Football Programmes Centre

Andy Suttons Collection
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Andy Suttons Collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantham

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:24 am 
Post subject: Andy Suttons Collection

If you look at the top menu you will see Community and then Member collections, I filled out this survey 10 years ago, lets see how much has changed:

Name : Andy Sutton
Forum Nickname : Grantham
Started Collecting : 24 years ago (34 years ago)

About Me
What do you do for a living?
IT contractor, do software and hardware support also web develop for e-commerce and db driven sites (still the same)

Which club do you support and why?
Grantham, born and bred in the Town, both Grandad's supported them as does my Dad. That's how you pick your club (stopped going in December 2018)

What do you collect?
Grantham home and away (1st team only), also have a few thousand programmes which I trade with (still the same)

How did you get into programme collecting?
Basically bought a programme each game, didn't realise I was collecting until I checked just how few I was missing. Then in 1998 decided to fill-in the missing gaps and have continued from there.

Your Collection
What was your first football programme?
Probably a boring Beazer Homes League game during the 1986/87 season at London Road, Grantham

What was the last programme you bought?
Frickley v Grantham 1958 this week from Kavjack off the forum, (Ironically another programme from 1958, this time away at Gainsborough)
How big is your collection?
Hard to say really, but at least 2000 Grantham programmes and then about 10,000 programmes to trade with (but haven't done much for a while, until my new site is ready) Officially 3400 Grantham programmes, but around 100,000 general programmes in stock now, almost 50:50 split between league and non-league

How do you store your collection?
A4 ring binders, with plastic sheets and A4 card and paper detailing the match details Slight change, now use Modern bookbinders for the more valuable stuff and archive boxes for the bulk

Whats the oldest programme you own?
Would have to check when I get home, but 1946 ish (wanting to find something earlier, but struggling at the moment). I now have quite a lot of 1930's home and away programmes, some decent progress in 10 years

What is the rarest item in your collection?
Kidsgrove v Grantham from the 2007/08 season, only 6 produced (probably some of the 30's programmes now)

Which programme from your club is the rarest and most expensive to obtain?
Anything pre-1962 gets quite rare, although I did pick-up a large collection of 1950's thanks to my brother-in-law (A rare Chelsea friendly from the 1930's at Grantham went for £350 + fees, sadly I didnt bid) A couple of years ago

What is...?
What is your worst buy?

Don't think I've got any to be honest, still don't think I've had one

What is your best buy?
The above mentioned 1950's programmes, got about 60 at £2.00 each (probably my 2 Norwich City Reserve programmes from 1934, one at home one away, really pleased with them)

What is the most you have paid for a programme and which one?
Only about £20 I think, would spend more if the right programme came along (Blown this one out of the water, spent £480 on 3 1930's programme about 3 years ago. Although the most on a single programme was probably Grantham v Rufford 13-0 win in 1934, which works out about £200)

What is the most you have received for a programme and which one?
Not sure to be honest, don't generally sell rare programmes (sold a Forest v West Ham programme from 1955 for £244 back in December 2018)

What is your most prized programme?
Grantham v Middlesbrough 1974 FAC 3rd round, I personally got it signed by 7 of the squad a few years ago (in addition to that one which I have since added 2 more signatures too, probably the aforementioned Norwich City Reserve programmes and the Rufford Colliery FA Cup tie)

Whats your biggest regret in collecting?
None - Still not got one

The Hobby
In you opinion, is the programme collectors community shrinking or growing?
Growing on-line, shrinking everywhere else (certainly feels like it's shrinking, would agree with 29 year-old me, that it has certainly grown on-line)

What do you enjoy most about the hobby?

I think the stats of it all really, it's nice to complete a season, but also using the programmes as a resource for research (still the same to be honest)

Where do you buy most of your programmes from?
Struggle to buy generally, but ebay, dealers rarely and general auctions (ebay and auctions, although done a few private sales recently)

The Future
If money was no object, which programme would you most like to add to your collection?
Anything I haven't got from my Grantham collection, although I would like Wrexham v Grantham 1949 FA Cup, just generally want the bigger games in the clubs history to be a littler easier to find. But that isn't going to happen !! (Still looking for a decent copy of that one)

Would you ever sell your collection?
No, not a chance, I'm struggling to think of any reason other than family to sell my collection! If I need money I'll work, not sell my prized 1989 Evans Halshaw Cup final programme Smile (still the same)

How do you wish to develop your collection over the coming years?
I'll get to a point where I filter out poor condition programmes and replace them with better I think, it maybe easier than getting new programmes for my collection, although generally my collection is in good condition. (Have managed to do a certain amount of this upgrading, having purchased a lot of stock over the years, still slowly filling in the gaps)
seand

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

Cheers Andy, interesting to see an update! Maybe a few more people will update to breath a little life in the forum. I don't think I ever filled out the questionnaire, but I'll do it over the next few days.

Why did you stop going to Grantham in late 2018?
grantham

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 pm 
Post subject:

Really not happy with the way the club is being run, clueless Chairman who appointed a string of bad managers, just stopped enjoying going to games. Can't say I've missed it to be honest, despite the fact I've been going for 33 years. I completed the seasons programmes, and I'm undecided about what I'm doing next season, afterall they are crap (particularly the home issues, but the completeness in me says continue, despite the fact it's a waste of £100)
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:54 pm 
Post subject:

seand wrote:
Cheers Andy, interesting to see an update! Maybe a few more people will update to breath a little life in the forum. I don't think I ever filled out the questionnaire, but I'll do it over the next few days.

Agreed Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Benno Spire

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:44 pm 
Post subject:

Great read Grantham.
I just wish more could be done to encourage more collectors but the worry is the rule change where clubs don't have to print programmes.
Chesterfield being relegated into the national League also made me realise getting ticket stubs for games is getting hard work as many clubs are starting not to do them or have print at home versions, which in my opinion don't hold the same esteem.

If clubs made programmes smaller then that might help.

One thing I am introducing hopefully at Chesterfield is introducing the prediction league I run on Chesterfield fans forum Bobs Board(Idea pinched from this forum, Thanks SharrowBlade) which has 3 leagues of 16 players in each with promotion and relegation with 3 stages throughout the season with a sponsor identified providing prize money. I have spoken to Chesterfield CEO to arrange for him to allocate a full page in the match day programme for free to provide updates and reports on the Prediction League. All participants have said(even those who don't buy programmes) that they would buy the match day programme if this was included. Not big numbers but everything helps.
grantham

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm 
Post subject:

I think if clubs went back to basics with regards a programme people would buy them. You dont need a 3 page colour interview with a player, the programme should be simple.

I'm happy with the following: (from a non-league stand point)

Match details on cover
Teamsheet
Results/fixtures
player profiles for visitors
league table

8-12 pages and you are done, can quite easily knock it out at £1 a copy
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:42 pm 
Post subject:

STATS
Name : Jamie Howarth
Forum Nickname : Past Pirate
Started Collecting : 1973

ABOUT ME
What do you do for a living?
I work as a service engineer for British Gas (Good Company to work for when you support the team I do) (Still there)

Which club do you support and why?
Bristol Rovers. Initialy I am ashamed to say that I started of as a Bristol City fan. But after a couple of games at Ashton Gate my sisters boyfriend took me to Eastville to see Rovers. The atmosphere was so much friendlier there and there was no going back, I was a Pirate for life.

What do you collect?
Bristol Rovers home and away, one from each league side and about 200 non league. Plus anything else I come across that is anything to do with Rovers. (No change there)

How did you get into programme collecting?
I bought one from the first few games I attended. What really sparked my interest though was when my brother in law gave me his collection of about a hundred dating back to the fifties. All those weird old ones made me want to see as many as possible.

YOUR COLLECTION
What was your first football programme?
Probably one of the games at the S***pit (Ashton Gate) that I am still trying to forget about.

What was the last programme you bought?
Cowdenbeath v Bristol Rovers from July 2007. Bought from another member of this forum. (Leyton Orient v Rovers 7-2-1952)

How big is your collection?
Over 3,200 and still growing. (Approx 4,800. And yes, still growing)

How do you store your collection?
In official club binders on shelves in the backroom. (No change)

Whats the oldest programme you own?
3-1-1906. Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol Rovers, FA Cup 1st Round. (No change)

What is the rarest item in your collection?
Probably the one mentioned above. (No change)

Which programme from your club is the rarest and most expensive to obtain?
Apart from very old issues like above it has to be our last game at Eastville. 15-4-86 v Chesterfield. I have seen it go for prices ranging from £45 up to over £100. (Either that one or Man U at home. A friendly from 30-1-1954)

WHAT IS...?
What is your worst buy?
Can't think of anything really. Apart from when I used to buy 50 odd progs from ads in the local paper just to find that I only needed 3 or 4 of them. (Learnt from that and check before I buy now)

What is your best buy?
Has to be the 1906 one. (Yep)

What is the most you have paid for a programme and which one?
The 1906 again, it cost £78 which I was very happy with. I had put a maximum bid in of £300. (No change)

What is the most you have received for a programme and which one?
I got £70 for a Cup Final prog a few years back. Can't remenber which one it was but Leicester were in it (50's or 60's I think).

What is your most prized programme?
Will let you guess that one but it's over 100 years old! haha (Guess again lol)

Whats your biggest regret in collecting?
I don't have enough money to buy all the ones I see for sale. (10 years later and still skint, sad eh!)

THE HOBBY
In you opinion, is the programme collectors community shrinking or growing?
A year ago I would have said shrinking. But this site is beginning to make me change my mind. (Shame as I now have to admit it's shrinking)

What do you enjoy most about the hobby?
That wonderful sound of a package dropping through the letterbox. (I don't think this one will ever change)

Where do you buy most of your programmes from?
It used to be at each game and ebay. Recently though ebay has been pushed into 3rd place by a little place called "Football Programme Centre" (ever heard of it)? lol. (Snap)

THE FUTURE
If money was no object, which programme would you most like to add to your collection?
The first programme that Rovers ever issued. All I need to do is save a lot of dosh and then find out what game that actually was. (Not found out what this issue is yes but still trying)

Would you ever sell your collection?
Not in a million years. (<<<<This)

How do you wish to develop your collection over the coming years?
Simple really. I just want to keep adding Rovers programmes to the shelves in the back room. (Too old old to change now)

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: