at times as you have too, but always had the strong ethic of producing their own. In fact Wolves and United Youths met in the FA Youth Cup Final but that was way back in 1954.

Oh and we shall have are own little bit of Portugal starting tomorrow all being well and have had the greatest Portuguese player that has ever lived in CR7 who learned his trade at Manchester United.

ok so what's the relevance of all of this stuff in collecting terms, well the most expensive United programme versus Wolves was for the postponed First Division match in February 1958, we all know what happened.

Here is an image of it

Have a good week end unless u are supporting the Wolves Laughing

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:56 pm 
Post subject:

Ha ha a nice little retort/minirant at manu haters. TBH i never understand that "you bought it" insult (?) thrown at clubs. When looking at all clubs who have won the title mostly the team has been bought or heavily supplemented by quality buys. If/when liverpool win the title i doubt anyone will have stories of Salah or Mane running around as kids playing footie on the streets of toxteth. In fact pretty much every premier winning team has been built on transfers. Probably need to go back to 70s to find a team where the players had either come through the stiffs or had been bought in as young players. The reality is that buying players is the easy bit......making them a successful team requires a quality manager.
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:04 pm 
Post subject:

FWIW, Palace played Swindon SIX times during season 88/89:

Home and away in Football League Division 2
also home and away in a 2 legged League Cup early round (Round 2 IIRC?)
and also home and away in the Play Off Semi Final!
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:25 pm 
Post subject:

End of the maximum wage in the early sixties was the game changer, why bother moving to another club for no financial gain easier to stay put if you were earning the maximum possible, or some might say staying loyal to your club, back then most teams had local players coming through their reserves.
Times change and money rules all through the football pyramid, interesting thought back in the fifties in FA Cup ties when 1st division teams drew a 4th division team the difference in wages by today's standards would of been minimal, maybe the odd player on equal terms, guessing because I don't know.
I am not saying go back to a maximum wage but the game has moved from one extreme to the other in the space of 60 years.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: