Football Programmes Centre

Postcard: Manchester United v Portsmouth FA Cup Replay 1906-
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Postcard: Manchester United v Portsmouth FA Cup Replay 1906-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:19 pm 
Post subject: Postcard: Manchester United v Portsmouth FA Cup Replay 1906-

For all the Portsmouth collectors on the forum, a postcard from the brilliant Stephen Cribb, taken at Bank Street, Clayton[Manchester] with the Chemical Works belching out all the filth into the air!.

You cannot see the Chimneys but you can see the smoke and all the other shit it must have sent out into the air, it is said that the factory would operate on matchdays, the locals were used to it but the opposing players and their travelling supporters were certainly not!, United's 12th man back then!.

Anyone got anything similar from the first Cup Tie at Portsmouth?.

New items recently uploaded here www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/ or to view the entire site it is www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:52 pm 
Post subject:

Looks like Pompey won though Leslie, so that tactic didn't always work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:31 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:

Like in life many plans go awary, this was one of them!

United went to Portsmouth and drew 2-2 in front of 34,320, 4 days later the return in the grimy Bank Street ground saw Pompey triumph 2-1 but the records show only a crowd of around 15,000 were present as it was an early mid week kick off and if you worked at the chemical works that day you were f@@@ed! Laughing

What made it worse is that Portsmouth were not even in the First Division like United were!.

The scene shows how basic the game was back then, the grass in August was 6" tall but by the time it got to this game in January the pitch was probably threadbare, boot it and hoof it!

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:54 pm 
Post subject:

Cracking Photographic postcard Leslie. I’ve PM you! Thumbs Up
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:41 am 
Post subject:

Sold at auction last week for a hammer price of £850, by the time buyer premium and VAT is added, cost over a grand. More than the gate money taken back then.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:20 am 
Post subject:

That is a truly fantastic postcard...…………

But you have to draw the line somewhere, don't you?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:29 am 
Post subject:

nutfield priory wrote:

Sold at auction last week for a hammer price of £850, by the time buyer premium and VAT is added, cost over a grand. More than the gate money taken back then.

i also watched the auction last week, did you buy it?. i already had it so i was pleased with what it went for, estimate was 30 to 50. At least 2 to 3 or so fought over it then that can happen and it goes thru the roof.

From the United aspect a very rare card showing the old ground, images of Bank Street in Clayton are very very few and far between hence the high price, but 6 months ago a postcard showing the Reading v MU cup tie 1912 with the 2 captains hammered just under a 1000 with an action scene hitting around 460 hammer. I did not have the 2 captains card but the bidding was non stop, i had the action scene already so not that fussed which i paid just over a 100 3 months earlier.

That is how it goes, maybe MUFC were bidding as they do not have that much preWW1??, especially as I took all my stuff out 10 years ago & now have items in the National Football Museum-a really well run operation by professional people.

Wave

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: