Football Programmes Centre

Bootham Crescent: A Second Home - now published
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bootham Crescent: A Second Home - now published

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:19 pm 
Post subject: Bootham Crescent: A Second Home - now published

After almost four years of researching and writing, the first part of my two book homage to York City FC and the club's famous old ground of 87 years is now published.

The book is A4 format, consisting of around 280 pages, and with over 240 rare images, news cutings, and items of memorabilia including the wonderful cover shot taken in 1934 of the original entrance gates to the club car park.

Part one covers the period up to 1960, with the second part taking the story to the current day, to be published early next year after the club has moved to the new Community Stadium

York City FC and Bootham Crescent have been intrinsically linked since 1932, the year in which the club vacated its previous ground at Fulfordgate. The move was completed in only a few months over the summer, which is a story in itself, yet there are many other tales to tell.

The circumstances behind the club’s formation, the time spent at Fulfordgate, and how Bootham Crescent became City’s home are all covered in great detail, as are the years for the ground before City’s tenure. The book describes how the club struggled through the 1930s, yet then came through the war years in a much stronger state, enabling the ground to be bought. The surprising residency of baseball in 1937 gets its own chapter, as does the logistics of packing the ground during the cup runs of 1938 and 1955. All the ground changes are captured in rich detail, and provide a fascinating insight of bygone days, and the wider events which impacted on York City’s fortunes.

From ticket pricing to cup-tie allocations, turnstiles to floodlights, dugouts to disciplinary notices, canine pitch invasions to five-minute flags, the glass bridge,finances, contracts, rent levels and leases, crowd disorder, it's all here and so much more. There are many fascinating details that have perhaps never previously come to light.

There is also a chapter which reflects on the brief history of the first York City club that existed between 1908 – 1917 which, ironically, also had two grounds.

Of course, programme covers feature prominently, and there is a section of the appendices which features a one-per-season cover image of a typical programme.

For many supporters, as with the club, Bootham Crescent has indeed been a second home, and the book reflects this. It strives to be a worthy edition to the York City bookshelf.

The book costs £25 plus postage and can be bought via the following link:
http://www.ypdbooks.com/sport/1952-bootham-crescent-a-second-home-YPD02131.html

For other payment methods, kindly drop me a line at [email protected] and I will send details.

It can also be bought at the club shop and at my local independant bookshop, White Rose Books in Thirsk if you happen to be holidaying in these parts.

Thanks for your support
Paul Bowser

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: