Football Programmes Centre

Press photo - old players' gathering c 1982
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Press photo - old players' gathering c 1982

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:59 pm 
Post subject: Press photo - old players' gathering c 1982

Nice one here, not sure exactly when or why this lot would be gathered together. We can identify 8 of the 12 but are stuck with 4 so are calling on you guys (if anyone's awake) to help, please.

I'll list them below as from 1 to 12, left to right.

1. ?
2. Mike England
3. Ian St John
4. Joe Mercer
5. Jackie Milburn
6. Bill Nicholson
7. ?
8. ?
9. Bobby Collins
10. Bobby Robson
11. ?
12. Ron Greenwood

So who are the 4 mystery men please?

No 8 looks so familiar and he's a lot younger than the others. Some of them look like maybe FA men or some other organisation, a sponsor maybe.

Anyway, see what you think, please. Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

Pete

Job to see with the photo being on the small size, however, my immediate thoughts for No1 was Denis Hill Wood Arsenal Chairman, not quite sure why.

No 11 I think is Stan Cullis

If you want to send me a scan of the photo, then hopefully I might come up with an answer for Nos 7 & 8
Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:49 pm 
Post subject:

Can't help with any identification but coincidentally all those players you listed were or had been managers. On blowing up the pic it would appear that Jackie Milburn and Bobby Collins were wearing identical ties with the elusive number 7 possibly wearing one too.

No help really, just proving I'm awake Smile

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:30 am 
Post subject:

Nutfield - someone on Twitter has also suggested No 11 = Stan Cullis. I'll email it over to you shortly.

Rocky - you are right about the three wearing the same tie. Possibly it's the Variety Club or some such?

Thanks both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
hibernian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:54 am 
Post subject:

Is number 8 possibly Martin Edwards, the ex Man U chairman ?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:44 pm 
Post subject: Press photo- old players’ gathering c 1982

Hibernian, I think Martin Edwards still had dark hair during that early 1980s era. The man at the back of Collins looks like he is going grey. He looks a bit like Geoff Strong, but he had no connections with football management and they all seem to have management links. Definately looks like Stan Cullis with the glasses far right.. They are all a very high level / status of former players and managers and in football circles very famous. With this in mind, I think the unidentified are not former players or managers or we would probably know them. FA members or Variety Club/ Water Rats , show biz charity , FA / League , Management Committee, something like that? Referees?
Newportonian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:53 pm 
Post subject:

No.7 I think is Mike Walker.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:42 am 
Post subject:

Thanks all.

No 1 is definitely Peter Hill-Wood, not his dad Dennis, and Peter was chairman of Arsenal from 1982 onwards.

No 11 is definitely Stan Cullis.

No 7 Mike Walker? Not sure about that, you may need a better view. Here goes with 7 & 8 enhanced.

Pie, you're right about Martin Edwards, No 8 is definitely not him. That tie is interesting, 3 of them are wearing it. May well be a charity or association. Mike England was probably Wales manager at the time. Ian St John was presenting Saint & Greavesie through the 80's but not sure when that started. "This is your Life" maybe but why would all of those been at one guy's This Is Your Life? Fascinating!
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:28 pm 
Post subject: Press photo - old players' gathering c 1982

Great photo Pete.

I recently sold a press photo that had Bill Nicholson, Ron Greenwood and Bobby Robson together from the same sort of era.
They were part of the group that selected the Young Player of the Month at the time and were presenting Tony Cottee with a Fiat car.
I'm wondering if the group of selectors included all of the guys in your photo now?

May just be a complete coincidence, but maybe not.

The plot thickens Sherlock
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:46 pm 
Post subject:

What about them being the "Pools Panel" of the time who selected the results of the postponed matches. Just a thought and No 11 is certain Stan Cullis.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: