Football Programmes Centre

Help wanted - Norwich v Bradford City FAC 1976
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Help wanted - Norwich v Bradford City FAC 1976

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazorblade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:53 am 
Post subject: Help wanted - Norwich v Bradford City FAC 1976

1975/6 FAC fourth round v Bradford City - the tie was supposed to take place on 14th February 1976 but the game was postponed due , I think, to a flu epidemic in the Bradford team. Was there a programme issued for this match?

I know the cup tie took place on Monday 23rd February and I have a copy of the programme dated for that day. BUT I have also been told that the game was actually postponed again before it eventually took place on 23rd February but I have no details of this - can anyone help throw some light on this second postponement?
When was the game originally scheduled to be played?
Why was it postponed a second time?
Was a separate programme issued for this second postponement ?

Any help appreciated
CanaryHonestMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:55 pm 
Post subject:

On Thursday, February 12 the FA agreed to the tie being postponed as Bradford said seven of their 15 full-time professionals were suffering from flu. However, it had to be played by the following Thursday. A bid by Bradford for the game to be played on Saturday, February 21 so that more of their supporters could travel was then turned down by the Football League. The match was provisionally arranged for Wednesday, February 18, but then (presumably after a further Bradford appeal, I assume) got put back to the following Monday - when Bradford pulled off a shock 2-1 win despite having about three chances in the game and very little of the ball!

Have never seen programmes dated either February 14 or 18 since there must have been enough notice to stop their production - although that's not to say that there might be a very odd printers' copy somewhere, given that I've got a programme for the original date of the postponed 1963 third-round tie at home to Blackpool. However, I have to say it's unlikely: other pre-1976 home postponed issues known to exist are few in number - Walsall 1956, Middlesbrough 1966 and Birmingham 1973 are perhaps the only ones.
amazorblade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:01 pm 
Post subject:

thanks
Clap
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:58 pm 
Post subject:

From the Bradford perspective. As far as the regular Bradford city collectors are concerned. there is no knowledge of any programmes existing other than for the date on which the match was played.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: