Football Programmes Centre

Basil Keble Manbey Footballer?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Basil Keble Manbey Footballer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:27 pm 
Post subject: Basil Keble Manbey Footballer?

Purchased this autographed postcard/ photo recently. The seller thought he was a footballer. I think he might be rugby. I wish there was a ball at his feet! A few details about him : Born Acton 17 June 1888, lived near Essex, Served in the Royal Field Artillery, Won the Military Cross 17 Sept 1917, accidental death aged 52 ,, 17 September 1940 while serving in the Home Guard. Was living in the Surrey area at the time. Can’t find any info about Basil’s sports career, but he looks the part and l think he might have been a prominent rugby player. Can’t work out why he warranted his own postcard? Did Military Cross recipients get postcards printed at the time.? Nothing at all on back of the card. Many thanks for any help.
Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

I've found a 'B.Manbey' listed in a Leigh Rectory Yard Team in 1909/10. They played in the South Essex Amateur League in that era.

If it his him, that would make him circa 22 years old and of course there is the Essex connection. A possibility?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 pm 
Post subject: Basil Keble Manley Footballer?

Thanks Rocky, does seem to fit. Will have a look at that. Obviously a brave man during the war, but if he wasn’t a well known player, why did they produce a postcard for him? Perhaps amateur league players did have postcards produced for general sale. Something l don’t know much about.
Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 pm 
Post subject:

A little more research has unearthed that a 'B.K. Manbey' signed for Southend United at the start of the 1907/08 season.

It would appear that Southend were forming a second X1 who would be playing in the South Eastern League Division 2 and they signed a number of prominent amateurs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:38 pm 

Rocky, you’re good at this! Got to be him. I think he lived near Southend. So he was a footballer. You buy these things for a couple of quid, but half the fun is finding out who they are. Apparently the poor bloke voluntied for the Home Guard when World War Two broke out and died in some tragic accident. Thanks again.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:00 pm 
Post subject:

That's a lovely image and brilliant work by Rocky. I don't know how he finds all this stuff.

Palace were Southern League in our infancy in 1907 (Southend joined for 1908/9) and players had photos taken and turned into postcards. I've got many of them - however, none of them had a jumper or towel slung casually round their necks!

This is the Southend kit from 1906-14 per HFK and it doesn't look like the kit he's wearing but of course he may not have been a SUFC player at that time.

[img]

Dick Roberts of Palace 1907/8 (signed from Middlesbro 1905)

So I'd guess it was fairly common for a player photo to be used as a postcard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:15 pm 

Thanks Pete, could be a training top or a photo of him in Leigh’s colours before he joined Southend? Didn’t know there was a Leigh district in the Southend area. Tend to think of Up North. He had a very unusual name. Good name for rock band!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:21 pm 
Post subject:

Leigh on Sea.

Basil Manley Overdrive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
paulobee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:58 am 
Post subject:

The newspaper archives is your answer. You can find a lot about amateur footballers pre-1920 via these sources. As Rocky has found.
paulobee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:01 pm 
Post subject:

He is noted as an Insurance Clerk in the 1911 Census .

60 Boscombe Road Southend, Prittlewell, Essex

George Henley Manbey Head Married Male 56 1855 School Master Clergyman Established Church Guildford Surrey
Mary Jane Manbey Wife Married Female 59 1852 Private Means Kensington Middlesex
Cecilia Agnes Mary Manbey Daughter Single Female 28 1883 School Mistress Chiswick Middlesex
Percy Harper Manbey Son Single Male 26 1885 Clerk Chiswick Middlesex
Basil Kable Manbey Son Single Male 22 1889 Clerk Insurance Chiswick Middlesex
Mildred Amy Maud Manbey Daughter Single Female 18 1893 School Mistress Chiswick Middlesex
paulobee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:05 pm 
Post subject:

His London Gazette entry for the Military Cross.

BK Manbey - LG 17 September 1917
paulobee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:15 pm 
Post subject:

He played for Leigh Rectory Yard FC, after turning put for Southend United reserves.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:12 pm 

Paulobee, many thanks for the info. Basil looks the part, but it looks like he never hit the heights as a player. A Leigh Rectory Yard F C collector just made me a substantial offer for it, but I’m hanging on!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: