Football Programmes Centre

Peter Thompson RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Peter Thompson RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:16 pm 
Post subject: Peter Thompson RIP

Sad to hear about the death of Peter Thompson. A great winger. Didn’t the legendary Everton hero ,Dixie Dean , say in the 1960s , “ lf I’d played played centre- forward , with Peter Thompson and lan Callaghan feeding me those crosses, l would have scored l00 league goals in one season, never mind 60!”
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:29 pm 
Post subject:

I was surprised to see he won as many as 16 England caps, seeing as for most of his career England were the "wingless wonders". Great left winger who played over 550 league games for his 3 clubs, as shown here

At Preston, 1962, aged 20

At Liverpool, 1970, just missing out on a WC squad place

And at Bolton, 1976, aged 34

RIP Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bluejames

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:28 pm 
Post subject:

RIP
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:32 pm 
Post subject:

An obit was printed in last Friday's ipaper (4.1.19) which I salvaged from our bin just now. My other half does like a good tidy up!

Writer is Phil Shaw who seems to have taken over obit duties from Ivan Ponting. I remember Phil from back in the day, think he wrote for the Independent and When Saturday Comes, but I may be wrong there. Believe also he writes on music. Anyway, I digress. A nice obit for a top player.

RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:07 pm 
Post subject: Peter Thompson RIP

I remember Peter getting interviewed on radio, probably Radio Merseyside or City in the 1990s. One of the things he talked about was that he felt that he really should have scored more goals. He said he could beat one man, then another but when he realised he was in on goal, his head went blurred , he then panicked and just blasted the ball. Sometimes it went in, most times the ball sailed into the crowd. I suppose this is probably why the players that remain composed in front of goal,, , such as Greaves, Rush, Harry Kane are worth a fortune. I like the story about Bill Shankly being spotted at Deepdale mid 1960s. He was scouting Howard Kendall. He had already taken Gordon Milne and Peter Thompson from Preston. Apparently a chant erupted in the crowd “ Stay Away Shankly” or words to that effect! As we know, Kendall was sold to arch rivals Everton.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: