Football Programmes Centre

Huddersfield 'in memoriam' card - help needed!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Huddersfield 'in memoriam' card - help needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:29 pm 
Post subject: Huddersfield 'in memoriam' card - help needed!

I have this memoriam card but I don't know much about it. Can anyone help?
martino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:38 pm 
Post subject:

It is not a subject I know a lot about but I do know that back in the early 1900's Football Clubs issued "in memorium" cards to celebrate a victory and mock the losing club.

I know that they are highly collectable and I am sure some members have some examples in their collection.
holtie96

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:54 pm 
Post subject: Card was

My example
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:22 pm 
Post subject: huddersfield

That's interesting holtie Smile
holtie96

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:54 pm 
Post subject: Card

My other offering Clapton orient v Swindon
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:17 pm 
Post subject: Re: Huddersfield 'in memoriam' card - help needed!

TheSorter! wrote:
I have this memoriam card but I don't know much about it. Can anyone help?
I have a similar one on my website...

https://huddersfieldtowncollection.wordpress.com/virtual-museum-the-1910s/

Would you like to sell yours?

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:58 am 
Post subject:

A few In Memoriam Cards that I have that besides Manchester United involve Fulham, Burnley, Swindon Town[quite likely], Reading, Weymouth Town, Southend United, Portsmouth, Brentford, Swansea, Bristol City & Cardiff City.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcvoYPt

If anyone has any others I would be interested to see them for sure.

I do not think that these In Memoriam cards were produced by clubs themselves, as although it was regarded as mere fun way way back then, if an actual club produced it to mock another they have knocked out of the Cup then that would have been deemed as disrespectful in an age when that sort of thing was very important indeed, in my umble opinion, more likely to have been an independant person printing and flogging them to earn a few bob.

This is perhaps better illustrated from season 1936-7 when United who were rubbish[like now] and Manchester City were the top dogs[even more so like now Laughing ] where a printer produced a card for the Manchester Derby in 1936-7[City won the League and United went down] where Eric Brook was City's finest player so this sarcastic card was produced, United beat City in the Derby.

Also, the season prior in 1935-6 United won the 2nd Division Championship and this card was produced to be sold to United supporters, again mocking anyone and everything, but "all good fun" although no doubt some would not accept it in the spirit it was intended for.

Now this could never happen in this day and age of the Mega Billions but in 1936-7 City won the First Division Title and in 1937-8 they were relegated!. No other club in footballing history since then has managed to emulate that and the liklehood that it can happen now is as remote as what?, Pep not getting paid twice! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh and the season City went down United went back to the First Division as Runners Up! This period was known as the "YoYo" years!
https://flic.kr/p/6kHp9T

https://flic.kr/p/iKYw1R
https://flic.kr/p/iFFexj

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: