Football Programmes Centre

The Yardbirds at Cambridge City FC 1967
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Yardbirds at Cambridge City FC 1967

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:54 pm 
Post subject: The Yardbirds at Cambridge City FC 1967

I know this is a long shot, but I have been trying to research concert appearances by the rock band The Yardbirds during 1967. Apparently, they appeared at the Cambridge City Supporters Club on the 28 April 1967, along with Spencer Davies, Family, The Breed and Mood lndego. Then once again exactly the same line-up appeared on the bank holiday 29/ 5/ 67. The 29 May bank holiday date has been confirmed. The 28April is a puzzle. Are there any Cambridge City fans on the forum who can confirm the 28 April date? Were these concerts advertised in the Cambridge City, or Cambridge United programmes at the time? Many thanks for any help.
slightfold

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 pm 
Post subject:

By coincidence I am a good friend of Top Topham, but he had left before 1967 to be replaced by some guy named Clapton. As 1967 was 'the summer of love' it might be difficult to find anyone whose memory can be relied upon! Perhaps you could try the Cambridge clubs' forums?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:36 am 
Post subject: The Yardbirds At Cambridge City

Slightfold, many thanks for the response. I will try your idea about contacting the clubs. I am not a Yardbirds fanatic, saying that, l did see them a few years back in Llandudno with Top in the line up. They were on with The Zombies, The Animals( the drummer was the only original member) and The Yardbirds. To be honest , although l enjoyed them all, The Yardbirds left the others standing. Still a great band! If you see Top tell him so. I think Top has left them since. What it is , I have got an original Cambridge City poster for a ‘Beat Night’ at the Supporters Club 28 April 1967. The only group advertised on the poster were named Mood lndigo( David Essex in the line up) . A member of Mood lndigo has mentioned on a forum that The Yardbirds, Spencer Davies , Family and The Breed were also on that night. Not doubting this chap, but , as you said , it was a long time ago. Just trying to verify if the others played there that night.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:23 pm 
Post subject:

Many, many, moons ago - 44 years ago now - I attended this one day Festival at the Valley. The Who, Humble Pie ,Lou Reed , Bad Company . Lindisfarne, Maggie Bell, Montrose were the artists appearing.

I used to go to festivals / concerts all over the UK back then. I still go to festivals now at 64 years of age, though much closer to home so my carer doesn't get worn out!

First ever Festival was Bardney in 1972. I remember some of what went on, but having discovered "funny" fags there I rather over indulged in them because they made me laugh so much. We managed to get into the site for nothing as th fences really weren't that high. Good job as well as we had very little money. Managed to liberate about 100 programmes from somewhere which a friend and I sold inside the site to keep us going over the four days.

Helen Reddy didn't show up on the Saturday, so Rory Gallagher took her place, so I saw him twice in two days. Look at the quality of the bands appearing and think if you'd ever get something like it now. Compared to Glastonbury it just blows them out of the water.

Strange days indeed....

Friday May 26th
Main stage

Alexis Korner
Doctor Ross
Buddy Miles
Rory Gallagher

Saturday May 27th
Main stage

Nazareth
Locomotive GT
Roxy Music
Heads, Hands and Feet
Wishbone Ash
Helen Reddy did not perform replaced by Rory Gallagher
The Strawbs
Stone The Crows
The Faces

Sunday May 28th
Main stage

Natural Acoustic Band
Focus
Brewers Droop
Spencer Davis
Incredible String Band
Lindisfarne
Average White Band
Persuasions
Slade
Monty Python's Flying Circus
The Beach Boys
Monday May 29th
Main stage

Jackson Heights
Atomic Rooster
Vinegar Joe
Sutherland Brothers
Genesis. ****
Status Quo
Don McLean
Humble Pie
Sha Na Na
Joe Cocker

Giants of Tomorrow Tent
Giants of Tomorrow Tent Giants of Tomorrow Tent

Budgie
Walrus
Skin Alley
Tea and Sympathy
Mark Ashton
Capability Brown
Sunrise
Byzantium
Akido
Sleaze Band
Smith Perkins and Smith
Patto
Bitch
Jonesy
Good Habit
Demmick and Armstrong
Gnidrolog
Spreadeagle
Morgan
Magic Carpet
Mahatma Kane Jeeves
Jade Warrior
Curtis Maldoon
Folk Tent
Al Matthews
Derek Brimstone
C.O.B.
Silvo and Moses
Folk Tent:

Hamish Imlach
Harvey Andrews
Bridget St. John
Colin Scott
J.S.D. Band
Folk Tent:

Mick Softley
Anne Briggs
Jonathan Kelly
Boys of the Lough
*** Genesis actually performed on the day before , contrary to the programmed schedule.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:19 pm 
Post subject: The Yardbirds at Cambrige

Auchinleckian,, some great names there. Saw a lot of them, but never got to see The Beachboys. I bet Brian wasn’t with them.Check out the Mike Love autobiography if you get a chance. Sha Na Na, totally crazy. I was also at The Charlton 74 event. From memory it was roasting hot. Smuggled in two flagons of cider to keep me going. Lou Reed with dyed red hair. Some say Humble Pie topped The Who, but to me The Who we’re in a different league. Can’t believe Helen Reddy was replaced by the great Rory Gallagher. A bit like Hendrix replacing Dana! Apparently Rory was asked to join The Stones, but knocked them back. Saw him with Taste, what a talent!
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:38 pm 
Post subject:

Shows how puddled I was there. It was only when I came across the Bardney link online that I realised the Beach Boys hadn't headlined on the Monday night with Sha Na Na and Joe Cocker. I'd been telling everybody for years that it must have been the greatest closing set going. Whatever you do kids, don't do drugs!

You're right about Sha Na Na, but I'm amazed at how many folk have never heard of them. They'll have heard of Danny and the Juniors but not them.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 pm 
Post subject: The Yardbirds at Cambridge City FC 1967

Auchinleckian,, the passing of time has a strange effect on the memory. For many years l thought The Who at Charlton was August Bank Holiday 74. Obviously , the ticket states that it was May 74..Like you, l even kept the ticket stubs( signed by Townshend) , now gone. My wife , who was heavily pregnant, was with me . She also thought it was August. We became parents five weeks later, so we have got strong memories of the period. Her parents told her that she must be crazy travelling to London from up North, so close to having a baby. None of this is important, but you begin to think you have been living in a parallel universe . Both of us really can’t make sense of it. It’s all very strange. Help Shocked
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:05 pm 
Post subject:

Flaming Pie
If your wife gave birth five weeks later your child was born towards the end of June the Who at Charlton(I was also there in the middle of the pitch) could not have been August Bank Holiday.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:41 pm 
Post subject: The Yardbirds at Cambridge City 1967

se20blue,, just worked it out . It was another wife and it was Dave Dee , Dozy, Beaky, Mich and Tich at The London Lyceum😀
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:52 pm 
Post subject:

Useless trivia:

One of The Yardbirds ' claims to fame was being the featured band on the cult classic 1967 "Blow Up" movie. (performing "Train Keeps A Rollin'" from memory).

Funny thing is, they weren't originally chosen to appear in the film and only did so because Tomorrow (featuring, amongst others, future Yes guitarist Steve Howe) who had agreed to appear had attended rehearsals and, ahem, shall we say, "misbehaved".

They were thrown off set (even the Summer of Love had its limits!), Clapton and the band stepped in and there you are.

Tomorrow's one and only LP (on Parlophone) is, to be fair, a real gem of the era and worth a fortune if you can find a decent copy. Their raucous set at the 14 Hour Technicolor Dream in April 67 held at the Alexandra Palace had a limited release on vinyl a few years back.

Oh for a time machine.....
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:55 am 
Post subject:

Amazing stories here and what line-ups!

I can remember thinking of going to the Valley in 1974 but I was just establishing myself in the cricket 1st team and didn't want to lose my place. Some mates went and I was very jealous.

I also remember seeing "Blow-Up" at school when games was rained off, or some other flimsy reason. Great film with the dreadful Vanessa Redgrave as a model or bimbo. First time I'd seen the Yardbirds in any shape or form, I think. That would have been about 1970.

Anyway it's a big long Love from me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:28 am 
Post subject: The Yardbirds at Cambridge City

Pete,, talking of cricket, one of the greatest rock awaydays for me was at The Oval 1971. Once again, The Who topped the Bill and showed all the others, including The Faces with Rod, how it should be done. I think Moon ran on stage with two cricket bats in his hands and started to blast the drums!. A bit of a nasty atmosphere at this one though , with bottles flying through the air and lots of cut heads . What happened to the Peace and Love stuff? Some say Charlton 74 was similar, but l never witnessed anything bad. It was just too crowded . I think in those days they just sold as many tickets as they could, with health and safety taking a back seat. . I think Vanessa was beautiful Pete,,but it could just be me being an old lefty!
Auchinleckian,, ‘ Train kept A Comin’ is now on YouTube with Jimmy Page on guitar. Watching it shows just how good ( especially Keith Relf) they were. Back to the original question , a lovely lad named Neil, who is the Cambridge City historian, got in contact and thinks the only time that The Yardbirds played at Cambridge City FC was on May Bank Holiday 1967.He is checking out the other date. Thanks to Slightfold for suggesting getting in contact with the club itself.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:53 am 
Post subject:

Talking of rock legends.....the Dooleys once played at our school.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:04 am 
Post subject: The Yardbirds at Cambridge 1967

Sharrow, even The Dooleys we’re better than Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mich and Tich. The strange thing is, someone once pointed out that during the 1960s they spent more time in the charts than The Beatles. Don’t know if this true?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:15 am 
Post subject:

Peace and love died at Altamont
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:40 pm 
Post subject:

That's when a BIG brown patch appeared on the bum of Jagger's jeans!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: