Football Programmes Centre

The Days Of The 10p Programme Are Nigh!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Days Of The 10p Programme Are Nigh!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:50 am 
Post subject: The Days Of The 10p Programme Are Nigh!

Interesting article here from a 1971 Football League Review warning that the 10p programme would soon be with us . Sorry it’s not very legible, these iPads are not that good for reproducing articles, the general point is that 10p is a bit steep. Mind you , in those days you could have a weekend in Blackpool for £2 -50p and still have enough money left for fish and chips on the way home
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:45 pm 
Post subject:

I remember having a rant in Programme Monthly about the price of programmes reaching £1 following my teams matches at York and Chelsea in the mid 80's. I argued that aside from ripping the supporters off, it would discourage the young collectors, the lifeblood of our hobby...... Neutral

The irony today is that most of the 10p programmes from the 70's and the £1 issues from the 80's are struggling to sell for their original proce! Sad

Last edited by Jim LFC on Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:45 pm 

Jim, l see the article names and shames the culprits who had already introduced a 10p programme,, Bournemouth and Hull. Swines Laughing

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

Tonight's Spurs Palace issue at £10 is 100 times more than the previously dreaded rise to 10 pence !!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:53 pm 

Slightfold, £10!!!, in 1971 you could tell your missus you were off to watch Tranmere at some faraway place ( Barrow) make a detour to St Tropez, take Brigette Bardot for a shandy, arrive back home on Monday morning and still have enough money left for fish and 🍟.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:17 pm 
Post subject: Re: The Days Of The 10p Programme Are Nigh!

Flaming Pie wrote:
Slightfold, £10!!!, in 1971 you could tell your missus you were off to watch Tranmere at some faraway place ( Barrow) make a detour to St Tropez, take Brigette Bardot for a shandy, arrive back home on Monday morning and still have enough money left for fish and 🍟.

Tell kids that today and they won't believe you (with apologies to Monty Python, The Four Yorkies)
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:44 pm 
Post subject:

Wasn't it Luton Town that were the first to charge £1.00, sometime around 1986?
overlap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:23 am 
Post subject:

Coventry City were the first to charge 10p for a programme, in 1970, when they "doubled the cover price to two shillings".

Fascinating article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/28/coventry-city-matchday-programmes-design-art

Last edited by overlap on Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
bluejames

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:54 am 
Post subject:

slightfold wrote:
Tonight's Spurs Palace issue at £10 is 100 times more than the previously dreaded rise to 10 pence !!

Ebay awash with this programme at £16 + £2.50 postage and selling like hot cakes.Some folk have more money that sense.They must have printed a huge number with the ability, because of todays technology, to print a huge number more if required.They will soon end up at programme fairs with dealers who enjoy taking half a ton of paper with them in the unsold pile along with modern cup finals and semi finals and the like which are unsellable at any price
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: