Football Programmes Centre

A league fixure in June
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A league fixure in June

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wullie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:35 pm 
Post subject: A league fixure in June

I've just bought a New Brighton programme from the 1946/47 season. The programme notes state that this was the last game of the season and the date was 12th June. At first i thought this was a spelling mistake. I think Cup Finals were played at the end of April in this era. Does anyone have a later date than this, as an end of season game?
upthecounty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:15 am 
Post subject:

The winter of 46/47 was particularly bad and many if not the majority of teams finished their seasons in June 1947.My own team ( Newport County) last game of that season was away to Man City on 14th June 1947!
JohnC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:50 pm 
Post subject:

How much did you pay for it ? and who was it vs ?
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:22 pm 
Post subject:

I paid Shocked for it and it was v Rotherham . Actually i thought it was a fair price as i've seen them go for much more. Sorry i can't say just in case the wife is snopping lol
JJPROGRAMMES

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:58 am 
Post subject:

Fulham played at Millwall that season on the 14th of June which was a saturday so presume thats when the season ended, anybody now of a match after that date?
oldbolt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:22 pm 
Post subject:

It must have been quite mild in Bolton because they only had to play one league game after April 26.The final game was v Brentford on the 10 May.

The Brentford programme was in a bundle of 4 1946/47 homes that sold for just over £50 a few weeks ago.It was on a midweek night and I was gutted that a delayed train caused me to get home too late to bid for it.Someone got a bargain, another in the bundle was a Lancs Cup tie with Bury.
westyorksnffc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:03 pm 
Post subject:

Forest v Bradford Park Avenue was also played on 14/6/1947. Had a look through the records and can't find anoy other June games other than war-time league games at Grimsby on 8/6/1940 and Leicester on 2/6/1941.

Forest programme guide: www.nottinghamforestprogrammes.weebly.com (a steady working progress, any help or advice gratefully accepted!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm 
Post subject:

Everton home league programme 1947 ended 26 May (v Leeds) 4-1 win but only 21,001 attended (almost half the average attendance)

But Everton played Liverpool in the Liverpool Senior Cup on 14 June!

When Everton won the league in 1985 they had a couple of late fixtures to fulfil - at Coventry and Luton (26th and 28th May), sending out much weakened sides (International fixtures left them a little threadbare) and losing 4-1 and 2-0 - no doubt helping Coventry considerably to escape relegation by 1 point.

Last season's Cup Final (31 May) is the latest date in the season for a proper game Everton have played. 1st of August the earliest (Charity Shield 1987, also against Coventry)
bjm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:47 pm 
Post subject: 1946/7 Season

On 14 March 1947 at a joint conference of FA & League representatives it was decided to extend the season to 14 June. There were two reasons for this: the exceptionally bad weather during February and early March AND the ban on mid-week games. The reason given for the mid-week ban was because "no matches which attract crowds of spectators may be played in the middle of the week as that would encourage people to stay away from work"! With regard the big freeze, it was noted that some clubs suffered heavy finacial losses as a consequence: for example, West Ham spent £77 in travelling expenses to Newcastle, only to find "Match Cancelled" notices at the turnstiles. How times have changed!!!!
Senior82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:23 pm 
Post subject:

Just had a check and Sheffield Wednesday played Chesterfield on 7 June 1947 at Saltergate.
Wulfrunian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 pm 
Post subject:

Not a league game, but Wolves played Arsenal in the 1972/73 FA Cup 3rd place play off on 18 /8/73, 3 months after the final was played. I think this was enforced by the FA and basically ended up as a 73/74 pre season friendly for both teams, even though technically it was a game from the previous season.
I believe this play off lasted for 4 or 5r seasons, so there may be others like this

"You only have one life, I gave mine to the Wolves" - Stan Cullis 1916 - 2001
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:30 pm 
Post subject: June

Due to attrocious weather, and the bungling incompetence of the games admistrators, Auchinleck Talbot will be playing well into June this year. We've managed only 9 league games so far out of the regulation 22, and with midweek games not due to start until late April as floodlights, believe it or not, are not allowed there will be ample opportunity to watch top quality non league football in the summer. It happens most years. If anyone's interested in taking in a game let me know in advance so I can advise accordingly where and when anything's being played (w edon't have fixture lists, believe it or not, I kid you not!!!!!!!!!)
Senior82

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 am 
Post subject: Re: June

Auchinleckian wrote:
Due to attrocious weather, and the bungling incompetence of the games admistrators, Auchinleck Talbot will be playing well into June this year. We've managed only 9 league games so far out of the regulation 22, and with midweek games not due to start until late April as floodlights, believe it or not, are not allowed there will be ample opportunity to watch top quality non league football in the summer. It happens most years. If anyone's interested in taking in a game let me know in advance so I can advise accordingly where and when anything's being played (w edon't have fixture lists, believe it or not, I kid you not!!!!!!!!!)

Sounds like the amateur rugby league, we get fixtures a whopping two weeks in advance. Madness!
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:33 pm 
Post subject: summer footy

Hate to sound like one of the Monty Python "Four Yorkies" but a fortnight warning - luxury! We found out on Saturday night this week who we were playing next Saturday.
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:33 pm 
Post subject:

I have a Halifax v Lincoln programme from 46/47 dated 7th June, was either a re-arranged fixture or postphoned earlier in the season but i'm not sure,
KavJack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:08 pm 
Post subject: June League matches

The 1946/47 season was the only one where Football League matches were played in June. There were 19 games so played;
Two from Division 1 - both Sheffield United homes; 8 from Division 2; 8 from Division 3 North, and only 1 from Division 3 South (Cardiff City vs Leyton Orient)
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: