Football Programmes Centre

Any ideas on writing on Norwich 1962 FA Cup prog means?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Any ideas on writing on Norwich 1962 FA Cup prog means?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dereksuffolk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:16 pm 
Post subject: Any ideas on writing on Norwich 1962 FA Cup prog means?

Hi
Any ideas what this writing is on centre pages of a Norwich v Ipswich prog from 1962. I don't think it is autographs but strange place to write over teams Regards Derek
kenners46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:18 pm 
Post subject:

I would say its a national insurance numbers with self employed underneath and how much he got
dereksuffolk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:58 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks , makes sense. Wonder why they used the programme to write it down?
Regards
Derek
seand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:15 pm 
Post subject:

dereksuffolk wrote:
Thanks , makes sense. Wonder why they used the programme to write it down?
Regards
Derek

Only piece of paper available to hand at the time? We had a thread once I think about unusual stuff written in/on programmes. I had one with a partial shopping list. Didn't someone on here have a programme with a girl's phone number, that turned into a long term relationship? Again the only piece of paper available at the time
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

A few years ago on here I mentioned how, a long time back, I'd come across a series of initials scribbled on the inside of an Aprli 1953 Chelsea programme. Thought nothing about it other than whoever wrote them had a highly distinctive way of portraying the letter 'H' in the initials 'H.M."

I came across that very same 'H' some time later - in a photograph of a letter written by the notorious London serial killer John Reginald Christie as reproduced in a book.

I had read Ludovic Kennedy's book "10 Rillington Place" so went back to look up the names of the other women he'd killed and, sure enough, the other initials scribbled in the programme matched those.

It's also mentioned in Kennedy's book how Christie occasionally visited Stamford Bridge when he could.

Now I know it's 99.999% certain it's not.....but I photcopied the programme page (these were pre-scanner days) and sent that and my findings to him c/o his publisher and asked him if it was possible he might use his knowledge of the case to give an opinion as to whether the original owner of the programme might be Christie himself. Even the timing matched the sequence of the crime (last one committed in April 1953....a woman by the name of Hectorina McLennan....there's the letter 'H').

I didn't really expect a reply but, a couple of weeks later, one did arrive from LK's Wiltshire home. "More than possible", he opined, adding "Christie also used to officiate as a referee on an amateur level"

I still think it's highly unlikely to be what my flight of fancy imagines it might be but I'll hang on to it as an unusual curio.

I suppose there's no definitive proof either way!

As the original poster mentioned, you're never sure what you'll find in programmes. Nor what people idly doodle at half-time when no other piece of paper is at hand....
fishponder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:55 pm 
Post subject: Re: Any ideas on writing on Norwich 1962 FA Cup prog means?

dereksuffolk wrote:
Hi
Any ideas what this writing is on centre pages of a Norwich v Ipswich prog from 1962. I don't think it is autographs but strange place to write over teams Regards Derek

I hope the 81-43-65 weren't his wifes measurements!
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:30 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:

I still think it's highly unlikely to be what my flight of fancy imagines it might be but I'll hang on to it as an unusual curio.

That's an incredible story, and a lot of things suggest it might well be what you imagine it to be.

I think I'd get the chills if it was in my collection though.

I wouldn't mind betting it would go pretty well at auction if you could get any further provenance or authentication - there's a pretty big (if grisly) market in crime-related stuff. And people think programme collectors are weird...
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: