Football Programmes Centre

would you pay £1000 for a programme
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
would you pay £1000 for a programme
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:15 pm 
Post subject: Third Lanark v Airdrie 8/8/1964 League Cup programme.

This Carlisle v Middlesbrough thread brings to mind the THIRD LANARK v AIRDRIE 8/8/1964 League Cup programme.
Apparently Mr Hiddleston had decided that no programmes were to be issued for the 1964/5 season as one of his "economy cuts". Hence the only copies in existence are a very very few printers copies which were stamped as such at the top although the stamp was very smudged.
His decision was then reversed and in 1964/5 Thirds issued for the majority of home games, thus leaving many current Thirds and first and last collectors to wonder why the Airdrie League cup issue is never seen. Obviously season 1965/6 and 1966/7 produced no Thirds home programmes.
From information gleaned over the years the Thirds v Airdrie 8/8/1964 League Cup issue is far far scarcer than the 1957/8 Manchester United v Wolves postponed issue as many more of these{Utd v Wolves} have come to light.
However because the postponed Man Utd issue is more topical prices realised for any available Man Utd v Wolves programmes fetch premium prices.
Obviously every club has its rarities for whatever reason but THIRD LANARK v AIRDRIE 8/8/1964 is a very real rarity in the last season of production.
In fact because of varying factors ,apart from 5 or 6 ,many 1964/5 last season of production Thirds homes are rarely seen due to low print runs .

Airdrie is another club noteably for 1960s home scarcities, notably 1964/5 v Kilmarnock {Championship season}+others.
All interesting stuff and it would be interesting to know of other "lesser light" rarities from other clubs.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:39 pm 
Post subject: Re: Third Lanark v Airdrie 8/8/1964 League Cup programme.

Leigh Treymaine wrote:
This Carlisle v Middlesbrough thread brings to mind THIRD LANARK v AIRDRIE
8/8/1964 League Cup programme. Apparently Mr Hiddleston had decided that no programmes were to be issued for the 1964/5 season as one of his "economy cuts". Hence the only copies in existence are a very very few printers copies which were stamped as such at the top although the stamp was very smudged.
His decision was then reversed and in 1964/5 Thirds issued for the majority of home games, thus leaving many current Thirds and first and last collectors to wonder why the Airdrie League cup issue is never seen. Obviously season 1965/6 and 1966/7 produced no Thirds home programmes.
From information gleaned over the years the Thirds v Airdrie 8/8/1964 League Cup issue is far far scarcer than the 1957/8 Manchester United v Wolves postponed issue as many more of these{Utd v Wolves} have come to light.
However because the postponed Man Utd issue is more topical prices realised for any available Man Utd v Wolves programmes fetch premium prices.
Obviously every club has its rarities for whatever reason but THIRD LANARK v AIRDRIE 8/8/1964 is a very real rarity in the last season of production.
In fact because of varying factors ,apart from 5 or 6 ,many 1964/5 last season of production Thirds homes are rarely seen due to low print runs .

Airdrie is another club noteably for 1960s home scarcities, notably 1964/5 v Kilmarnock {Championship season}+others.
All interesting stuff and it would be interesting to know of other "lesser light" rarities from other clubs.

Leigh, I think it goes a bit further than that as there has always been a bigger demand for Manchester United programmes and having once had 3 copies of that 1957-8 postponed home[when at that time there had been sightings of around 10-12 including the 3], some of them have been bought and sold a few times and to my knowledge there has not appeared to have been anymore than 18 individual copies that were "saved/nicked/removed as "souvenirs" from the lads told to burn the 25,000 copies.

So I think that less than 20 that have come to light out of the 25,000 that would have been in circulation at the time plus the demand because it is Manchester United kind of tells it's own story.

So if a copy of the item you have mentioned turned up-the more important question is what would it fetch? as who is out there looking TO PAYBIG BIG money-you or is there a band of folk who would be in line?, as that was the original question posed.

£6-7000 was a price at auction a few years back at Sporting Memories and one of those has been up for sale on ebay for over 12 months at a bit less than that, it is not about demand it is about the brass because generally the majority United collectors still will be looking for it I suspect.

Wave

As a footnote, I was offered a copy of that MU v Wolves PP once for a £100 in the 1980's, I told the seller I had one, so he said no you have not!, so we agreed to meet and the deal was if I had one I could have his for a tenner, that was how I got number 2!, I then swopped it for the Red Star Belgrade away which was then valued at £250-i thought I had done well! Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:46 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Would I spend £1k on a programme I needed? I'm down to 6 Scotland aways post war that I need and probably three of them would be that figure or more and with credit pretty cheap, I probably would and pay it off if needs be.

As has been pointed out, we perhaps don't give a £1,000 holiday too much thought, and once it's done, it's done with ultimately only memories to fall back on for the outlay. Spend that on a much longed for programme you will get years of enjoyment and then you'll be able to get some or all of it back if needs be, or maybe even a profit. It's a tangible investment.

That said, I'd like to do both if I could!

As has been pointed out, we perhaps don't give a £1,000 holiday too much thought, and once it's done, it's done with ultimately only memories to fall back on for the outlay. Spend that on a much longed for programme you will get years of enjoyment and then you'll be able to get some or all of it back if needs be, or maybe even a profit. It's a tangible investment.

A quite sensible and excellent point of view and one that i have held for many years, for me there is no other way to explain it[not justify it] explain it to others who may ask... Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Baltimore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:24 pm 
Post subject:

A £1000 purchase is likely to hold its value more than a 1000 x £1 purchases, or 500 x £2 purchases, so in a way it makes more sense!
Eck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:15 pm 
Post subject:

I bought a programme for £620 l sold it for £650.
I don't have £1,000 to spend right now but I have stuff I could sell (not football related) that l could raise £1,000 if it was for a very rare item l would do it.

My wife spends more than me week to week and she is fine with my mad missions.
I don't do alcohol or drugs and l don't smoke, I don't chase other women either so as long as i'm not enjoying myself she's perfectly happy.
Eck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:41 pm 
Post subject: Re: £1000 for a programme...

CHARTERHOUSE SPORTS wrote:
It's stupidity to pay £1k minimum for a single programme, but there are a couple of big hitters out there, especially when it comes to Manchester United. At the end of the day, your wife or kids throw them out when you pop off or sue you for half of them when they go into auction.
If that happens, I would ask what's the ****ing point of paying that for them in the first place.

A chair TV a bed a fridge a washing machine, don't spend anything else on your home, waste of time and money, you can't take it with you.
Don't buy green bananas. Very Happy
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:07 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
I bought a programme for £620 l sold it for £650.
I don't have £1,000 to spend right now but I have stuff I could sell (not football related) that l could raise £1,000 if it was for a very rare item l would do it.

My wife spends more than me week to week and she is fine with my mad missions.
I don't do alcohol or drugs and l don't smoke, I don't chase other women either so as long as i'm not enjoying myself she's perfectly happy.

You want to come to one of my parties Eck! Easy Easy Easy
foyle loyal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:30 pm 
Post subject:

for some reason i dont think id pay that for a programme but i wouldnt think twice about paying that for a ticket lol
GaryF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:39 pm 
Post subject: £1000 on a programme? Why not?

Personally, no, I wouldn't spend £1,000 on a programme, but I wouldn't criticize anybody else for doing so (especially when I think about all the money I've wasted on various stuff over the years.)

Whatever floats your boat: It's all about individual choice and what it's worth to that person.

If it makes you happy, and doesn't result in your partner & kids having nothing to eat at meal times, then why not, go for it.

I wouldn't be bothered by someone paying £1000 for a programme, especially if they were buying it from me!

Gary
Laughing
Zeb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:52 pm 
Post subject:

1927 Cup Final if I knew it was legit, have always loved the FA Cup and spent £100s on cup Final programmes in the past when I was renting out rooms in my first house but stopped around the 1931 but have kids now.
New Forest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:06 am 
Post subject:

Is the question 'would you pay £1000' for a programme misleading? Many collectors would probably be married with a mortgage and children and physically unable to commit that amount regardless whether they wanted it or not. If you were a Hedge Fund manager then cost is immaterial.

I am not a Chelsea supporter so do not have that pressure to own this away programme. I am also not that bothered about foreign away programmes in general. So to me this s a 99p programme, or I go without.

So why do some collectors value it at over £1000? Was it poorly attended, even so I should think a large number of Chelsea fans would have made to fairly easy trip. Was it postponed. So why?

One factor I can see would be that Chelsea collectors are lucky by having all their early programmes reproduced in bound volumes. I have in front of me the one for 1905-06. I know some copies have been broken as I have a one programme from 1911, clearly marked as such.
qosprogs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:34 am 
Post subject:

Would I pay over £1K for a programme? - a resounding YES. I have already paid over £900 for a programme because I believe it is the only one in existence( together with the fact that I bid £1000 for it on EBAY).

I have 3 wants lists for my collection - HOME: AWAY and HOLY GRAIL,

The programme in question was number 2 on the Holy Grail list. As for No 1, £1k plus is not a question for me

So is the hobby we keep

Regards
Qosprogs
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:37 pm 
Post subject:

What is on your Holy Grail list? Some QOTS issues have gone for very big money over the last 12 months or so. There seem to be some very determined collectors out there.
hibernian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:32 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="qosprogs"]Would I pay over £1K for a programme? - a resounding YES. I have already paid over £900 for a programme because I believe it is the only one in existence( together with the fact that I bid £1000 for it on EBAY).

I have 3 wants lists for my collection - HOME: AWAY and HOLY GRAIL,

The programme in question was number 2 on the Holy Grail list. As for No 1, £1k plus is not a question for me

So is the hobby we keep

Regards
Qosprogs[/quote

What season was that QOS ?
bluejames

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

This thread should now be changed to would you pay £5,500 for some programmes.At Bamford's today lot 45 sold for £4600 plus commision thus costing the buyer over £5500.
Some folk must have more money than sense and a wife that has no idea what they are doing.It was listed with an estimate of about 50 Sheffield United and 100 Sheffield Wednesday from the war to about 1950 with an add on of plus others.WTF could the others have been?i called them to ask them before the auction what was in the lot,and was told there were some Leeds United single sheets and also the Manchester United v Portsmouth postponed.
For £5500 for some programmes i assume that this buyer has been in the sun for too long.I don't think you would find many at that level
GaryF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:27 pm 
Post subject: What was £900?

Hiberian - Qosprogs - Can you tell us what the £900 programme was?
hibernian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:08 pm 
Post subject: Re: What was £900?

GaryF wrote:
Hiberian - Qosprogs - Can you tell us what the £900 programme was?

Well I know QOS v Celtic 46/7 went for around 1k about a year ago on eBay

I assume qosprogs is talking about the first ever issue which was pre war, but he will no doubt clarify

Ironically I used to have the first post war issue v Hibs Reserves 46/7 season.
GaryF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:15 pm 
Post subject:

...and how much was the Hibs reserves post war prog? And who were they playing? Celtic or QoS?
hibernian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:59 pm 
Post subject:

It was QOS v Hibs reserves. I swapped it for Scotland programmes in the 1954 and 1958 World Cup Finals. Thought it was a good deal at the time, but now I’m not so sure Very Happy
qosprogs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:14 am 
Post subject:

The programme was Inverness Caledonian v QOS Scottish Cup 1950. I believed at the time that, being a highland club, Inverness did not produce one but when it came up...……..you know the rest.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: