Football Programmes Centre

Sports Programmes Offers List
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sports Programmes Offers List
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:16 pm 
Post subject: Sports Programmes Offers List

I'm not sure if they still print and post their offers catalogue but I love the randomness of the way all the listings are mixed up together. From this month....

5874. WOLVES auto on album page Tom Galley min £4

5875. A.VILLA v Everton 1897 Cup Final at The Old Crystal Palace very slcell & small piece miss off edge, otherwise good. Min £10,000

5876. BARNET v Torquay 71-2 FAC sotp min £3
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:25 pm 
Post subject:

Who remembers these coming through the post on Thursday mornings as rolled up tubes?! Very Happy

hulldon

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:45 pm 
Post subject:

Mine arrived through the post yesterday.... always put in a few offers and Roy and Joy are always great to deal with. A great throwback to the olden days of collecting... and you can still get a few bargains!!
goonerboy

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:22 am 
Post subject:

The randomness is indeed still there and totally off-putting. Life is too short to look through 30 pages to find one or two items of interest. The catalogue is set out for their convenience rather than customers. Same with a couple of other dealers catalogues. As a customer i want to find items of interest easily and not have to leaf through page after page of irrelevant material and why waste people's time by putting standard 70s/80s/90s/00s programmes on an offers list. Not for me. This is the 21st century.
hulldon

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:54 am 
Post subject:

To be fair to Roy and Joy, the catalogue is online too, and searchable electronically too - which I often do as well. Www.sportsprogrammes.net if I remember correctly...
bluejames

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:10 am 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
The randomness is indeed still there and totally off-putting. Life is too short to look through 30 pages to find one or two items of interest. The catalogue is set out for their convenience rather than customers. Same with a couple of other dealers catalogues. As a customer i want to find items of interest easily and not have to leaf through page after page of irrelevant material and why waste people's time by putting standard 70s/80s/90s/00s programmes on an offers list. Not for me. This is the 21st century.

To be fair they have been doing this for a very long time and prior to this i have never heard a negative comment of any level, about the doyens of this hobby.I suppose if it is not your cup of tea then neither take the catalogue or go online.
Of the last few programme fairs i have attended i have found a lot of random boxes stuffed with mostly crap with signs that often say things like 50p each or 3 for £1.I just walk straight past them as i haven't got all day to forage through a pile of junk either.That's probably why programme fairs are generally considered to be on the last legs.
My final comment is to ask why anybody would want to hold on to Sports Programmes Offers lists from 50 years ago.They must start smelling after this long
se20blue

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:52 pm 
Post subject:

To be fair they have been doing this for a very long time and prior to this i have never heard a negative comment of any level, about the doyens of this hobby.I suppose if it is not your cup of tea then neither take the catalogue or go online.

Online you are able to search just what you want.

Of the last few programme fairs i have attended i have found a lot of random boxes stuffed with mostly crap with signs that often say things like 50p each or 3 for £1.I just walk straight past them as i haven't got all day to forage through a pile of junk either.That's probably why programme fairs are generally considered to be on the last legs.

One persons junk is on another persons wants list.The increase in the number of programme fairs recently counters your comment.

My final comment is to ask why anybody would want to hold on to Sports Programmes Offers lists from 50 years ago.They must start smelling after this long

Funny comment. Do your 50 year old programmes start to smell ?
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:19 pm 
Post subject:

se20blue wrote:
Do your 50 year old programmes start to smell ?[

The catalogues may start to smell in 10 years time on their 50th birthday.... Laughing Laughing
se20blue

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:24 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:
se20blue wrote:
Do your 50 year old programmes start to smell ?[

The catalogues may start to smell in 10 years time on their 50th birthday.... Laughing Laughing

My comment was in reply to bluejames
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:04 pm 
Post subject:

I would just like to make a comment or two if I may, the poster who condemned the programme fairs to the other poster who defends them and states rightly that there are more and more happening, HOWEVER the days when a programme fair had anything from 6 to 15 stalls who only sold programmes in the main has disappeared for 100% certain.

"Back in the day" re the 1960-90's you may find an odd stall with a small Oxo tin with a few badges, now badge stalls are as prominent at every fair you go too and take up a lot of space bringing masses of stock because there are masses of collectors out there, also tickets were never as popular, but now they are a massive part of the hobby as collectors at all levels look to broaden their outlook. What dealer in their right mind had time to spend years ago taking press photos, newspapers, menu's and and and now these are the items that are in big demand of course, I always thought in most cases the more things change the more they stay the same but in our hobby that is not quite the case blame the internet for bringing the World to your PC/Laptop/Tablet/Mobile in an instant-wonderful!

Times and trading methods have changed as I have just mentioned, there was no internet when the hobby was at it's peak programme wise, there was no ebay, there was of course a monopoly by dealers who could describe programmes and charge what they wanted and when I was a kid in the 1960's, I would send off a 2 shillings and sixpence postal order to buy say a Swindon Town Home from the 1950's but receive one from Grimsby Town and no message why, my money was effectively taken and if by the time my postal order arrived the original item had gone I was sent what someone else wanted, well I never went back to that twat for sure ever again!, Fraser Programmes in London in the 1960's.

Now I come onto the long winded catalogues, yes it was great many moons ago and the times I was late for work as it arrived when I was just leaving!, or I stayed until it arrived! I can remember seeing Tony Stanford Roy's partner in their shop in Digbeth in Birmingham and later at Tony's office in Coventry, with Pre-War Finals all laid out for what would be considered buttons in today's prices.

Yes, it is a long winded effort scanning 94 pages on Sports and checking on line can miss stuff as the abbreviations to spelling may change like Man U, Man United, Manchester U, Manchester United so you had to go through each item and scan with your eye quickly.

Other dealers who issue mammoth lists have made it slightly easier by highlighting the quality items in Bold print so if you are looking to scan up to 50+ odd pages or more it helps a lot.

Sports is an institution in the Hobby and they have resisted to sell online for a wider audience, but they will have customers all over the world, so who is right and who is not.

From a collectors view who needs quite a bit of stuff these types of catalogues are fantastic and I also like the fact they are not sterile as your team can pop up again in 10, 30 or more pages time with a ton of older stuff, like some auctioneers leave a few choice items towards the back of the sale to keep some folk still in the room and interested.

Oh and regarding the smell-I love it-the older the better, but I can think of one or two other things that I have preferred to sniff over the years! Laughing
Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Sun May 05, 2019 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

Regarding searching specifically for what you are looking for, I think that was the beauty of the Sports catalogue for me. I’ll add it was a long time ago I left the UK and I gave up this hobby for a long time before getting back into it, but back then I received the catalogue regularly.

Yes, I looked for items I needed first but I read through the catalogue for interest and often bought items outside of my main arena. Items I wouldn’t have bought or specifically have looked for otherwise.

Between Programme Monthly, Sports and Steve Earl, I can say they brought me a lot of pleasure back then.
bluejames

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:22 pm 
Post subject:

And pleasure and nostalgia is what it is all about.Reading through the answers and the experience provided by Manchesterunitedman1 he sums the hobby up perfectly.It is each collector to his own choices.
To answer the question of do my programmes from 50 years ago smell?
The answer is that i don't have any programmes from that era.As a relatively new collector i quickly learned from this forum, that most programmes from the 1960's onwards have minimal if any value.As such anything from 60 years old forwards are not in my collecting capsule.
I have no idea exactly what value,in either information or collecting value Sports Programmes from 50 years ago have but if somebody wants to collect them, that of course is that persons decision.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:58 am 
Post subject:

I have had this photograph for maybe 40 odd years, never been able to date it but it must be around 1976 to 1979.

It shows the International Programme Fair in London that was run by the Legendary David Stacey.

I am to the right with a fine head of hair, tash and plastic bag-still got the bag and the tash but sadly not as much of the Barnet!.

I do not know the actual numbers that used to go but it must have been well into the 1000++, I was not the first in the que that day and the it stretched all around the corner-those were the "Golden & Happy days" of collecting because there was so much mystery involved, you never knew who was bringing what until the day and no one would tell you anyway-hardly!.

But as I said we move on, the prices have increased quite naturally and today the power is in the hands of the buyer now, well we all have a bitch about ebay but without it...…

Anyone recognise themselves on here at all, gotta be someone who is still around in the Hobby hopefully!

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
se20blue

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:10 am 
Post subject:

Can only be 1975 as Saturday 12th June was 1976.
sir craven

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:11 am 
Post subject:

is the new catalogue online yet? i keep getting catalogue number 3 when i log on.
Stourbridge Lion

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:38 am 
Post subject:

Jim LFC

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:53 am 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
I have had this photograph for maybe 40 odd years, never been able to date it but it must be around 1976 to 1979.

It shows the International Programme Fair in London that was run by the Legendary David Stacey.

I am to the right with a fine head of hair, tash and plastic bag-still got the bag and the tash but sadly not as much of the Barnet!.

I do not know the actual numbers that used to go but it must have been well into the 1000++, I was not the first in the que that day and the it stretched all around the corner-those were the "Golden & Happy days" of collecting because there was so much mystery involved, you never knew who was bringing what until the day and no one would tell you anyway-hardly!.

But as I said we move on, the prices have increased quite naturally and today the power is in the hands of the buyer now, well we all have a bitch about ebay but without it...…

Anyone recognise themselves on here at all, gotta be someone who is still around in the Hobby hopefully!

Wave

I went to the event in 1976 but I remember it as the 29th of May, simply because everyone was watching the highlights of the England v Italy in the USA before the event Smile
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:20 am 
Post subject:

bluejames wrote:

I have no idea exactly what value,in either information or collecting value Sports Programmes from 50 years ago have but if somebody wants to collect them, that of course is that persons decision.

I don't actually collect FORTY year old catalogues that may one day develop an odour. I just have them at the bottom of a box which I thought I would share with the forum. If anyone wants to add them to their collection (free of charge) drop me a PM
Smile Wave
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:00 pm 
Post subject:

se20blue wrote:
Can only be 1975 as Saturday 12th June was 1976.

Oh well fair enough-thanks nearly 44 years ago!

Is there just me on this forum who was around in the hobby then?, surely gotta be a few more, does no one recognise anyone in the photo?.

Wave

TheSorter!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:29 pm 
Post subject: sports programmes offers

Has anybody got a copy of Sports Programmes latest offers list they could email to me? Smile
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: