Football Programmes Centre

heavy defeat
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
heavy defeat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:21 pm 
Post subject: heavy defeat

Poor Burton fans last night, traffic then a 9-0 defeat.

The worse defeat I saw with Pompey was way back in 65/66

A drubbing of 8-2 by wolves, 6-0 in the 1st half !!!!

I remember a snow storm at halftime & was hoping they call off the match.

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:47 pm 
Post subject:

Liverpool 9 Palace 0.

9 different scorers, Geoff Thomas missed a penalty at 6-0.

My dad died the following weekend, I think reading about this game finished him off. Not really but it didn't help matters!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
DefunctClubs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:19 pm 
Post subject: FA Semi

At least Palace got revenge a short while later, a thriller is Semi winning 4-3 if my memory serves me correctly!? Im a Blue so was over the moon on this occasion Very Happy
DySporting

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 pm 
Post subject:

As an exiled Norwich fan who doesn’t get to their games anymore due to Rochdale commitments

I was the 8-0 drubbing of Sutton United in the FAC 4th Round - Malcolm Allen with 4, Robert Fleck with 3 and I think it was Trevor Putney with the other

Take photos at a 7-1 victory and 7-1 defeat for Rochdale victory away at Stockport defeat at home to Shrewsbury.
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:52 pm 
Post subject:

seen Arsenal win 10-1 at Barnet in a friendly but biggest competitive win was 7-0 away to Standard Liege in 1993-94 Cup winners Cup
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 am 
Post subject:

I trekked down from Aberdeen to Barnsley in 1984 to see a relegation-threatened Derby lose 1-5 at Oakwell.
It's one thing to lose a game but that 90 minutes wlll always stay with me in that it's the only time I've ever seen "live" a team who obviously couldn't care less.
Criticism should be aimed equally at Barnsley for not reaching double figures that day.

And the half-time coffee was lousy.....
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:35 am 
Post subject: heavy defeat

I have been present to see Spurs hit nine on three occasions.

Keflavik 9-0 in the UEFA Cup in 1971 (we also hit six in the away leg and Graeme Souness made his only appearance for the club too).

Bristol Rovers 9-0 in 1977 where Ian Moores scored his only hat trick for the club, but was overshadowed by Colin Lee netting four on his debut.

Wigan 9-1 in 2009 where Jermaine Defoe hit five in the second half.

The worst defeat I was present at was in 1978 at Anfield where Liverpool tore us apart and won 7-0. Ironically, John Duncan should have put us ahead early on when we broke through and were three players v Ray Clemence. I think the fact that we got near their goal upset them!
I was also attacked on the way to the ground in Stanley Park and on the way out of Merseyside, the coach had all it's windows put through by a bombardment of bricks. Not the best of days, but one that I will never forget.
whitenoize

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:24 pm 
Post subject:

West Ham 10 Bury 0 League Cup 1983
Blackburn 7 West Ham 1 Prem Lge 2001
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:38 pm 
Post subject:

Didn't West Ham then sign Paul Hilton the Bury centre half after the drubbing.....

7-0 at Brentford was my Argyle nightmare...the night the fans and Shilton finally parted company...up until then he had been retaining support but it was so abject as he walked down the touchline he got the Cheerio cheerio chant and cheerfully waved...at that point we all knew and he was gone not long after.

Luckily as an exile I was spared the epic journey home to dwell on it!
cornwallwhite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:30 pm 
Post subject:

Yes they signed Paul Hilton after that game. I did see today on ebay a testimonial programme for him at west ham
slightfold

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:42 pm 
Post subject:

In 1961 I saw Cardiff City defeat Knighton Town 16-0 in a 5th round Welsh Cup tie.
Talk about a turkey shoot, I seem to remember them trying to make sure everyone got on the score sheet !!
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 pm 
Post subject:

Biggest score I ever saw was Palace Reserves 11 West Ham Reserves 0
It was at the end of the 90/91 season.
Palace had to complete their reserve league fixtures by a certain date, which meant playing their last 2 games on two days running.
As a result, in this game they played most of the 1st team including the prolific Ian Wright and Mark Bright forward pairing! The 1st team had just finished 3rd in the top flight, so were pretty handy!
Meanwhile, West Ham Reserves was made up of mostly 16 and 17 year old kids!
It was a mismatch to say the least!

In terms of first team games I saw Palace beat Southend 8-0 in the league cup. Wright and Bright got a hattrick each so gave the match ball to charity
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: heavy defeat

Five and In wrote:

Bristol Rovers 9-0 in 1977 where Ian Moores scored his only hat trick for the club, but was overshadowed by Colin Lee netting four on his debut.

God that brings back bad memories. For some reason I had agreed to go to the theater of screams (Trashton Gate) with my brother in law that day to see the dark side. On the way out another friend recognized me and shouted to everyone that a Rovers fan was there. I thought I was going to die. But No!. I just got thousands (It felt like it anyway) of the barstewerds chanting all manor of crap at me. Never wanted to get away from a ground as much as I did that day.
Biggest win I've seen was 7-0 against Alfreton on the last day of the regular season in out one Conference year.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
drfc4ever

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:17 pm 
Post subject:

I had the pleasure of watching every Doncaster game in our fateful 97/98 season, this consisted of two 8-0 defeats (Nottm Forest and Orient), a 7-1 at Cardiff and various other drubbings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doncasterroversprogrammes/sets
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
Biggest score I ever saw was Palace Reserves 11 West Ham Reserves 0

I saw Falmouth Town's reserves win 13-0 at Penzance circa 1988 (I was on holiday in the area).
My main memory of that day was a very nice lady coming round at half time with a tea urn and giving the crowd (all 20 or so of us) a free cuppa!

And Falmouth had a player in their team with grey hair who shouted a lot.
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:55 pm 
Post subject:

In 1987 I remember seeing Gillingham beat Chesterfield 10-0 at Priestfield, the match before they had beaten Southend 8-1

Barnet first game in the league I saw Crewe win 7-4 at Underhill, Barnet's next game, 5-5 v I think Brentford in the league cup
Popsider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:57 pm 
Post subject:

15th September 1976 - Derby County 12 Finn Harps 0. It was 7-0 after half an hour and 9-0 at half time. The second half felt like an anti climax! As I recall it Derby were superb and tore them apart, but the mind plays tricks on you. Look up this game on You Tube and you can see how awful the Irish side was - they played like a (poor) pub team!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:12 am 
Post subject:

Popsider wrote:
15th September 1976 - Derby County 12 Finn Harps 0.

A five goal haul for Kevin Hector.

At least Harps found the net in the second leg.

A pity they couldn't see fit to issue a programme, though!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:23 am 
Post subject:

Back in 1984 when I had a Betamax VCR, I recorded "Sportscene" when it covered the highlights of the Scottish Cup first round tie between Stirling Albion and Selkirk which finished 20-0 to the home side.

Still got the tape.

The cameras only managed to catch 19 of the 20 goals.....the Selkirk 'keeper (who was only a teenager) was interviewed after the game (and looks a degree or two beyond shellshocked).....as was the Selkirk player-manager who admits Stirling were "the better team".

The Selkirk bench do possess a sense of humour, though - they all hold up a piece of white paper when the 17th goal goes in as if to signify "we surrender"!

I wrote to Selkirk FC after the game asking if they had a copy of the programme they could sell to me. They kindly sent that plus a team photograph (which I seem to have mislaid...though it'll be around somewhere) as well as a brochure detailing the club history.

Very kind of the club indeed,was that.

Programme:

BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:25 am 
Post subject:

Barnsley beat Huddersfield 7-1 live on Sky on 27th November 1998. We were actually 6-0 up at half time and I was hoping for double figures, but we took our foot off the gas in the 2nd half. If Hignett had scored a penalty early in the second half to go 7-0 at that time it might have happened.

One of the best goals ever scored at Oakwell by Darren Barnard - check it out on You Tube

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barnsleycollector/29084062515/in/album-72157669554425913/
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: