Football Programmes Centre

Ajax v Tottenham - good result for many!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ajax v Tottenham - good result for many!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangerine

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:45 am 
Post subject: Ajax v Tottenham - good result for many!

Turin21041999

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:54 am 
Post subject:

These programmes are definitely not home made. I have bought from this seller in the past and the programmes that they sell are absolute quality in terms of the content and in the absence of an official issue. They take a lot of time, effort and money to produce. These programmes are available at the stadium which separates them from every other edition that appears on Ebay, that are actually home made.
Driver8

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:21 pm 
Post subject:

They may not be ‘hand made’ but how unique do they feel given that, I assume, they are produced by the same person / entity. They are neither described as official or unofficial.

They claim to have been ‘obtained in own person’. Is this the ebay vendor claiming they were at the ground buying someone else’s programme or they took along their own to sell? Whilst it is likely the Tottenham v Ajax effort issue may have been on sale in Amsterdam, given that the seller is based in The Netherlands, I have my doubts all the other issues were ‘obtained in own person’ or ‘directly from’ as is claimed. From the other items currently for sale they have been to Munich (vs Liverpool), Paris (vs Manchester United), Barcelona (vs Manchester United and Tottenham), Milan (vs Tottenham) – really?

Even if they did go to all these cities, as claimed, did they also attend the match or just stand outside the ground buying / selling ? It would be interesting to hear from anyone on the forum who actually bought one of the programmes at the ground rather than via ebay.

At the end of the day if you want to pay £20 for a non-official issue (in the absence of an official issue) then that is one’s choice. I personally wouldn’t buy one, especially something that isn’t even produced in the country of the competing club or (I doubt) wasn’t available at the game.
Turin21041999

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:48 pm 
Post subject:

I can only speak for the Manchester United issues and I bought the programmes that are being sold by this seller in Turin, Valencia, Paris and Barcelona at the various stadiums on match day. Quality items, well produced and in the absence of an official issue a great souvenir.

Do UEFA and FIFA always produce their programmes in the host country of their tournaments?

I can remember some of the Manchester United American tour programmes being produced in England.

How do you feel about WH Smith producing programmes from early cup finals?

It is entirely up to yourself and a personal choice as to whether you buy one or not.

Last edited by Turin21041999 on Mon May 13, 2019 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Driver8

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

Did you actually buy the Manchester United issues at the grounds in Turin, Valencia, Paris and Barcelona on the match day or via ebay?

With regards to UEFA produced programmes these relate only to finals, where a ‘home’ club isn’t involved so someone would need to take ownership for production. These, of course, are available at the ground on match day, which is my main gripe with the Netherlands produced issues, unless someone can substantiate they were available in all the cities claimed. Before UEFA took over the control of producing finals programmes they were produced by the national association of the country hosting the game. This did result sometimes in non issues e.g. European Cup 1965 and 1970, both in Milan. Italy not having a tradition of issuing programmes.

The issue about WH Smith producing programmes from early cup finals is from an era before programme issuing had yet to be fully established, and again related to a final on a neutral ground and not a game for a ‘home’ match.

It might be worth asking manchesterunitedman1 if he buys these unofficial issues, in the absence of anything else.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:56 am 
Post subject:

Turin21041999 wrote:
These programmes are definitely not home made. I have bought from this seller in the past and the programmes that they sell are absolute quality in terms of the content and in the absence of an official issue. They take a lot of time, effort and money to produce. These programmes are available at the stadium which separates them from every other edition that appears on Ebay, that are actually home made.

£20 for a programme where he can run off as many copies as he likes? bottom line is that it's all about making money and lots of it, nothing else. Sadly plenty have fallen for it.

Aren't people happy these days with considering a game to be a "non-issue"?

As for whether I would buy, no, although if I actually saw a seller at the stadium and he was selling them for £3 then I probably would.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:26 pm 
Post subject:

This seller is deliberately vague and ambiguous about what he sells and I'm not convinced he actually sells what he prints outside the grounds

Worthless kitchen
bluejames

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:21 pm 
Post subject:

Twenty quid for an unofficial programme.No thanks.You'd never recoup your money and to try to justify by saying it has great content is plain daft.You can buy a current monthly soccer magazine.full of very interesting content written by professional journalists for a fiver.
A well written monthly magazine like programme monthly costs less than £5.
If there was no programme i would buy a couple of newspapers of the match day, as they would cost only a pound or so each and put them with my match ticket
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:23 pm 
Post subject:

I've got some of the home made issues for Welsh clubs in Europe but picked them up dirt cheap and they are marked in my collection as pirate/unofficial issues.

I'd never pay £20 for one though no matter how professional it looked and what the content was like.
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:58 pm 
Post subject:

A teamsheet, ticket and maybe a newspaper of the day (eg Gazetta in Italy etc) suffices for me in the absence of a programme
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:21 pm 
Post subject:

I collected Manchester United European aways for many years, and would buy a pirate if they cost a few quid. Sometimes, I even bought them alongside any official issue. Eventually, the rising price of Euro aways saw me stop buying any aways at all.

I now collect the teamsheets, and print these from the UEFA website, rather than buy papers or pirates. I try to then buy original versions of the sheets but many of these are now over-priced IMO on Ebay, although I appreciate that it may require privileged access/ticket prices to access the areas of the ground to get the stocks to sell. Buyers have to cover their costs to get out there in the first place, so good luck to them, but I aren't prepared to spend £5-£10 on an A4 colour sheet.

Everyone has their own parameters as to what they choose to collect and rightly so, but £20 for a pirate does seem a bit OTT. I'd have stopped sooner had they all been that much for sure ! You pays yer money, and takes yer choice, as an old teacher of mine used to say.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: