Football Programmes Centre

!969 FA Cup Semi Final re-arranged game programme.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
!969 FA Cup Semi Final re-arranged game programme.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Large

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:22 pm 
Post subject: !969 FA Cup Semi Final re-arranged game programme.

[img]

Hello all, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on this programme as I'm struggling to find reference to another one. I'm pretty sure it was for the re-arranged 1969 FA Cup Semi Final that was played a week later than it was supposed to. I can only find a programme for the original date and have read on here the tickets and programmes were re-used. Maybe it's some sort of pirate programme Any help and maybe guide on the value would be appreciated.

Thank you.[/img]
foxes1

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:58 pm 
Post subject:

I was at this game and there was only 1 programme produced. The one you have is a pirate programme you can usually tell by looking at the cover where it states 'Souvenir Programme'. proper ones normally have the word 'Official' on the front. As for its worth I don't know.
Frank Large

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:44 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you Foxes1.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:39 pm 
Post subject: Pirate Programmes

Definitely a Pirate issue. If you look closely, probably at the bottom of the back page it may state the issuer - there were several big players in the Pirate trade, including Victor, Tucketts. Starkey, Nicholls, Smiths - all London based.
At some big games there woud be 2/3 different Pirates on sale. There is a different Pirate issue for the WBA v Birmingham 1969 Semi-Final for sale on EBAY at £2.99.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEICESTER-V-WEST-BROMWICH-ALBION-FA-CUP-SEMI-FINAL-1969-PIRATE-BY-NICHOLLS/382964700581?hash=item592a7995a5:g:ussAAOSwGyZcUxa-
Some collectors consider Pirate issue as 'rubbish' others collect them.
It is very much personal choice, I have added Pirate issues to my collection as and when I come across them.
Rarely see Pirate issues in the UK now but it is a big industry in Europe with some European games having as many as 10+ Pirate issues, for example when Leeds Utd played Spartak Moscow in the UEFA Cup in December 1999 there were at least 8 Pirate issues on sale at the stadium.

Last edited by Footyfan on Sun May 26, 2019 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank Large

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:32 pm 
Post subject:

Footyfan, thank you very much for that reply.
Turin21041999

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:46 pm 
Post subject:

I may be wrong on the exact total but I believe that the most I have ever seen issued for a Manchester United match was the 26 different copies in the Ukraine for the Dynamo Kiev match in September 2000. The main seller had them all spread out on a blanket at the stadium during the afternoon. Even the A4 issue which is regarded as the 'official' programme was a pirate as the club didn't issue it!

I had a discussion recently on this forum regarding pirate programmes and whether you collect them or not is always your own personal choice. If pirates are actually on sale at the stadium or in the town of where you are playing I see no problem with them. This season Manchester United played five Champions League away games and only Young Boys in Switzerland produced an official programme. A pirate programme was available at Juventus, Valencia, PSG and Barcelona. Well produced in each case and a welcome souvenir in the absence of an official programme.
Frank Large

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:56 pm 
Post subject:

Turin21041999 wrote:
I may be wrong on the exact total but I believe that the most I have ever seen issued for a Manchester United match was the 26 different copies in the Ukraine for the Dynamo Kiev match in September 2000. The main seller had them all spread out on a blanket at the stadium during the afternoon. Even the A4 issue which is regarded as the 'official' programme was a pirate as the club didn't issue it!

I had a discussion recently on this forum regarding pirate programmes and whether you collect them or not is always your own personal choice. If pirates are actually on sale at the stadium or in the town of where you are playing I see no problem with them. This season Manchester United played five Champions League away games and only Young Boys in Switzerland produced an official programme. A pirate programme was available at Juventus, Valencia, PSG and Barcelona. Well produced in each case and a welcome souvenir in the absence of an official programme.

Obviously each to their own but I personally would see them as a good addition to a collection.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:28 pm 
Post subject:

Turin21041999 wrote:

Your more than likely correct re the 26 for one game and it is a matter of personal choice.

As a collector where the clubs are not interested but a private individual sorts out one or two or so versions, then it is great to have something especially in Europe these days.

Let's face it the Pirate was regarded by most collectors as something you would not even wipe your rear end with many moons ago, but I have always liked them despite the really horrible ones from the 1960's at Semi-Finals!

Today there is a demand in particular for anything Pre-War or pre-WW1 like the WH Smith editions for some Finals at the Crystal Palace-they hardly show up and will never rival the actual match cards but some will sell for £1000's for sure.

Over the years I have picked up some re MU for little but others cost a fortune, but that is how it is anyway, here is a link to some that I have found.. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjfvtCFz

The Lipphardt and the Biter "Sportprogramm" that were produced in Germany in the late 1950's to the mid 1970's are as good as the official ones for sure and now can reach quite incredible prices, some fetching 4 figures and I do not mean £19.99 Laughing

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: