Football Programmes Centre

Football Wanted auction - Sheffield United bound volumes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Football Wanted auction - Sheffield United bound volumes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 pm 
Post subject:

nutfield priory wrote:
Dorking wrote:
Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Certainly not in Palace's case. Their owners think football started in 2010, when they emerged on their white chargers.

Suits me, and I suspect the other collectors of Palace stuff, as it would have been nigh on impossible to acquire some of the stuff I've got if I had been up against the club in auctions etc

CPFC talk about there one day being a museum at the ground when the new stand is built, but I have serious doubts.

Serious doubts - What are they going to put in it? I say it will be a non starter, anyway, they have got to build the new stand first to house it, however, there are serious doubts if the stand will ever be built

Exactly, it's all pie in the sky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:22 pm 
Post subject:

Do we know if each programme has its front cover, or have they been removed?

This could be significant
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:11 pm 
Post subject:

Baltimore wrote:
Do we know if each programme has its front cover, or have they been removed?

This could be significant

I have never seen any of our early bound volumes without covers for each programme and they will almost certainly have all the reserves in there too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
seand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:11 am 
Post subject:

Dare I say it, but would it be a worthy investment for a dealer (with time, patience and money) to split the lot and sell off, what, about 800 (or 1,500 if the reserves are there too) ex-bound volume issues? There's got to be something of interest for practically every heavy hitter for every other club in the league
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:31 am 
Post subject:

You could very well be right seand, especially as there should be twelve pre WW1 FAC semi finals in there, including Man Utd vs Newcastle 1908-09. The Victorian semi finals, of which there are 8 altogether would also fetch very decent sums.

The downside is the fact that the volumes would have to be professionally split to sell all the items individually, and the reserves programmes which have come from bound volumes previously have not sold that well, so doubt there's much of a bonus with them. The first team programmes would also be similarly affected. The semi finals come up that rarely I doubt their prices will be affected?
overlap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:41 am 
Post subject:

Out of interest does anyone know what the three missing seasons from the run of binders might be? Would it be the last three WW1 years?
bluejames

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:15 pm 
Post subject:

90% of the reserves might get a tenner eachquote="seand"]Dare I say it, but would it be a worthy investment for a dealer (with time, patience and money) to split the lot and sell off, what, about 800 (or 1,500 if the reserves are there too) ex-bound volume issues? There's got to be something of interest for practically every heavy hitter for every other club in the league[/quote]

I suspect not a lot of profit for a dealer.At a reserve,according to the auction house of £70k you have to pay another £15kish so it now stands you at about £85k

If you say you will struggle to sell 750 of them for £65 each,in the current market that will get you back possibly £50k.90% of the reserves might get you a tenner each and in total you will struggle to get £5k
That leaves you 50 choice programmes to get you you back £30,000
It is possible but that's to break even.I don't know how many folk that call themselves dealer,s have a loose £85k to take a chance.When i go to programme fairs these days, most of the dealers have a couple of grands worth of stock.So you will need 40 plus such dealers at that level to get together and presumably not tell their wives, or possibly somebody to remortgage their house to buy the programmes of a club who has predominately no serious collectors left who need much of those on offer, and then try to fight their way back over the next 5 years plus to get their money back
Where do you take them to sell them?The Gigg Lane fair,the Sheffield Xmas fair,St Stephens Hall every month for the next 10 years,the Accrington Stanley fair,the Wolves fair.You will be dead and broke or dead broke before you get a sniff of your money back.You can't even load them into Budds or Sportinggold or Sporting Memories.You would flood the market and get picked off .Not the greatest business idea i've heard but each to their own
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:57 pm 
Post subject:

bluejames wrote:
I am not sure what Mr Evans bought off Dennis Clarebrough but the auction house are saying this is his collection being sold by his family.

Not that it particularly matters....where they have come from...but I doubt very much these have come from Dennis, that makes no sense at all.
bluejames

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:19 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
bluejames wrote:
I am not sure what Mr Evans bought off Dennis Clarebrough but the auction house are saying this is his collection being sold by his family.

Not that it particularly matters....where they have come from...but I doubt very much these have come from Dennis, that makes no sense at all.

The story is that these originally belonged to Dennis who then sold them to Mr Evans who is now offering them for sale.The clue that they were Dennis's is in the binders where Dennis Clareborough is written.Have forum members got together yet to bid for these?
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:12 am 
Post subject:

[/quote]

The story is that these originally belonged to Dennis who then sold them to Mr Evans who is now offering them for sale.The clue that they were Dennis's is in the binders where Dennis Clareborough is written.Have forum members got together yet to bid for these?[/quote]

Ah...that makes more sense....so they don't belong to Dennis,... but used to.

I think your assumption on the estimate, value,t and the resulting sale or non sale as it might be is pretty much spot on.

You've put up some good points for this reasoning.

However, I'm a little surprised how you have managed to glean this knowledge from the auction house with regards to the source.
bluejames

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:20 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:

The story is that these originally belonged to Dennis who then sold them to Mr Evans who is now offering them for sale.The clue that they were Dennis's is in the binders where Dennis Clareborough is written.Have forum members got together yet to bid for these?[/quote]

Ah...that makes more sense....so they don't belong to Dennis,... but used to.

I think your assumption on the estimate, value,t and the resulting sale or non sale as it might be is pretty much spot on.

You've put up some good points for this reasoning.

However, I'm a little surprised how you have managed to glean this knowledge from the auction house with regards to the source.[/quote]

That's an easy one.I called them regarding some information on some significantly lesser items i am interested in and asked the question and they gave me the answer.QED
colchestersid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:17 am 
Post subject:

Hammer went down at £80,000
bluejames

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:47 am 
Post subject:

Unsold as predicted.The reserve was over £95,000.Clearly forum members failed to get a kitty together. Sad Sad
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:30 am 
Post subject:

bluejames wrote:
Unsold as predicted.The reserve was over £95,000.Clearly forum members failed to get a kitty together. Sad Sad

Although I'm not following the auction,..... how do you know the reserve was over £95,000
bluejames

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:56 am 
Post subject:

to be fair that is a tough question to answer.
When the auction house was advertising what was coming up before the catalogue was published this was pushed forward as a star item and an estimate was given.Then the catalogue was published and the estimate had risen.Out of curiousity i called the auction house for verification and they informed me that the vendor had decided to increase the asking price.Now i,like you,have no desire to buy these programmes, as they are way way out of our price league but i do like a bit of intrigue.It was not difficult to work out Sherlock Sherlock
grantham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:23 pm 
Post subject:

bluejames wrote:

We did, but we only got £79.999 Sad
mustard68

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:42 pm 
Post subject: sheff utd BV`s

I "watched" the auction this morning and it certainly seemed like a sale, opening at 67k and selling to the phone at 80 after a few bids in between.
bluejames

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:07 pm 
Post subject:

Well if you "watched it"and it shows as being sold i can only assume it was sold.Actually i don't care but is exciting to think that somebody has a loose £100k with add ons to so spend.I hope his wife doesn't find out
se20blue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

mustard68

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:05 pm 
Post subject: SHEFF UTD BV

Oh well. Apologies for the fake news. I must be going deaf as well as blind.
My wife actually said to me she thought it was cheap!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: