Football Programmes Centre

Which programme really excited you as a lad
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Which programme really excited you as a lad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaudog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:21 pm 
Post subject: Which programme really excited you as a lad

Just thinking of when I started collecting football programmes. I started with copies from Stoke City in the mid 50s and I rarely bought one but would beg one or find one after the game. As time went on my ambition was to collect a programme from each club, and so wrote to various clubs, or exchanged via football magazine adverts. The ones that really excited me were those belonging to Chelsea and Arsenal. They were a whole tanner, face value, and before the staples started to rust had a really expensive feel to them, thicker and weightier than most. And then the photographs and loads of interesting reading. It set you dreaming about the star players of the time. Strangely enough at the time i could reel off the usual starting eleven of each team, all with a British name, with very, very, few exceptions Happy days.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:31 pm 
Post subject:

The first one my dad gave me that he'd brought home for me, England v Hungary at Wembley, a world cup qualifier.

Must have read every page a dozen times and studied every bit of content - the adverts, the travel stuff, all the little bits about Wembley and what you could get from them via mail order.

It held a real fascination with me
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:12 am 
Post subject:

As I started collecting Palace home programmes from the day I first went aged 6 - 21.4.1962 - they were the small, square ones, mainly green & blue, with 4 players in action on the front, but for the start of the following season (and for the next 6 seasons) they would become small, square and white with no match details on the front. Though classy, it was damned boring.

And then I found out that all the clubs Palace played away also issued programmes, and they were all different. And that's when I fell in love with programmes. I have no idea which was my first away programme - but I loved them all.

Love
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:51 am 
Post subject:

I started collecting Leeds Utd Home games in the early 1960s but my favourite programme was my 1st away game at Middlesbrough on 14 March 1964. Leeds Utd Homes were bland black&white issues whereas the Boro programme was a colourful issue, Being my 1st away game I remember the day as clear as yesterday, the weather was atrocious it rained all day and I remember how difficult it was to keep the programme dry, unfolded etc, Many games were postponed and/or abandoned due to the weather on 14 March 1964. The Man Utd v West Ham FA Cup Semi Final was played on the same day in Yorkshire at Hillsborough on a gluepot of a pitch we no longer see these days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAHmJO9ZMcc

The limited fixtures played that day are listed here:
https://www.soccerbase.com/matches/results.sd?date=1964-03-14

Last edited by Footyfan on Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
cardiff55

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:38 pm 
Post subject:

Mainly when I started going to Cardiff games in 1968 and picking up the programmes, and then later getting away programmes.

But really between 1969 and 1973 I seem to remember going to my local John Menzies on the morning of the FA Cup Final and being able to buy the match day programmes, which as good in those days.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: