Football Programmes Centre

REPRINTS - HOW COMMON?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
REPRINTS - HOW COMMON?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:13 am 
Post subject:

Accrington Stanley's first ever home issue was reprinted (not that it would pass off as an original).

86/7 Sheffield Utd v Derby included a reprint of the Blades' first ever programme?

There's also a reprint of 76/7 AEK Athens v Derby (UEFA). 4 pages on very flimsy paper, as was the original.

And original copy of that fetched a very nice price back in August last year.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:46 pm 
Post subject:

I have a few old Derby County issues printed on glossy paper rather than the normal thin paper:

1952/53 Chelsea FA Cup
1963/64 Manchester City
1963/64 Charlton Athletic

Can't imagine these are REPRINTS. Did Derby print on glossy paper for any special reason?

Plus I have a 1964/65 Manchester City dated 23 Jan 65 but overstamped 30 Jan 65, Records show that the 23 Jan gane was postponed and a new programme issued for the following week, The 23rd Jan issue does not have the tribute to Winston Churchill piece,

Last edited by Footyfan on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:54 pm 
Post subject: REPRINTS - HOW COMMON

Footyfan wrote:
I have a few old Derby County issues printed on glossy paper rather than the normal thin paper:

1952/53 Chelsea FA Cup
1963/64 Manchester City

Can't imagine these are REPRINTS. Did Derby print on glossy paper for any special reason?

Plus I have a 1964/65 Manchester City dated 23 Jan 65 but overstamped 30 Jan 65, Records show that the 23 Jan gane was postponed and a new programme issued for the following week, The 23rd Han issue does not have the tribute to Winston Churchill piece,

1964/1965 Derby County v Manchester City, programme wise, was a bit of a mixture as you have pointed out. The one for 23 January was a postponed issue, as you have said some were overstamped so they could be reused the week after when the game was played. A new programme was issued for the 30th as well, mine is a glossy issue and I was advised at the time it was a directors vip issue----perhaps the keen guys for Derby will be able to confirm----if it is not (a vip issue) I have been conned Get My Coat

There is one way of telling the difference between the two dates--the referees. As the referees are usually given their appointments in 4 week clusters, the referee for the 23rd was already booked for the 30th and a different referee took the match----DWG Brady (for the 23rd) and HP Hackney for the 30th.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 pm 
Post subject: Re: REPRINTS - HOW COMMON

1964/1965 Derby County v Manchester City, programme wise, was a bit of a mixture as you have pointed out. The one for 23 January was a postponed issue, as you have said some were overstamped so they could be reused the week after when the game was played. A new programme was issued for the 30th as well, mine is a glossy issue and I was advised at the time it was a directors vip issue----perhaps the keen guys for Derby will be able to confirm----if it is not (a vip issue) I have been conned Get My Coat

There is one way of telling the difference between the two dates--the referees. As the referees are usually given their appointments in 4 week clusters, the referee for the 23rd was already booked for the 30th and a different referee took the match----DWG Brady (for the 23rd) and HP Hackney for the 30th.[/quote]

I have a 1964/65 Manchester City dated 23 Jan 65 but overstamped 30 Jan 65, The 23rd Jan issue does not have the tribute to Winston Churchill piece on page 3 The 20 Jan 65 issue does have the Chirchill tributel Churchill's funeral was held on 30 Jan 65.

Glossy copies for Directors & VIPs/Guests seems plausible; why would anyone go to the troube of reproducing run of the mill League games? The glossy issues I have do not have the Lucky Programme No inside.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:29 am 
Post subject:

badhand wrote:
I can only think of one related to Bristol Rovers.

Bristol Rovers played away at Kettering in the FA Cup (and lost!) on 10.12.88

The match programme included a reprint of the programme from a earlier FA Cup game between the two sides on 8.1.69

As far as I remember it wasn't marked as a reprint and looks quite similar to the original.

There is one other BH. Swansea Town v Rovers 2-October-1948. A reprint of this game was given away in the Swans v Rovers programme on the 24th of February-1990

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 am 
Post subject:

Aside from the LFC ones already mentioned, annoyingly there are numerous other reprints or reproductions mostly European games.

64/65 Reykjavik home and away
64/65 Inter away (smaller copy presented with the LFC magazine)
66/67 Petrolul away (ultra rare at one time, now difficult to spot the difference betwwen original and reproduction)
72/73 Moenchengladbach final
74/75 Stromgodset away
76/77 Moenchengladbach final
77/78 Moenchengladbach away (reproduced by the club themselves)
77/78 Bruges final (reproduced by permission by "the Memorabilia Pack co")
78/79 Hamburg away
80/81 Real Madrid final
83/84 Bucharest away
84/85 Juventus final

The one that annoys me the most is the 1977 final which was originally produced by those pesky guys at the Manchester Programme Shop. (Eddie Phillips?) This was originally a pirate which has been reproduced many times and now features on official LFC merchandise such as badges t shirts and fridge magnets. I've even seen it on a scarf and the other night at West Ham, a bob cap!
Shocked Shocked
garyspain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:45 pm 
Post subject:

Footyfan wrote:

1952/53 Chelsea FA Cup
1963/64 Manchester City

Plus I have a 1964/65 Manchester City dated 23 Jan 65 but overstamped 30 Jan 65, Records show that the 23 Jan gane was postponed and a new programme issued for the following week, The 23rd Jan issue does not have the tribute to Winston Churchill piece,

Programme is since gone but I had an interesting one for Hartlepool v Manchester United 1957 FA Cup tie. There is a known reprint but they all have the same raffle number. I got a glossy one although others are matt with no raffle number. It came in a collection I bought from somebody who collected as a child in the 1950's and early 60's and stopped. Collection was mothballed. He acquired his programmes at the time by writing to clubs or swopping with other collectors. My best guess is this was a director's copy.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:06 pm 
Post subject:

garyspain wrote:
Footyfan wrote:

1952/53 Chelsea FA Cup
1963/64 Manchester City

Programme is since gone but I had an interesting one for Hartlepool v Manchester United 1957 FA Cup tie. There is a known reprint but they all have the same raffle number. I got a glossy one although others are matt with no raffle number. It came in a collection I bought from somebody who collected as a child in the 1950's and early 60's and stopped. Collection was mothballed. He acquired his programmes at the time by writing to clubs or swopping with other collectors. My best guess is this was a director's copy.

When I first started collecting as a kid in the 1960s a friend and I used to write to clubs, sending a SAE, and share whatever we received back. Some clubs were very generous and would send programmes and sometimes extras like a printed Autograph Sheet for FREE!! This was at a time before there were Club Shops etc, I remember Plymouth Argyle, Carlisle Utd and York City being very good, York City even sent a copy of their 1955 FA Cup campaign Brochure, they reached the Semi-Final.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

When I was at Liverpool a few weeks ago I went into their club shop for a nosey around. They had a boxed set of reproduction relating to one of their (many!) European Cup Finals. It was £150, and had a replica shirt, replica programme, ticket, medal and so on. The whole thing was supposedly a 'limited edition'.

I have no doubt they would sell them too!!
Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:38 pm 
Post subject:

I think a lot of the top clubs have done 'Reproduction Souvenir' Packs in recent years, I know Leeds Utd have but every item is clearly shown as being a reproduction. I have seen a few of the items listed individually on EBay being passed off as 'original'!

The Man Utd Pack is listed on EBay now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Man-Utd-Souvenir-Pack-Man-Utd-In-The-Sixties-Book-With-Souvenirs/254104296631?hash=item3b29cbdcb7:g:ZnEAAOSwYhdbIQFD:rk:50:pf:0

I do not think the glossy Derby and Blackburn programmes have come from 'Souvenir Packs'.
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:39 pm 
Post subject:

What are the differences between an original and reprint of the 1985 European Cup final programme? I seem to have inadvertently sold a reprint and (to my shame) didn't even know there were reprints Confused
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:06 pm 
Post subject:

AFC Wimbledon wrote:
What are the differences between an original and reprint of the 1985 European Cup final programme? I seem to have inadvertently sold a reprint and (to my shame) didn't even know there were reprints Confused

Difficult to distinguish if you're not scrutinising the pages in direct comparison to the original.

The reproduction has slightly thicker pages which are less glossy. The photos within are darker. Because of the thicker pages the outline of the adverts on the preceding pages can't be seen. They are visible on the original.

Wave
AFC Wimbledon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:41 pm 
Post subject:

Great, thanks very much for that.

Shame there's not "REPRINT" printed somewhere to make it easier....
Eck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:32 am 
Post subject:

Eck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:38 am 
Post subject:

The top one is genuine the bottom one is from the book "Rangers the Waddell years"
The most obvious sign looking at the cover is that the reproduction has a blue mark bottom left.
Someone tried to sell as an original recently, a few collectors sent him a message but the seller only took it down when l told him a few people had reported it to ebay.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: